First time Cruiser with MSC Preziosa

hummer88

We will be doing our first ever cruise leaving July 1 out of Naples on the brand new Preziosa. Looking around this site I realize there are some differences between cruising in North America vs Europe. We have some questions that hopefully the experienced cruisers can help.

For dinners (we have the early seating) we have the option of eating in a buffet at anytime or going to our seating in the dining room for a sit down a la carte meal? Is there only one dining room? All other restaurants have an entrance fee correct?

Are all breakfasts and lunches buffet only or are there sit down meals in the dining room for those as well?

Is there regular water available to drink during dinners. IT appears that only sparkling water is available for purchase, do they have regular water too and if so is it included or free. We booked through Cruise Vacation Outlet in the US as I've read the North American companies provide you with free water coupons.

If we were to drink two or three drinks nightly is it best to buy a couple wine packages and beer packages prior to leaving or just order some drinks on the ship.

Sorry if these seem very basic questions, I appreciate any input. The information does seem to be all over the place and as the PReziosa is new there is not much about it. I don't want to just assume things will be the same on every ship.

We are sailing Oreziosa tomorrow -so excited! - and ai will post a review when I get back.

From what I understand, bottled water, both still and sparkling, are available for purchase and North American pax are given vouchers for one bottle per day. I drink a LOT of water, plus a lot of coffees, and a cocktail now and then, and did not want to think "ka-Ching!" Every time I ordered a drink, so we opted for the Allegrissimo all-inclusive non-premium beverage package. At $31/day, it is a good deal for us, but if you like good wines, it may not cover what you want though.

Also I have herd the MDR is open for breakfast and lunch, and that it takes longer but is less of a zoo. Have also herd that the Italian dishes are what they do best, and if you get American type foods from the buffet, you will be disappointedly

• 4 weeks later...

Hummer,

We came back from sailing on the maiden voyage of the Preziosa on 24 March in Genoa followed by a week in the Athens/Santorini. This was our first cruise with MSC. As you have probably found there are alot of mixed reviews, but hopefully like you, we were open to a new "Italian" experience. In our case it was primarily the itinerary, departure date and it being a new ship that sold us on this particular cruise. The price was also very attractive (with one 9 yr old child) since MSC offers "discounted" rates for children (they say free).

To answer your questions:

1) Yes you always have the option of eating in the MDR or buffet for dinner. There is only one MDR called the Golden lobster. We had booked the early time (7pm) as well but changed it on the first night since you would end up missing most of the shows which run at 745. Well, unless you eat fast ; ) There are only really four other places to eat (Arabesque, Locanda, Eataly restaurant and Diner). We did not try them since, overall the food was (although not bad) not that impressive on the ship. Very disappointing selection and variety for such a large ship.

2) Not sure about breakfast, but for sure lunch was served in the MDR.

3) No regular water was available in the MDR, although we did not insist. Both regular and sparkling water was available (3-4 euros maybe). Can't remember since we recieved 7 water vouchers as North American customers. They have water dispensers in the Buffet area.

4) The drinks were actually fairly reasonable for european standards. Definitely cheaper than off the ship. My wife and I do not drink very much and opted out off the package since everyone in the party has to get the same package. The wines vary in price but drinks were about 5-9 euros on the average. For pop/juice we just opted to buy 12 drink tickets (34 euros?). I was a bit disappointed in the availability of coffee. Yes coffee (capuccino, lattes, expressos, etc) were available at a cost (2-3 euros) but decent free coffee was hard to find at off hour times and they don't supply paper cups/lids. Small issue which did not bother me too much but I found it odd. Get used to one gulp coffees as well. Not like we have them hear at home : )

Overall we enjoyed our vacation. Like us, You needed to lower your expectations with MSC and overlook the differences, then you will enjoy your cruise. It was cheaper than the other lines so you have to expect it.

As for us, I do not think I will be sailing with MSC again. We would gladly pay the extra price. Their post cruise customer service is horrendous. We have been trying to reach someone (live person) for the last 3 weeks with regards to an item we left behind in the room safe. Over a dozen attempts by email, phone and via travel agent with no replies.

Sorry these comments are not meant to sour your plans. By setting your expectations you will enjoy your cruise better.

Happy cruising!

Gaby2000, sorry to hear about your effort to get in touch with MSC personnel. I personally didn't have fun dealing with their US on-line reps too. Their reps in China office are better though.

Initial MSC Preziosa reviews are also coming in...

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/msc-cruises/msc-preziosa/read_review_80500/

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/msc-cruises/msc-preziosa/read_review_80537/

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217851

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=218325

Archived