Debating taking Vienna pre-extension - worth it or not?

Sparky333

Hi --we're already booked on Viking's Passage to Eastern Europe this fall going from Budapest to Bucharest and have added the post-extension to Transylvania.

I've just been wondering if we should also add the pre-extension to Vienna. Since we've already paid the full trip cost and have gone with the Viking air we're locked in to that so I'm not talking about flying in early ourselves. This would be Viking's 3 night add-on which basically gives you the day you arrive to explore on your own, the second day you get a morning tour of the Hofburg's Imperial Apts. with the afternoon free, the third day is completely on your own, and the next day is a transfer to Budapest in the morning.

We've not been to Vienna yet so it seems like it might make sense to take advantage of the opportunity. Not sure when we'll get back there - probably someday but most of our travel is not in Europe. However at $699 pp I'm not sure if it's worth it for the short amount of time we'd have.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi --we're already booked on Viking's Passage to Eastern Europe this fall going from Budapest to Bucharest and have added the post-extension to Transylvania.

I've just been wondering if we should also add the pre-extension to Vienna. Since we've already paid the full trip cost and have gone with the Viking air we're locked in to that so I'm not talking about flying in early ourselves. This would be Viking's 3 night add-on which basically gives you the day you arrive to explore on your own, the second day you get a morning tour of the Hofburg's Imperial Apts. with the afternoon free, the third day is completely on your own, and the next day is a transfer to Budapest in the morning.

We've not been to Vienna yet so it seems like it might make sense to take advantage of the opportunity. Not sure when we'll get back there - probably someday but most of our travel is not in Europe. However at $699 pp I'm not sure if it's worth it for the short amount of time we'd have.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Vienna is an absolutely beautiful city and easy to do on your own if you have that option. We had done the Hop On bus twice and have been able to see all of the highlights. You can book tours on your own for all of the sights. But if you are locked into Viking's schedule, you might not have the option of arriving early. But Vienna should not be missed!

B. Cole

Thanks for the reply, cole. I do think we could squeeze a lot in on our own but do you think one full day and two half days is enough time to make that $1398 (total for 2 pax for the extension) worthwhile?

I totally agree with Cole that Vienna is not to be missed. Truly.

We did an AMA cruise from Budapest to Prague last year and stayed for three nights in Vienna on a 'land extension' we put together ourselves ahead of the cruise. Having not heard much about Vienna ahead of the trip, we were AMAZED.

It's a great city, and every additional hour you can spend there is worth it. They have a fine cathedral, several art museums conveniently grouped together in the museum 'quarter', lots of great architecture, a lovely summer palace you can take a brief subway ride to reach, etc etc. We were really shocked not to have heard more about it as a 'don't miss' destination. Use your extra time and cram it full of interesting tours, museum visits, etc. Take a walking tour of central Vienna if you can fit it in.

We planned all of our activities by using Tripadvisor and doing our own research ahead of time on Vienna's top sights. We also bought tickets online to visit the Schoenbrunn Palace, and got museum passes at the first museum we visited. The museum pass didn't save us too much $$ but we saw more than we otherwise would have since we felt free to pop in and out of several museums rather than committing more time to just one.

If you think you won't have a chance to come back and spend more time in Vienna soon, IMHO you should definitely go for it.

Also, even if you are 'locked in' with Viking's air, do they offer an option for you to pay a 'deviation fee' to get a flight on an earlier date than you would fly for the land extension? Some ocean lines offer this; not sure about a river line such as Viking (we've always done our own air on river cruises). If the fee wasn't too high, perhaps for the same $$ you will pay Viking for the land extension you could come in a few extra days ahead and pay for a hotel for more nights for the same net cost. Just wondering.

We did find hotels expensive in Vienna. We stayed in a nice, very central 3* hotel and it was almost 200E per night including tax. Enjoy your trip...and Vienna!

short answer: a resounding "Yes." Vienna is one of the most beautiful of all European cities . Don't miss it.

Mass transit is easy to do and as has been stated, you can do so much on your own.

Go!

I think I have my answer :D

Andromeda93 -- the possibility of changing our flight with Viking is something to think about. Thanks for that idea and also the other info on Vienna. It does sound like an amazing city. I hate to give it short shrift if we can't stay longer but if we're not able to return for several years it sounds like getting a taste now is better than nothing.

Thanks again!

I think I have my answer :D

Andromeda93 -- the possibility of changing our flight with Viking is something to think about. Thanks for that idea and also the other info on Vienna. It does sound like an amazing city. I hate to give it short shrift if we can't stay longer but if we're not able to return for several years it sounds like getting a taste now is better than nothing.

Sparky, you said it!

Our river trip returned to Vienna as one of the ports on the sailing from Budapest to Regensburg. We went on the ship's walking tour of central Vienna (which was great) the day we docked there - but we all remarked to each other how very glad we were already to have had three days in Vienna before the ship's visit.

If you decide to go there on your own, do yourself a favor and choose a hotel as close to the center as possible. The transit is very good and easy to use, but we found the city so lovely above-ground that we ended up walking almost everywhere. The cathedral is lit in the evening, there are musical events almost every night and lots of people out late in the pedestrian zone. You will definitely not run out of things to do!

Sparky, you said it!

Our river trip returned to Vienna as one of the ports on the sailing from Budapest to Regensburg. We went on the ship's walking tour of central Vienna (which was great) the day we docked there - but we all remarked to each other how very glad we were already to have had three days in Vienna before the ship's visit.

If you decide to go there on your own, do yourself a favor and choose a hotel as close to the center as possible. The transit is very good and easy to use, but we found the city so lovely above-ground that we ended up walking almost everywhere. The cathedral is lit in the evening, there are musical events almost every night and lots of people out late in the pedestrian zone. You will definitely not run out of things to do!

So glad to read this information about Vienna. We are going on the AMA Danube river cruise, and will be flying into Vienna prior to our cruise. We will stay for 3 days in Vienna and then take the train to Budapest where we will embark on the river cruise.

We will have a port day in Vienna during the cruise, too.

Did you visit Salzburg, as well?

Did you visit Salzburg, as well?

Yes, we started in Munich and trained to Salzburg; stayed there for two nights and then trained again to Vienna for three nights before the final train link to Budapest. We enjoyed Salzburg although the weather was very cold and rainy while we were there (early April). No twirling on mountaintops in the sunshine on this trip, but we figure it gives us an excuse to come back.

The town of Salzburg has an old quarter which is charming albeit quite touristy. There are several lovely churches and the hilltop fortress looming above the town is a must-see; it's quite old and offers great views of the Salzburg town and valleys beyond. There is a funicular to the top if you do not want a long walk uphill.

All of that said, if you were allocating time between Vienna vs Salzburg, I would allocate more time to Vienna as it's much, much larger with a lot more to see. It was actually nice to have the contrast in one trip; the quaint river valley village and the cosmopolitan, vibrant city.

Archived