Recent Experiences - Bannister Island?

LEtue

Would love to hear what people have experienced recently on Bannister Island. Most reports from late 2012 were good and the beach looked wonderful. Then reports started coming back in February and early March saying that is wasn't the same - especially the beach area.

If you have been recently can you post your experience and pictures if you have them?

Thanks in advance!

We went there for the first time mid Feb of this year. For us it was the perfect excursion. Our group was the first there so we had our pick of loungers. (There were plenty even when later groups arrived). The beach was clean and the staff were friendly, helpful and not pushy. We simply wanted a beach where we could swim and relax. Most likely we would go there again. Sorry but I don't have any pictures to share.

After the Island we went back to the ship to eat and then took a tender into Belize to do some shopping. My wife loved the MOHO Chocolate Factory and Café. Hope this helps. :cool:

We went there for the first time mid Feb of this year. For us it was the perfect excursion. Our group was the first there so we had our pick of loungers. (There were plenty even when later groups arrived). The beach was clean and the staff were friendly, helpful and not pushy. We simply wanted a beach where we could swim and relax. Most likely we would go there again. Sorry but I don't have any pictures to share.

After the Island we went back to the ship to eat and then took a tender into Belize to do some shopping. My wife loved the MOHO Chocolate Factory and Café. Hope this helps. :cool:

Thank you so much! I have been reading some bad reviews lately :(

Not trying to hijack or anything, but I have a related question about this Island. We just did the beach break, not snorkling because DD and I do not snorkel. But DH does. Does anyone know if there is someone there that would take a group out snorkling as an add on? If not, is there anything to see there at the beach? I have since heard Belize is good for snorkeling, but I did not want to sign up for a snorekling excursion and have DD and I just sit there.

How long were you in port. I would like to check out the port area near Belize, but was not sure if we would have time.

Not trying to hijack or anything, but I have a related question about this Island. We just did the beach break, not snorkling because DD and I do not snorkel. But DH does. Does anyone know if there is someone there that would take a group out snorkling as an add on? If not, is there anything to see there at the beach? I have since heard Belize is good for snorkeling, but I did not want to sign up for a snorekling excursion and have DD and I just sit there.

I don't think there is much to see if you snorkel at Bannister Island. There is a roped off swim area and I did not notice anything while swimming (w/o snorkel gear). On our cruise we waited until Roatan to snorkel.

How long were you in port. I would like to check out the port area near Belize, but was not sure if we would have time.

I think we were in port for 8 hours, plenty of time to go to Bannister Island and then take the tender to Belize. The daily schedule left in your room every night will list how late the tenders will run back from Belize. We did both and had time to spare.

As far as snorkeling at Bannister, there's not much to see (like coral or a reef). But you will find fish here and there (and some are pretty big). HOWEVER...if you want to see starfish...THIS IS YOUR PLACE. They are EVERYWHERE!!!

Here is my COMPLETE...and I do mean complete...it is pages and pages long with TONS of pictures, from our day at Bannister just 3 months ago. It's everything you need to know and more. :D

It starts at post 251 and ends at #266 :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=7

We were at Bannister in April 2012, and then again last week. I did think it was changed a bit- beach wasn't as nice with more shells and sharp things in the water- looks like they've had some damage from storms possibly. I'm not sensitive to rocky beaches at all (swim in Lake Erie a lot) and found it very difficult and actually got bruises on the bottom of one of my feet! Bring water shoes.

When we first got there beach chairs were tough to come by, but groups were always coming/going and the chairs really freed up after an hour or so. We were on the NCL excursion and got there around 10:30.

Service was great though- we had both drinks and food, and no issues there. They do take credit cards. There isn't much to see snorkeling, but we found the big starfish too (my daughter remembered that from last year and was on a mission! But they weren't hard to find!) and the water was clear and nice- just no real reef, or soft sand.

Was it worth the $50 pp to get there? Probably not, but there aren't other beach options in Belize, so if that's your thing, this is it!

We were at Bannister in April 2012, and then again last week. I did think it was changed a bit- beach wasn't as nice with more shells and sharp things in the water- looks like they've had some damage from storms possibly. I'm not sensitive to rocky beaches at all (swim in Lake Erie a lot) and found it very difficult and actually got bruises on the bottom of one of my feet! Bring water shoes.

When we first got there beach chairs were tough to come by, but groups were always coming/going and the chairs really freed up after an hour or so. We were on the NCL excursion and got there around 10:30.

Service was great though- we had both drinks and food, and no issues there. They do take credit cards. There isn't much to see snorkeling, but we found the big starfish too (my daughter remembered that from last year and was on a mission! But they weren't hard to find!) and the water was clear and nice- just no real reef, or soft sand.

Was it worth the $50 pp to get there? Probably not, but there aren't other beach options in Belize, so if that's your thing, this is it!

Just wondering...did the have the water working in the restrooms yet? When we were there in December there wasn't a way to even wash your hands in the restroom. :(

Just wondering...did the have the water working in the restrooms yet? When we were there in December there wasn't a way to even wash your hands in the restroom. :(

Yes, the water was working in the restrooms... and there was plenty of food and drink (I also saw reports of their running out of food, drinks, etc). And the service was good. The main difference I noticed from last year was the condition of the beach- some of the in-water palapa things had fallen over, and it appeared that some of the debri from that (or other things?) was in the water, along with some sharp things that didn't appear naturally occuring (maybe metal-like stuff). There were still areas that were sandy and clear, but it wasn't as nice as it was in spring 2012.

Yes, the water was working in the restrooms... and there was plenty of food and drink (I also saw reports of their running out of food, drinks, etc). And the service was good. The main difference I noticed from last year was the condition of the beach- some of the in-water palapa things had fallen over, and it appeared that some of the debri from that (or other things?) was in the water, along with some sharp things that didn't appear naturally occuring (maybe metal-like stuff). There were still areas that were sandy and clear, but it wasn't as nice as it was in spring 2012.

Glad to hear that they got the water fixed in the restrooms. There were a lot of upset people about that when we were there and a few reports after we were there saying the same thing. We had plenty of food and great service too. I did notice that the top of the palpaya was missing from the one that sits in the water and that was in December. :(

Thanks everyone. We ended up booking a combo excursion with snorkeling at the reef before a short visit to Bannister. I don't sail the western Caribbean often so didn't want to miss the snorkeling :)

Thanks everyone. We ended up booking a combo excursion with snorkeling at the reef before a short visit to Bannister. I don't sail the western Caribbean often so didn't want to miss the snorkeling :)

Would love to hear how your experience was at Bannister, so please give us a review when you get back. We will also be sailing on the Dawn in December so would love to hear all about that too. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Archived