Date to Start Insurance

lhsail

We just booked a theme cruise, Smooth Jazz Cruise, for the first time. All payments are non-refundable, I'm sure due to the expense of the performers. It's not until January 2014 and I do not yet know what day we'll actually depart for the cruise. We always fly down at least a day before and we're considering flying back a day later. I want to go ahead and get trip insurance purchased due to the non-refundable nature of this cruise. I don't really care too much about insuring the airfare, but my question is about the start and end date for the travel insurance. If I enter the date the cruise starts and ends, but we actually book our flights a couple days in advance and something goes wrong, will I have a problem with the insurance since I used the day the of the ship's departure? Hope that makes sense.

Most insurance companies will allow you to vary the dates by one or two days, even after you've purchased it. The cost may change, but your benefits won't. They also let you increase the amount of insurance (say, when you buy your plane tickets) without changing benefits.

There's little downside to buying it now. Just make sure that the particular company will allow these kinds of changes.

Why don't you tell them you have not booked your flights yet but plan to leave 1 day before and return 1 day after the cruise. That way you are covered for your airfare and hotel stay. I doubt adding on a couple of days would change the cost of the policy that much.

Archived