Passports in Port?

I agree it's not heavy, but "inconvenient"? Maybe. My DL will fit in my wallet and in my pocket. My Passport is obviously larger. It may or may not fit in my pocket (without sticking out).

We're going on our first cruise in 74 days (woo hoo!) and I still haven't decided what we're going to do. I do have a waterproof neck pouch that I'll put our seapasses and ID's in. I just don't know if the passport will fit.

I agree with the summation of the pros and cons listed earlier.

I always travel with a pair of cargo shorts or pants for off the ship times. They have a zippered pocket in the front that I keep the passport in. Out of all the inconvenient things I carry around, the passport is not one of them. Camera, bottled water, cigarettes, snacks........I can go on and on. LOL

I do exactly the same. I leave the copy on the ship ! :D

Us too. Additionally, we also take our birth certificates on a cruise and leave those in the safe while taking the passports with us to the ports. I figure, if we lose the passports, at least the BC will help with customs if needed on debarkation. The copies of the passports will only help get them replaced or if needed for further proof if the passports are found. The BCs are no trouble since we have copies in the house for many reasons and they are always in our safe.

If we are going somewhere like the beach I have a small waterproof bag big enough for the passports and a cell phone and a credit card to keep them in.

I agree it's not heavy, but "inconvenient"? Maybe. My DL will fit in my wallet and in my pocket. My Passport is obviously larger. It may or may not fit in my pocket (without sticking out).

We're going on our first cruise in 74 days (woo hoo!) and I still haven't decided what we're going to do. I do have a waterproof neck pouch that I'll put our seapasses and ID's in. I just don't know if the passport will fit.

I agree with the summation of the pros and cons listed earlier.

A 74 day trip sounds like quite an adventure! I think one of the issues with passports is people treat them too gently. Passports are tough! They're almost completely waterproof. They can be stuffed in pockets, sat on, bent, and they hold up well. If I was going on a 74 day trip, I would anticipate my passport would be a little worse for wear when I returned home.

Yes, they're bigger than a DL, but they're still small enough to deal with. Just don't be too gentle!

I cruise regularly, but I also travel by other means. I have long had a personal rule: I will never set foot in another country without my passport with me. If I'm staying at a resort in Mexico, and I go out to dinner, my passport is with me. If I'm stopping on a Caribbean island for a port call on a cruise ship, I carry my passport with me.

A U.S. passport is an incredibly valuable thing. And yes, losing it can be a pain in the neck. But personally, I feel not taking it because one is afraid to lose it is akin to buying really nice furniture and then covering it in plastic to protect it.

Nothing reassures me like knowing I have my passport on me. I am NOT reassured by the "possibility" that someone from the ship will retrieve it and leave it with the port agent should I fail to return in time.

Others here will disagree with me, but that is my opinion on the matter.

I totally agree!! I wonder just how many crusiers have had their passports stolen from them lately? I bet not many. Losing one's passport is another thing.

Never been asked for any ID other than ship's card in any Caribbean port. On my eastern Med trip last fall, I thought I would be asked for it but never was. Ship's card was always fine. I would ask Guest Services the day before port what ID you will need if you go ashore.

I am not as free and easy as some here suggest being with the passport. It's a very valuable document - more valuable than money to some, and I am concerned about identity theft. Once somebody has stolen part of your identity, it's very hard to get it back in perfect condition. In Canada, it's an issue because of the free health care. Thieves aren't only interested in the money. A Health Card or an official document that can get you one is like money. Maybe even better.

I sewed secret pockets inside all my pants and shorts before I went to the Med., and now I use them on Caribbean cruises. (You can find instructions for this by Googling secret travel pocket or something like that.) Very easy to do, and very safe. If I take my passport ashore, I put it in the secret pocket. There are usually options if some money is stolen, but losing a passport is serious business.

I'd rather have my money stolen than my passport.

A 74 day trip sounds like quite an adventure! I think one of the issues with passports is people treat them too gently. Passports are tough! They're almost completely waterproof. They can be stuffed in pockets, sat on, bent, and they hold up well. If I was going on a 74 day trip, I would anticipate my passport would be a little worse for wear when I returned home.

Yes, they're bigger than a DL, but they're still small enough to deal with. Just don't be too gentle!

No, our cruise is IN 74 (now 73) days, not FOR 74 days. :D

I always travel with a pair of cargo shorts or pants for off the ship times. They have a zippered pocket in the front that I keep the passport in. Out of all the inconvenient things I carry around, the passport is not one of them. Camera, bottled water, cigarettes, snacks........I can go on and on. LOL

I'm planning (but plans can change) on wearing a swimsuit off the ship. Labadee & Cozumel (Chakanaab).

I can tell you that when we received our renewed passports earlier this year along with the traditional passport was a passport card, more or less looks like a license. When we vcationed in St Martin last month we just like on a cruise left our passbook in the safe and carried our passport card with us, it has all the same information on it from the passport. Also all of our suitcases have in the side pocket a photo copy of our passports just in case of an emergency, etc.

Good Luck, have a wonderful vacation(s) Ron M

Archived