Vain woman needs help with horrible cruise hair!!

Aurora2143

I have thick hair that has loose wave at the ends (meaning I can get it pretty straight with just the blow dryer). About two years ago, I was getting "halo frizz" at the crown of my head. The only thing that fixed it was when I started using shampoo that is sodium laurel sulfate free. Since I've gone SLS free, I don't have the halo frizz! SLS is a detergent and is in almost every brand of shampoo - even the high end stuff. It strips the natural oils from your hair which can cause the frizz.

My favorite SLS-free brands are Alba and Renpure - both available in drug stores. Alba has a coconut milk formula that smells like a tropical holiday. :)

Love reading this thread because I thought I had the worst hair in the world! My whole life, people always complimented me on my hair - whether it was long or short. Well Men-o-pause hit me with a vengeance - mainly in my hair! It is absolutely awful and even hairdressers can't do much but cut it 2 inches long all over my head. When the grey started coming in, it decided to be curly and frizzy - like someone said - "the halo effect". I do keep it dyed but that doesn't make the grey hair straight - just a different color halo. For the ladies who said they got wigs, let me tell you they have changed my life! Over the past couple of years, I have bought 7 wigs. I have long, short, medium length - red, blonde, dark, highlighted, etc. When I first decided I wanted one, DH was very apprehensive so I asked him to come to the wig store with me. He had visions of those kind of "plasticy" looking wigs from the 60's and 70's. What we found was awesome - they are so realistic these days - no one can tell you are wearing a wig. And the most I have ever paid is $150 (for a long wig) so quite a bargain - I would spend more than that going to the beauty shop. DH fell in love with me in them - now I rarely go out of the house without a wig on. And, I live in S. FL and they are not hot - the wigs now are made with a very loose, open weave cap so you don't get hot. So for anyone willing to give it a try - go to your local wig shop and just try some on - keep in mind that some are not perfect - I sometimes need to trim the bangs and things when I get home. And try on different colors, lengths and sizes - you need to find what fits and suits you and your personality. And keep in mind ladies - my DH can choose which wife he wants today - based upon which wig I wear! ;)

Checking back in on the It's A 10 Plus Keratin. I've been using the shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in potion. I don't use the shampoo every day, but always condition and condition. I've never said this in my life, but I LOVE MY HAIR!

BTW, the shampoo is SLS free and the conditioners are paraben free. I thought I loved my last shampoo condition combo - Biolage Exquisite Oils - but this beats it by a mile. This combo, blown dry with my John Frieda styler and it stays smooth all day. I was afraid that all this conditioning would make it look greasy, lank, and thin, but I think the Keratin is improving the quality of my hair and it looks thick and full and feels like satin.

Between my hair and my new gorgeous dresses, I'll be hunting down the photographers on my next cruise.

Checking back in on the It's A 10 Plus Keratin. I've been using the shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in potion. I don't use the shampoo every day, but always condition and condition. I've never said this in my life, but I LOVE MY HAIR!

BTW, the shampoo is SLS free and the conditioners are paraben free. I thought I loved my last shampoo condition combo - Biolage Exquisite Oils - but this beats it by a mile. This combo, blown dry with my John Frieda styler and it stays smooth all day. I was afraid that all this conditioning would make it look greasy, lank, and thin, but I think the Keratin is improving the quality of my hair and it looks thick and full and feels like satin.

Between my hair and my new gorgeous dresses, I'll be hunting down the photographers on my next cruise.

That is so awesome! I love "it's a 10" and don't know how I've lived without it all these years! ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Love reading this thread because I thought I had the worst hair in the world! My whole life, people always complimented me on my hair - whether it was long or short. Well Men-o-pause hit me with a vengeance - mainly in my hair! It is absolutely awful and even hairdressers can't do much but cut it 2 inches long all over my head. When the grey started coming in, it decided to be curly and frizzy - like someone said - "the halo effect". I do keep it dyed but that doesn't make the grey hair straight - just a different color halo. For the ladies who said they got wigs, let me tell you they have changed my life! Over the past couple of years, I have bought 7 wigs. I have long, short, medium length - red, blonde, dark, highlighted, etc. When I first decided I wanted one, DH was very apprehensive so I asked him to come to the wig store with me. He had visions of those kind of "plasticy" looking wigs from the 60's and 70's. What we found was awesome - they are so realistic these days - no one can tell you are wearing a wig. And the most I have ever paid is $150 (for a long wig) so quite a bargain - I would spend more than that going to the beauty shop. DH fell in love with me in them - now I rarely go out of the house without a wig on. And, I live in S. FL and they are not hot - the wigs now are made with a very loose, open weave cap so you don't get hot. So for anyone willing to give it a try - go to your local wig shop and just try some on - keep in mind that some are not perfect - I sometimes need to trim the bangs and things when I get home. And try on different colors, lengths and sizes - you need to find what fits and suits you and your personality. And keep in mind ladies - my DH can choose which wife he wants today - based upon which wig I wear! ;)

Your post gives me hope. :D I am strongly considering purchasing

a wig or two before my next cruise. I am a young "60 yr. old"

with fine hair, and a high forehead. On past cruises, I spent time

attempting to style my hair, but shortly afterwards it looked

awful! :o I don't like having pictures of me taken, due to this

issue. My DH is supportive of my buying a wig or two. In fact

he will be with me when we go to our local wig shop next week. :)

That is so awesome! I love "it's a 10" and don't know how I've lived without it all these years! ;)

I have enjoyed reading all the postings on this thread, and was convinced tonight to try some of the "It's a 10" products myself, though my hair is like many here-- naturally curly and frizzy. I am not looking for straight hair like the OP, but something just a little more manageable.

I found an interesting deal on a website called Stockngo. www.stockngo.com/

With being a first time purchaser and spending $25 I was able to get free shipping and 20% off this first purchase, so for a total of $20.45 I got:

-Miracle Leave-In Plus Keratin 4oz

-It's A 10 + Keratin Deep Conditioner 5oz

I'll be anxious to see how these work, since I live in humid North Central FL. I have not really been one to use "product" in my hair, but with our next cruise to the Med in Sept., it would be great to have some control over my frizz. ;)

Hi. I am thinking of getting my first wig due to shoulder issues. I would like any advise on human vs synthetic, care issues, etc. I am 73 and have thin lousy mousey brown ( dyed) hair. I want a medium brown wig styled like Paula Deen's because this style looks best on me.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Margee

OP, I'm curious to find out more about your keratin treatment. I'm doing a caribbean cruise, so can you go in the ocean after having one of these treatments? I have really thick, wavy/curly/frizz on my head. I can straighten it OK, but once it's wet, all bets are off and it's curly again.

I'd love to get this treatment, but if I can't go snorkeling without it turning curly & frizzy again I may just save my money and not do this.

OP, I'm curious to find out more about your keratin treatment. I'm doing a caribbean cruise, so can you go in the ocean after having one of these treatments? I have really thick, wavy/curly/frizz on my head. I can straighten it OK, but once it's wet, all bets are off and it's curly again.

I'd love to get this treatment, but if I can't go snorkeling without it turning curly & frizzy again I may just save my money and not do this.

I didn't do any swimming or anything, but when I come out of the shower it's still straight and letting it air dry didn't cause it to become frizzy. So i'm thinking it should be ok.

Salt water is the worst thing for keratin treated hair. My hairdresser told me swimming in chlorine is preferable. That's why all shampoos and conditioners must be sulfate (salt) free.

Having said that, when I cruise I will swim in the ocean and then use my sulfate free "Reflect H2O" Swim Shampoo immediately when I reboard the ship!

Linda

Hi, Come on over the pass to Aspen. Lots of salons here Just stay away form any of the ship shampoos..My problem is dry skin here. Any products you like ? Kathy in Aspen.

I live in Leadville and my hands crack so bad they bleed.

For my face, I use Estée Lauder night cream for daily use. For my hands I use satin hands by Mary Kay and for my body I use Olay Total Effects 7 in one.

Thanks for hints. Estee has passed but used to see her walking with her nurse on the streets.

I've never been to Aspen. Would you know of a really good hai salon out there? I've been going to Denver and can't find a good stylist.

Salt water is the worst thing for keratin treated hair. My hairdresser told me swimming in chlorine is preferable. That's why all shampoos and conditioners must be sulfate (salt) free.

Having said that, when I cruise I will swim in the ocean and then use my sulfate free "Reflect H2O" Swim Shampoo immediately when I reboard the ship!

Linda

I've been hearing the same thing. I really wanted to get this treatment before our Caribbean cruise and my stylist talked me out of it.

Can you tell me about the swim shampoo you are using? Any other experiences with Keratin and salt water?

Thanks!

Linda

Interesting - my hair stylist said the exact opposite - salt water would be fine, but chlorine would strip my hair of the treatment. I did notice on the cruise that my hair felt nasty after going to the hot tub - but only had bubble spray and didn't dunk my hair or anything. I had no issues after going in the ocean during our excursions.

I've been hearing the same thing. I really wanted to get this treatment before our Caribbean cruise and my stylist talked me out of it.

Can you tell me about the swim shampoo you are using? Any other experiences with Keratin and salt water?

Thanks!

The Reflect H2O Swim Shampoo is very good, and highly recommended (Do a google search) It is different from other swimming specialty shampoos because it works on both salt and chlorine. The pools on most cruise ships are salt water with added chlorine. Also, it is safe for hair color. I wouldn't use anything else now that I've found it.

I wouldn't go on a trip to the tropics without having my keratin treatment, because my hair really needs the taming. Like I said, I swim in the ocean but use the shampoo to get rid of the salt immediately.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...
That's what I had done, the Keratin Express. I couldn't do 3 days without washing my hair.

I go back next week to get it done again before my cruise.

Can someone tell me what the Keratin Express is and what brand it is so I can look it up in our area. I just did the Global Keratin Juvnix (sp) treatment and the "no putting it up, no washing" is driving me crazy

Can someone tell me what the Keratin Express is and what brand it is so I can look it up in our area. I just did the Global Keratin Juvnix (sp) treatment and the "no putting it up, no washing" is driving me crazy

Mine was Coppola. The difference between the full Brazilian and Express is the amount of time the solution is left on your hair.

I know this post maybe be over, but can someone tell me how much the john frieda air brush is? It looks like there are different ones, can anyone help?

Oh, this thread is never over as long as someone is looking for "fabulous hair" information.

This is what I found on Amazon regarding the air brush.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Frieda-JFHA5-Brush-inch/dp/B0056GDG90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377178583&sr=8-1&keywords=John+Freida+air+brush

Good luck! :)

Oh, this thread is never over as long as someone is looking for "fabulous hair" information.

This is what I found on Amazon regarding the air brush.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Frieda-JFHA5-Brush-inch/dp/B0056GDG90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377178583&sr=8-1&keywords=John+Freida+air+brush

Good luck! :)

Oh, thanks, is it hard to use, I was looking on youtube and looking at the tutorial, does your hair cut tangle up in the bristles. Also I noticed you got the Keratin Express, is that exactly what it's called, how long did it last and how much was it? How did your trip to Alaska go? I bet you loved it :)

I've never used the Air Brush but some of the women on this thread swear by it.

I got the Keratin Express which doesn't last as long as the full Brazilian treatment. But I used the "it's a 10" with Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner and it lasted me about 3 months. I can't say how long everyone else's lasts because everyone's hair is different. If I remember correctly, I paid about $120 and my hair was really long. My stylist doesn't charge more or less for the length of hair so I suppose I'm lucky.

Thanks for asking about the Alaska cruise. It was AWESOME!!! We will do another one soon I'm sure. :) I think I have some pictures posted a couple of pages back, but mostly to show how my hair held up throughout the cruise. :)

I've never used the Air Brush but some of the women on this thread swear by it.

I got the Keratin Express which doesn't last as long as the full Brazilian treatment. But I used the "it's a 10" with Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner and it lasted me about 3 months. I can't say how long everyone else's lasts because everyone's hair is different. If I remember correctly, I paid about $120 and my hair was really long. My stylist doesn't charge more or less for the length of hair so I suppose I'm lucky.

Thanks for asking about the Alaska cruise. It was AWESOME!!! We will do another one soon I'm sure. :) I think I have some pictures posted a couple of pages back, but mostly to show how my hair held up throughout the cruise. :)

Thanks for all the helpful information :)

Archived