Norweigen cruise line- lawsuit filed

On the channel 7 news headlines this morning 6/14 it was titled "A class action lawsuit has been filed against norweigen cruise lines by passengers who felt their lives were deliberatly put in danger on an april sailing back to new york....

Wouldn't that mean then that the Captain and crew would also be in danger? Who would deliberatly do that?

All I can say is that I wasn't on this ship and have no idea what the passengers experienced but I know good/bad I wouldn't run to file a lawsuit over a freak act of nature. I'm assuming their talking about the rogue wave..

As I understood it, that sailing sailed directly into a storm instead of going around it in order to make a deadline for an appearence on the apprentice TV show in the background of a shot.

If I knew that a cruise line sailed me through a storm, one in which the ship got wacked by a 70 foot monster wave, rather than going around the storm, just because they wanted their ship in a shot for a TV show, I'd be pissed off too.

Being cleared of wrong doing criminally does not clear one of a liablity claim IMO. They should have gone around that storm if that was an option. That's what I would expect of any cruise line while I'm onboard their ship. I don't wish to become a bathtub toy in the middle of the Atlantic ocean just so the cruiseline can make a photo op.

Being cleared of wrong doing criminally does not clear one of a liablity claim IMO.

OJ Simpson certainly learned this having been cleared in the criminal case, I am sorry found NOT GUILTY which does not mean innocdent and having been found liable in the civil case.

As I understood it, that sailing sailed directly into a storm instead of going around it in order to make a deadline for an appearence on the apprentice TV show in the background of a shot.

If I knew that a cruise line sailed me through a storm, one in which the ship got wacked by a 70 foot monster wave, rather than going around the storm, just because they wanted their ship in a shot for a TV show, I'd be pissed off too.

Being cleared of wrong doing criminally does not clear one of a liablity claim IMO. They should have gone around that storm if that was an option. That's what I would expect of any cruise line while I'm onboard their ship. I don't wish to become a bathtub toy in the middle of the Atlantic ocean just so the cruiseline can make a photo op.

It's my understanding that the storm area was too large to go around. A wave of this size is unpredictable and can happen to any cruise line or ship. All this suit is going to do is line the pockets of a few ambulance chasers and no one else.

Also if the cruise line had diverted to another port and was late arriving back in New York then you would have passengers yelling about that. The people involved in law suits such as this are the scum of the earth and are always looking for a handout in life.

I agree with the "Loser Pays" - that would prevent a lot of frivolous law suits.

There was a lot of discussion as to the supposed "appearance" in New York - I don't think it had anything to do with it. What crew or company in their right minds would put passengers in jeopardy? It doesn't make sense.

The only winners here are the lawyers.

Sailing around the storm is not quite as easy as you might think, since storms can extend out hundreds of miles from their center and are also moving, sometimes erratically (just see how often hurricanes fail to follow the storm tracks that professional forecasters predict). I really doubt that any responsible ship's captain would put himself, his crew, and his passengers at risk, if there was a viable alternative. However, it is very easy to Monday morning quarterback about what "should" have been done if you are ignorant of all the pertinent facts or wish to put the worst possible slant on those facts or are prone to believing conspiracy theories.

The ship was hit by a "rogue" wave which is by its very definition unpredictable. To the best of my knowledge, no one was seriously injured, the damage was repairable and the ship returned to New York after a minimal and unavoidable delay (by your reckoning one would have expected them to delay repairs by continuing on to NY without stopping in Norfolk(?). Instead of being grateful that the seamanship of the captain and crew enabled them to avoid serious consequences, it seems a minority of passengers (and their attorneys) have chosen to turn an unfortunate incident into monetary gain. Let's hope that if this matter ever comes to trial, the judge or jury exercises common sense in making its judgment.

I am just waiting for the law suits from the posters that got Norovirus on the Voyager. I am sure someone is going to consult their lawyer and see how many free cruises they can get on the cruise line they swore they would never patronize again.

Let's see - can I sue RCCL for pain and suffering for thinking I might get norovirus or get hit by a 70' wave -- better call that law firm of Dewey Cheatem and Howe

:rolleyes: Hello All...........Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on this subject. I am happy to be one of the "WAVE RIDERS". YES I was on that sailing when the ship was hit by a 72 ft. rouge wave at 6:30 in the morning. An NO I am not one that is part of this so called law suit. The storm that we were in was a storm of great magnitude. It was a storm that was headed west as we were sailing north towards home. There was no way that we were going to be able to out run or divert from this storm. It was a wide front. Yes it was frightening but I myself have to say that the Captain did a wonderful job. It was not his fault that this WAVE was there it just happened. For 30 hours we were in 24 - 42 ft seas.We did a lot of rocking and rolling. But in the end NCL did offer us a 50% refund and a 50% cruise credit off of our next cruise. Were we hurrying home to visit with Mr. Donald Trump as some think? Your guess is as good as mine. We will never know will we. All I can say is that I will be traveling on this same ship the Norwegian Dawn in March of 2006.Hopefully it will be a much quieter journey. As they say "LIGHTENING NEVER STRIKES TWICE IN THE SAME PLACE". Hope this is true. In the end NCL did not have to extend to us what they did, as weather is something that no one can predict. An we all know that the SEA can become your enemy in a matter of seconds, it really has no mercy. So this lawsuit really has no bases other then to put money into already wealthy pockets of the lawyers. The people who want something from NCL will in the end receive far less then they think.

Archived