Vain woman needs help with horrible cruise hair!!

Aurora2143

Okay ladies, I read all the way through and then ordered $50 worth of It's a 10 from Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. I am getting the Plus Keratin shampoo, deep conditioner, and leave-in. I sure hope it works for me!

Okay ladies, I read all the way through and then ordered $50 worth of It's a 10 from Amazon. It will be here Tuesday. I am getting the Plus Keratin shampoo, deep conditioner, and leave-in. I sure hope it works for me!

If you're going on a high humidity cruise like the Caribbean, I would highly recommend the keratin express. Not the full Brazilian. The express also didn't have any smell, I didn't think.

It's not something I will do all the time, but about a week before the cruise along with the above mentioned products. Good luck and come back with some pictures. ;)

If you're going on a high humidity cruise like the Caribbean, I would highly recommend the keratin express. Not the full Brazilian. The express also didn't have any smell, I didn't think.

It's not something I will do all the time, but about a week before the cruise along with the above mentioned products. Good luck and come back with some pictures. ;)

I'm going to the Caribbean and Panama Canal in December. I live in a very VERY dry climate, but we do have a summer monsoon season. I have time (6 months) to see how the products work and then decide if I want to take that next step. Actually, I'll probably be wearing this hat:

02254_154_1?hei=480&wid=320&op_sharpen=1&align=0.0,1.0

all or most days. It has a wide brim AND a ponytail hole in the back. It's also 50 SPF. So, days are taken care of, it's evenings I need to sleek things down!

I'm going to the Caribbean and Panama Canal in December. I live in a very VERY dry climate, but we do have a summer monsoon season. I have time (6 months) to see how the products work and then decide if I want to take that next step. Actually, I'll probably be wearing this hat:

02254_154_1?hei=480&wid=320&op_sharpen=1&align=0.0,1.0

all or most days. It has a wide brim AND a ponytail hole in the back. It's also 50 SPF. So, days are taken care of, it's evenings I need to sleek things down!

That's a cute hat!

That's a cute hat!

It is! And it's light as a feather and soft as can be! I'm counting on the ponytail hole to at least slow it down if it starts to blow off! Here is the back. I got it at Coolibar.com and it's reversible, so the two in the photos are the same hat.

02254_154_3?hei=480&wid=320&op_sharpen=1&align=0.0,1.0

• 3 weeks later...

I followed your posts and LOVE how your hair turned out, so I decided to get a keratin straightening for myself for our upcoming cruise to the Caribbean. I love it so far. Mine required not washing my hair for 72 hours which was tough, but not too bad. Washed it and did another round of blow drying and straightening and so far so good. It has been misty and super humid and my hair is bone straight still! I can't wait to test it on the cruise. This should last 3-4 months. It was not the brazilian or the japanese straightening, but I'm not exactly sure what brand they used other than it was a keratin straightening.

Before:

old_hair.jpg

After:

new_hair.jpg

72 hours - first hair wash

72hours.jpg

I followed your posts and LOVE how your hair turned out, so I decided to get a keratin straightening for myself for our upcoming cruise to the Caribbean. I love it so far. Mine required not washing my hair for 72 hours which was tough, but not too bad. Washed it and did another round of blow drying and straightening and so far so good. It has been misty and super humid and my hair is bone straight still! I can't wait to test it on the cruise. This should last 3-4 months. It was not the brazilian or the japanese straightening, but I'm not exactly sure what brand they used other than it was a keratin straightening.

Before:

old_hair.jpg

After:

new_hair.jpg

72 hours - first hair wash

72hours.jpg

AWESOME!! It looks great! Please come back after the cruise and let us know how it behaved. YAY!!!

It may have been Coppola brand. :)

I'm cursed with frizz head- the kind that needs lots of product. I saw that my DD was using L'Oreal new smooth intense xtreme straight crème with oleo-keratin. Wow! That stuff works great combined with my John Frieda Hot Air Brush. It is a lot less expensive than "it's a 10" which I haven't tried yet. I think the L'Oreal stuff is fantastic for those of us not brave enough for a full Brazilian Blow out or whatever that procedure is.

I bought It's a 10 in a travel size, and the only thing it did for my hair was make it faster to dry and a tad softer, but I still have tons of frizz.

Which "It's a 10" did you buy? I've been using the Plus Keratin line and my hair is better than it's been in years. Very unusual for me to pass a mirror and think my hair looks good. But, my hair looks good. LOL

Which "It's a 10" did you buy? I've been using the Plus Keratin line and my hair is better than it's been in years. Very unusual for me to pass a mirror and think my hair looks good. But, my hair looks good. LOL

I have found that the non-keratin items didn't work very well for my hair too.

I have pretty long hair so I went out and bought myself a hair donut and when I'm sunbathing I cover it in conditioner put it up in a bun (the donut) it simply looks very professional and wash out that evening!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have pretty long hair so I went out and bought myself a hair donut and when I'm sunbathing I cover it in conditioner put it up in a bun (the donut) it simply looks very professional and wash out that evening!

I give up, what's a hair donut?

The plus keratin one. Didn't do a thing for may hair so I'm glad I only bought the travel sized one.

Have you tried the Aussie shampoo it's fantastic and you can get a deep conditioner that works wonder or John freida de frizz it was fantastic for me when I had my hair permed. You rub it in after towel dry and the dry normally gorg !!!

I have boring hair - short, thin, flat. they have been advertising the "In Styler" on TV here a lot (in a very American accent) it costs well over $100 (Australian) Thanks to this discussion I discovered the John Freida styler via Amazon for $31 plus $10 delivery. I'll let you know how I find it when it arrives. Otherwise I might seriously look at the wig option!

My hair stylist recommended this air pick attachment for a hair dryer - he even ordered it for me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FHot-Tools-Professional-Dryer-Attachment%2Fdp%2FB0002H4BJ2&ei=7VTXUZjwNquajALeooHoAg&usg=AFQjCNFgyP3wSTqL80-yc70F0KFLhvo2jA&sig2=MyKKM6seoCyOakI48k5hRQ

It took some getting used to, but after a few tries it has become easy to use. It cuts my drying time down in about half it was before (my hair is really thick) and after most of the moisture is out I just pull the pick attachment off and dry/style with a quarter round brush as usual. The pick turns easily so you can angle it just how you want - it keeps tension on the hair as you pull it through if you do it right - so that makes it dry more sleek. There are 2 rows of teeth in the pick - the picture doesn't really show that well. I some hair product before & after of course - but a little silicone based product to keep the frizz out and my hair looks good.

I'm still going to recommend the Brazilian Blowout. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just to clear some things up..this is not a keratin treatment. It also does NOT straighten your hair. It is purely a defrizzing treatment. You do however, have the option to SLIGHTLY loosen your curls, if that is what you choose. Its a very quick process, and you can wash your hair immediately after. The treatment should last about 3 months. It also leaves your hair very shiny and silky, and will drastically reduce dry/styling time. Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

Aurora2143 - I've been wondering how your hair held up in Alaska; glad it worked out for you! It looks great!

I'm still loving the It's a 10 + Keratin shampoo and conditioner (I don't use the after spray). Especially since I got my hair cut a bit. The hairdresser flat irons my hair so it's straight enough to cut evenly, then I'm stuck with this stick-straight hair until I wash it, lol. I actually prefer to have some body in my hair.

Just wanted to say thanks again for getting the message out there. Wish I'd known about all of this when I got married in Jamaica in 2007, barefoot on the beach at sunset - with such frizzy hair that I had to have 4 little braids done just before the wedding. :eek:

Aurora2143 - I've been wondering how your hair held up in Alaska; glad it worked out for you! It looks great!

I'm still loving the It's a 10 + Keratin shampoo and conditioner (I don't use the after spray). Especially since I got my hair cut a bit. The hairdresser flat irons my hair so it's straight enough to cut evenly, then I'm stuck with this stick-straight hair until I wash it, lol. I actually prefer to have some body in my hair.

Just wanted to say thanks again for getting the message out there. Wish I'd known about all of this when I got married in Jamaica in 2007, barefoot on the beach at sunset - with such frizzy hair that I had to have 4 little braids done just before the wedding. :eek:

I'm so thankful for this thread and all the help I got from other ladies as well.

I blow dry my hair upside down to get a little body into it. :)

Archived