Help with Alaska Excursions

MariahJ

My family, including an almost 3 y/o, will be on the Disney Wonder starting July 1. We need to choose excursions in Scagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. We have decided we would like to do the following tours:

- Steam train (looks like this is only available in Scagway)

- Wildlife cruise with whale watching (based on reviews, we should avoid doing this in Ketchikan because the chances of seeing wildlife are low, and Juneau seems to be a slightly better option)

- Dog mush tour, not on glacier (seems to be available in Scagway and Juneau)

Basically to do the three tours we want seems to be impossible. I looked for an independent dog mush tour in Ketchikan but could not find one. Am I missing anything? Any thoughts on how to prioritize these in order to get the best experience? Is the railroad tour really great?

Well, we have 3 excursions and 3 locations, but really none of them can be done in Ketchican.

The train is only offered in Scagway. The dog mushing is only in Scagway and Junaeu. The wildlife cruise is much better in Juneau or Scagway, from what I have read.

I suppose I should look into doing two excursions in Juneau, but I doubt we can make that happen around nap time. Plus, that may break the bank since these excursions aren't cheap.

Ok, that definitely won't work. We're only in Juneau until 4:30. However, we'll be in Scagway 7:15 am - 7:30 pm. I wonder if it's worth trying to do both the train and the puppies on the same day. It would be quite a long day. I guess I will have to see if that is even possible with the schedules offered.

Ok, that definitely won't work. We're only in Juneau until 4:30. However, we'll be in Scagway 7:15 am - 7:30 pm. I wonder if it's worth trying to do both the train and the puppies on the same day. It would be quite a long day. I guess I will have to see if that is even possible with the schedules offered.

you can definetly do a train, dog sled on dirt , lunch and van tour back too town in skagway. it will be about a 8 hr day. i would suggest a independent tour. i posted chilkoots tours and prices here. do a advance search for my user name and it should come up.

in juneau you can catch the blue bus and go out too mendenhall glacier and walk around. it is $8pp one way.

in ketchikan why not try the duck ride. i bet the 3 yr old would like it. have a great time.

have a great cruise.

in ketchikan why not try the duck ride. i bet the 3 yr old would like it. have a great time.

I am debating between that and the Lumberjack show, now that we have an open spot! Or maybe the Wildlife Sanctuary. So many choices!

I am debating between that and the Lumberjack show, now that we have an open spot! Or maybe the Wildlife Sanctuary. So many choices!

i know it is very hard too nail down what you want too do. dont be afraid too wait untill you get too ketchikan too decide what you want too do. that way if the weather is rainy ( ketchikan is notorious for that ) you wont have too get your 3 yr old out in it.

im glad you where given the chilkott link. i am already booked for my sept tour with them. the puppies are so cute. just so you will know, they will charge your credit card when you book.

My family, including an almost 3 y/o, will be on the Disney Wonder starting July 1. We need to choose excursions in Scagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. We have decided we would like to do the following tours:

- Steam train (looks like this is only available in Scagway)

- Wildlife cruise with whale watching (based on reviews, we should avoid doing this in Ketchikan because the chances of seeing wildlife are low, and Juneau seems to be a slightly better option)

- Dog mush tour, not on glacier (seems to be available in Scagway and Juneau)

Basically to do the three tours we want seems to be impossible. I looked for an independent dog mush tour in Ketchikan but could not find one. Am I missing anything? Any thoughts on how to prioritize these in order to get the best experience? Is the railroad tour really great?

It is Skagway.

Is the steam train available your port day? If so, consid er the first or last run. round trip train. You have been given the Chilkoot link, BUT this long tour is risky with an unpredictable 3 year old, and NO way out. Instead, you may want to consider a rental car, and a round trip train, like I suggest above. With that you drive yourself direct to Cairbou Crossing and on to a dog sled cart ride http://cariboucrossing.ca/ FAR better choice for the freedom to stop and turn back when you decide.

Frankly you are going to have scale, way back your expectations for a "wildlife" cruise for a 3 year old. First problem, this is not a zoo, a 3 year old can not "track" or "follow" the directions necessary for successful sightings. These are mostly SEA animals. IN the water. The "viewing" time is seconds, with minutes of waiting. A 3 year old is going to loose interest very quickly. They will have to be "confined" by you, so you need to take a realistic look at the reality. :) You may want to wait, since there is no way to predict their behavior more than maybe a month ahead.

Ketchikan is a great walking city, looking at salmon- if a run, and totems may be of interest? There is a small hatchery which, in the past, had a few eagles, reasonable admission. Walking along the marina at low tide offers looks at all kinds of sea life. You won't believe the variations of colors of the starfish. :) All kinds of "stuff" stuck to the dock pylons. :)

Ketchikan is a great walking city, looking at salmon- if a run, and totems may be of interest? There is a small hatchery which, in the past, had a few eagles, reasonable admission. Walking along the marina at low tide offers looks at all kinds of sea life. You won't believe the variations of colors of the starfish. :) All kinds of "stuff" stuck to the dock pylons. :)

thanks budget queen. you always give great advice and bring up new ideas for us too do. i will finally be able too just walk around ketchikan and enjoy the city. i have never looked for things along the waterfront but i will this time. and i want too get on the city bus and go out too totom park. cant wait. :)

Archived