Advice please Caribbean ports and deals :-)

Hello Vicki

We had outside cabin twice but next time we booked an inside as we hardly spend any time in the cabins & I would never bother with an outside again - we keep the TV on at night on the webcam channel which shows the front of the ship that way you get the natural daylight coming into your cabin via your TV screen!!! They have curtains instead of a window so it just feels like you have your curtains shut all the time!!!

Wow! 2 cruises to look forward to - lucky you ;):)

Thanks Julie, i know, how daft am i ?? :eek:

Just must have had a funny moment of abandonment ...lol ..:rolleyes:

I like the look of the inside cabins on Dream, lighter walls etc so will be fine im sure, darent book anything dearer but its made me see just how much you can save on a cabin !

Think we've gone a bit daft on Majesty paying £300 to upgrade but will make the best of it and keep nipping out on deck late at night and first think in morning to get my moneys worth haha !!!

Had bottom deck or one up in the past but an outside so at least we will be trying out all area's !:D

We loved our deck 6 inside cabin in January on Dream, so hoping we get similar when we go back Jan 19th for my birthday back to back cruise.

We too left the TV on at night as it gives a bit of a glow in the cabin and I found that I was getting up around 6am to see spots of lights from the camera on the front of the ship to indicate that the next island was on the horizon, so would go to the front to see the sunrise and watch us getting into the port. I loved the quiet of the ship in the morning.

Thanks Dreamgirl and Kruzeeker

I've read those links and they everywhere sound great. There are a few different ports of call on our itinerary.

These are; Mayreau (grenadine islands), St Barths and Kingstown (St Vincent), has anyone any info on these places?

Margaret

Thanks Dreamgirl and Kruzeeker

I've read those links and they everywhere sound great. There are a few different ports of call on our itinerary.

These are; Mayreau (grenadine islands), St Barths and Kingstown (St Vincent), has anyone any info on these places?

Margaret

Hi again,

The first two we haven't been to but here is a copy of the post I did about Kingstown;

St Vincent

Another new place to us. We decided to take the water taxi to Villa Beach which seems to be the nearest to the port. The water taxi wasn’t cheap at 15$ return each! After paying 8$ the previous day I thought this was a bit of a rip off – but DH thought it was great value – on the grounds that it was like a good fair-ground ride! We just about took off – bouncing at great speed and bumping along the waves with a spray several metres high, Zap Cat fashion! The folk in the back got quite wet but it was a thriller!

The setting was picture postcard – although the beach wasn't the best we’d seen in terms of facilities and the sand but the sea was lovely – and no stones to get past.

You get a wrist band from your water taxi for the return trip but make sure which company you’re with as there are at least two – so negotiate with them for return times.

We went back early afternoon and wandered off into Kingstown looking for a bar or somewhere for a drink. It’s a lively bustling town, but with no facilities we could find for tourists. There were local markets, lots of activity but no bars we could see at all so it may be best to make more of your day at the beach or go on a trip as there wasn’t much in the town to see imo.

As I remember although we were able to get beach loungers, there were no umbrellas and we had to keep shuffling around to try to get under the shade of the trees at the back of the beach. The beach wasn't soft sand - a bit gritty really. It's a lovely setting as you will see from the pictures but they make the sand look softer than it really is.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Villa+Beach+st+vincent&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8sf&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jq1UUZSnHoXGPL61gcAD&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=584

One of the destinations team came on the power boat with us but instead of settling on Villa Beach got straight on another little boat to go across to the little island directly across from Villa Beach. U thinj that was only $2. It looked idyllic but I think it was a resort hotel which I have read doesn't always accept visitors.

It might be worth doing a bit of research on Google Earth to see what hotel it is across from Villa Beach (which is more or less round the corner from Kingstown). You can always email to find out if they have day visitors.

To be absolutely honest if we were to go to St Vincent again I think I'd try to research other beaches too before we went so that I had a better idea of what there was around. I'd seen reviews of a beach hotel on this Villa Beach which I thought we might go to which is why we headed off there but it was closed so I was a bit disappointed. Villa Beach is fine but I would like to know if there was anything I thought may be better before going back and for the price of the boat ride to get there that would buy a taxi to somewhere further afield if necessary.

Sorry that probably hasn't been too helpful Margaret - more questions than answers but at least it's all more info to put into the mix! :confused:

Thanks again Kruzeeka

Your info on St Vincent is really helpful. I know we have 11months to wait but having never been to the Carribean before I'm really excited.

Still we have 2 weeks on the Dream to look forward to at the beginning of June first so need to look through previous threads for our ports of call.

Have a lovely Easter, we have some sun today in the north east, hooray!

We visited Mayreau on Ocean Village in 2004. At that time there were only 250 inhabitants and it is very small island about 1 1/2 miles long.

As there were no beach facilities to speak of the OV arranged to set up a bar and BBQ on the beach, with the ship's crew coming ashore with all the equipment by tender.

There was a band playing, (can't remember if they were locals or the ships band?)

I remember there was a guy going up and down in a little boat calling out Lobster for sale. My husband went out in the boat to the lobster pots and selected a lobster, which was then cooked in a shack on the beach, by a local woman.

It was an idylic way to end our 14 night cruise.

I wonder how much it has all changed since 2004.

Lorraine

Archived