!!! SILHOUETTE !!! Western Caribbean- The Ultimate Review & Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

DSC03987_zpsa0275424.jpg

We ordered a flirtini and a skinny martini.

DSC03989_zps28ee8dda.jpg

Skiny one was mint and chocolate, I hate that combination, but mom loves it.

DSC03990_zps745a55bb.jpg

Flirtini was ok, a little sour for my taste. Strong and sweet as hell!!!

DSC03991_zps4040a054.jpg

We grabbed our drinks and headed to the Lawn Grill for dinner, we had reservations there and we were eager to try it out.

Much discussion comes when talking about the Lawn Grill, most people seem to like the food and the environment, but overall feel that it is overpriced. Granted ours came with package so my cost was a little lower than the original cost. My honest opinion is rather dull, aside from the service I would not call anything in this venue amazing. The location of the venue is great, but on windy days like hours it can get a little chilly. The venue is very energetic and the metro d, comes over the speakerphone and gets everyone pumped and excited very often.

The venue is nice and open aired, however I found the table to be too close to each other to really enjoy our dinner. There is a salad bar and that is also the same bar that you go to put the toppings on your flat bread.

The menu is rather limited as this is a grill, honestly nothing really called my name that day. Please note that you can order pretty much as much as you want to order.

DSC03992_zpsc9d89ad7.jpg

Our server Anne from Romania pretty much made our night, what an outstanding server and not to mention intelligent. Her attitude was great, but at the same time professional, I asked her if she could make sure that we got out of there in an hour. I explained my situation at the Tuscan and she said that it would happen here. By the way her spanish sounded almost perfect, incredible, she's been practicing for the past two years.

DSC03994_zps179295d8.jpg

DSC03995_zps6a995c97.jpg

DSC03996_zpsd584c00b.jpg

DSC03997_zps30af4b53.jpg

DSC03998_zps39d9702f.jpg

We ordered the margarita flatbread, it was good but huge. A lot of it went to waste :(.

DSC04024_zps80282b63.jpg

here is the fillet, seafood skewer and one lamb chop

DSC04027_zps59e8ccf8.jpg

Ribeye, veggies skewer and lamb chop

DSC04028_zps61612d3c.jpg

Lobster mac and cheese, AMAZING!!!!, but light on the lobster.

DSC04029_zps5e36df41.jpg

DSC04030_zps2df38b0c.jpg

The food was ok I guess, nothing really stands out, or at least did to me and certainly not for that price. The ambience was however really cool during the entire time we were there.

Now let me tell you a little story, at one point mom had to go to the bathroom and she did, the one by the lawn towards the aft. I just waited for her, after some time had passed I started thinking what is taking her so long. Soon enough our waitress stopped by and questioned the whereabouts of my mom, I told her and she suggested I go and check. When I got there I found out that the electric door in the ladies bathroom had locked itself and would not open. My mom was stuck in there :eek:, I tried opening the door but no go. As I was leaving to look for help another lady came in the room and she stayed with my mom. She needed to use the bathroom really badly.

My immediate course of action was to go to the sunset bar, but there was no one there, so then I went to talk to Anne. She took faster than I could finish telling her, what a gal, she was really something. When we got there between my mom and the lady they had managed to open the door open. Then the other lady went in, Anne stayed around the area to ensure she would not be stuck in there.

Apparently that door tends to malfunction, not a good thing. Mom was not worried, I tend to get very nervous when things like this happen. This is very first time EVER that I have left my camera and all the gear unattended, not a good thing. Fortunately all was well and nothing unfortunate happened.

Then we settled down for dessert, she insisted we tried the warm cookie.

It is soooooo good, you can not imagine how tasty it is. GET IT!!!!! I wonder if I could buy one even I am not dinning there.

DSC04034_zps2124c64b.jpg

Let is be said that Anne squeezed out of me much more than I usually leave for two of us :).

Here is a short video of the Lawn Grill

We then left and walk around for a little while.

DSC04039_zps599c9e87.jpg

DSC04046_zpse377a3e0.jpg

Edited by gambee

DSC04055_zps5974ea5b.jpg

We decided to go to Karaoke that night and see if maybe it had gotten a little better.

The crowd that nigth was actually a little worse than the previous time.

DSC04087_zps1f3f2c66.jpg

DSC04091_zpsfb9074ad.jpg

and I got the blueberry drink again. please note this are weak drinks.

DSC04102_zps96f1f345.jpg

Mom ordered pair of roses.

DSC04103_zpsca607c65.jpg

DSC04104_zps24c8dc3a.jpg

DSC04108_zpsbccb58c5.jpg

After Karaoke we decided to head to the room and call it a night, it had been a very long day and we were beat. We had a great time in Grand Cayman, I got to hold a turtle how cool is that?!?!?! But the funny thing is that the Best port of this trip had yet to come, how much better could it get? Well my friends, it can get much better :)

I took this picture just before heading to bed

DSC04109_zps31b89d7b.jpg

We had hope for better weather for Jamaica. Gambee had big plans for Jamaica!

Day 4, Finished!

I am exhausted... :D

Edited by gambee

WOW Gambee, I am enjoying this review SO much! I will be on the Silhouette with my family in July - first time with Celebrity. I can't wait - and your brilliant review makes me even more excited. Fabulous.

I would love to do Europe on an S class ship, I was actually talking to my mom about that.

Thank you for following.

Hi Gambee.....just wondering which camera you used in Grand Cayman?

Other than the pictures from the tender ride from the cruise to Grand Cayman, all the pictures were taken with the NEX camera. If you're wondering how the the TX performs, you are in luck. Jamaica was all taken with that camera =).

:D That is the cutest Audi!!! I want one!

right? I saw it and feel in love, very nice car!

Wow, what a beautiful shell!! I'm so sad to know they're raised to become food :( I love turtles but I don't know if I could go there and play with them knowing they will be someone's dinner soon.

It was a hard decision, but I had to go... But yeah they are gorgeous.

I know how you feel about animals, so this might be a hard one for you.

Very sad, I know.

Gambee; your pictures are amazing!! :):)

Thank you =)

Hi Gambee

I love your port pics. My 2 grandchildren both had successfull sinus surgeries today and are scheduled to go home tom'w. Pat, now 5, is going to have a PICC(Permanent Intravenous Connection)line put in tom'w and our DD and DSIL will do antibiotic injections for 2 wks.

Some previous hospital stays lasted 10 wks so this is good news

Tom:)

I am glad the surgeries went well, I hope they get to go home tomorrow first thing. I still keep your family in my prayers Tom.

I will see you around :)

Thanks Gambee - I came across your pictures and reviews by accident and have read them all as of yesterday - a marathon! I loved your take on the this ship and the pics are fab. My DH and I will be on her sailing in the E Med & Greece cruise 26 September 13 for 12 nights, and cannot wait to enjoy this particular ship. Celebrity is a first for us, we have sailed various other lines. Do you know when the formal nights are, although I know you did not attend? Cannot wait to continue this saga along with all your other admirers!!

You will love X, they offer a great product.

Formal nights were on night 2 and night 6 I believe, yes that is correct. I knew not to attend to them, so I had to know when they were :)

Thank for following along.

I realize that for some - the turtles ending up as dinner is a bit sad but like many things they are a renewable resource.

I had to have an aggessive gator :( trapped out of a lake behind my house - I was sad because I knew that they would kill him but the man explained that nothing of the gator would go to waste and that they were renewable as they just keep breeding. The turtle farm looks clean and the animals well cared for. They meat sales and price they charge to enter probably help fund the place.

P.S. Gambee - I might be the only person who is not fisheye fan :cool: I like it for ocean view shots but the inside shots make me feel like I've had the drink package - and REALLY been using it! LOL

I guess its the circle of life, but it is still sad none the less.

I imagined so, some people would not like it. In my future reviews ill keep that in mind, I will limit the time I will use it.

It does however open new grounds of perspective.

Thank you for the lovely review. You would love Bermuda, since most stops there are several days. I do have to say I'm not a fish-eye fan, it gives me vertigo.

There is so much we want to do in Bermuda, I hope we get around doing everything I have planned.

Another "thumbs up" for the fisheye. I love how you can see so much more from one spot. Maybe I would like to come back as a fish in my next life..... Just kidding. I am afraid of water, even though I love cruising. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Great report and great pictures. Loving every minute of this review. Just having a hard time keeping up with you, Bugsy and Radio at the same time. I am not getting any work done. Oh well, there is always tomorrow......

Thanks again for all you are doing.

Gwen

Imagine keeping up with the review and writing one as well. :eek:

But thank you so much for following along. :)

Thank you for the vote on the fisheye perspective =)

Hello Gambee

Well the S class ships may not have ballrooms and orchestras for dancing or wrap around promenade decks such that exist on Cunard but S class ships sure are lovely and stylish. S class ships may not be that formal in the evening such as it is on Cunard but the passengers on your ship look polished and sophisticated. I am almost tempted to cancel my 28 day cruise to South America on the Queen Victoria and book one on the 14 days cruises on the ECLIPSE this winter!

Gambee, I hope I get to meet you one day. Your photography is marvelous. Thanks again for your great contribution to this site.

Deck Chair

Gambee,

Been a fan since the Allure review and I am lovin' this one so far.

We are off on the Allure in less than 3 weeks and I am still using your review as resource material.

Next one after the Allure will be an S class in Europe for September 2014. Most likely the Reflection.

Thanks again and I look forward to day 5.

Sylvain

I just saw when I was scanning back through the thread looking for something elase. I'll bet New York New York, sounded much better after all that champagne than Ave Maria. LOL So yes, please go ahead and upload it to YouTube. I would like to critique myself. :)

Suzanne

Yeah sounded great on both of them!

PHEW i'm glad I wasn't the first one to say it... actually I wasn't going to admit if no one else said anything :p I agree it's like one too many grey goose's for me!

Sooo sorry the weather in GC didn't cooperate - the last time I was there it was 118 degrees... ended up getting my shoulders soooo sunburnt on 7 Mile I couldn't lift my arms up for days :(

Beth....... You're supposed to love the fisheye, not you too. lol, I appreciate the criticism, thank you =)

Yeah I dont think we hit 70 degrees that day, it was pretty cold!

Loving the pictures Gambee. Everyone looks bundled up in Grand Cayman, do you happen to remember what the temperature was?

Thanks

lol, I just mentioned to Beth, yeah I don't hit we hit 70 degrees at all while in Grand Cayman and it was very windy.

WOW the Turtle Farm sure has changed since DH and I were there almost 20 years ago! Hell hasn't changed at all! :D

I love Grand Cayman! We've been there twice - once on a cruise and once land based. It's expensive, but you can still find some real deals.

The turtle farm is a huge complex and you're right Hell is much hell! lol :p

Hello Gambee

Well the S class ships may not have ballrooms and orchestras for dancing or wrap around promenade decks such that exist on Cunard but S class ships sure are lovely and stylish. S class ships may not be that formal in the evening such as it is on Cunard but the passengers on your ship look polished and sophisticated. I am almost tempted to cancel my 28 day cruise to South America on the Queen Victoria and book one on the 14 days cruises on the ECLIPSE this winter!

Gambee, I hope I get to meet you one day. Your photography is marvelous. Thanks again for your great contribution to this site.

Deck Chair

Hello Deck Chair, you just might have to try out the S class, you might be pleasantly surprised.

You just never know, we live in a very small world and I will be cruising often now that I have discovered it :D

Gambee,

Been a fan since the Allure review and I am lovin' this one so far.

We are off on the Allure in less than 3 weeks and I am still using your review as resource material.

Next one after the Allure will be an S class in Europe for September 2014. Most likely the Reflection.

Thanks again and I look forward to day 5.

Sylvain

Thank you Sylvain, I hope you have a great cruise on the Allure :).

I love the horizon shot of the ship using the fish eye! It looks as if she is about the sail around the edge of the globe! So cool! I haven't been on silhouette or reflection yet, so haven't done lawn club grill yet. It definitely looks like its a place more for the atmosphere than the cuisine. But what am atmosphere it is!

I just saw when I was scanning back through the thread looking for something elase. I'll bet New York New York, sounded much better after all that champagne than Ave Maria. LOL So yes, please go ahead and upload it to YouTube. I would like to critique myself. :)

Suzanne

I apologize mom just made me realize that you do want to see the video. Let me get started at uploading it.

The problem with the video is that I sing the entire time and make a fool of myself, so ummmmmm yeah. lol.

But I will post it anyway :D

Let me get at it :)

Gambee...count me as one of your fans. I absolutely love your reviews. The next time I'm in FLL I'll buy you a drink and you can show me how to post pictures. I'm such a computer failure. Just kidding of course. I think that molecular bar may have swayed me to try Celebrity. Awesome! I am also going out this weekend and looking at that camera of yours. You should be getting kickbacks from Celebrity and Sony! Keep up the good work. My mom and I cruised together for years and the memories are priceless. Can't wait for the Breakaway review.

I love the horizon shot of the ship using the fish eye! It looks as if she is about the sail around the edge of the globe! So cool! I haven't been on silhouette or reflection yet, so haven't done lawn club grill yet. It definitely looks like its a place more for the atmosphere than the cuisine. But what am atmosphere it is!

Ins't it amazing, I love that picture!

Yeah the lawn is something different, I am sure it has its fans.

So excited to find you - read your last review & loved it, your Mom & your partner! Looking forward to starting the journey!

Thanks for doing all this great work

Betty

Hey Betty, I am glad you found me. Hopefully you enjoy this review as much as the Allure one, I am sure putting a lot of work into it :)

Welcome Aboard!

Gambee...count me as one of your fans. I absolutely love your reviews. The next time I'm in FLL I'll buy you a drink and you can show me how to post pictures. I'm such a computer failure. Just kidding of course. I think that molecular bar may have swayed me to try Celebrity. Awesome! I am also going out this weekend and looking at that camera of yours. You should be getting kickbacks from Celebrity and Sony! Keep up the good work. My mom and I cruised together for years and the memories are priceless. Can't wait for the Breakaway review.

I will be glad to help you around with posting pictures and more, now if we are drinking while I am instructing that makes it the more fun :D.

You know surprisingly Molecular was not our favorite bar, the maritni bar is much better.

Glad to have you aboard :), thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

I will see you around.

Years ago, we were on Princess and it was too rough to tender into Grand Cayman and the Captain radioed and got permission to go to Spott's Bay. The other ships just passed on by...it was similar to a total wilderness then. They called ahead and the shore excursion people went to Spotts Bay and a few taxis. We got off the ship, looked around...that took a total of 1 minute..and got back on the tender. nice to hear that it has become an alternate stop for at least 3 ships!

Years ago, we were on Princess and it was too rough to tender into Grand Cayman and the Captain radioed and got permission to go to Spott's Bay. The other ships just passed on by...it was similar to a total wilderness then. They called ahead and the shore excursion people went to Spotts Bay and a few taxis. We got off the ship, looked around...that took a total of 1 minute..and got back on the tender. nice to hear that it has become an alternate stop for at least 3 ships!

Yeah it was great, I mean it is nothing more than a dock and thats it. We were very grateful that we got to experience Grand Cayman! And while it was crowded it was an option and I am sure everyone aboard all 3 ships was pretty happy about :).

Thank you Captain!

How Cool is This Picture????? I mean really how cool is it!?!?!?? I think this picture is my favorite one of the entire cruise!

DSC03823_zpsd365cbfb.jpg

I have to say, I am not much a fan of fisheye lenses, but this shot is AWESOME!! I agree with you!! I also LOVED your fisheye video tour! Do you have any more of those! Totally awesome!!