Other Cruise Lines

Great list Geo, thanks for that.

I think the reason that most of us like the British lines is that most of the guests will be Brits, we had problems with rude and ignorant Spaniards and Italians on NCL. Plus, all the announcements in other languages get on your nerves.

Dave, where have you found next summer's prices for P&O?

Next years brochure for P&O does not include prices :eek: which means you will either have to wait until the cruises go on sale next week, in which case there will apparently be a new web site giving details, or go to a certain online TA that i can't mention here who lists the basic prices for all cabin categories. From that mysterious site I find that an inside single cabin on a Ventura fly cruise in May 2014 will cost me about £2007 for 14 nights including flights.

My brochure arrived this morning but the P&O price site is still not working :(

This might help....a bit??

A few notes taken from my own collection of cruise lines/ships infos/snippets

rough guide to cruise lines daily surcharges (tips)

p&o £3.10 per day added to account

Fred £4 per day

Carnival $11.50

Hal $11.50

Royal Caribbean $11.65

Celebrity $11.50

Oceana $14.50

Cunard £6.82 or £8.06 depending on cabin grade

Princess $10.50

msc amounts vary per cruise

however, this charge can be altered at the start or cancelled altogether in favour of tipping the staff personally

some also charge a further 15% service charge on drinks/spa treatments etc

regent, crystal, seabourne, saga, silversea, thomsons, island cruises, voyages of discovery, hurtigruten all have tips included in the fare

rough guide to main cruise lines

carnival: cruising for those with a low boredom threshold, emphasis on fun activities, ultra casual

celebrity: all american cruise experience aimed at families and mature couples, well maintained ships, lots of antiques and artwork, high staff to guest ratio

cunard: extremely civilised cruising experience, formal dress codes, lots of grand ocean liner traditions, international passengers, much wood panelling

azmara: country club experience, european style service, smaller ships

Fred Olsen: british cruise experience aimed at over 65's, themed cruises such as gardening or Scottish country dancing, many ex UK itineraries

hal: aimed at family groups, has a private island in bahamas, well maintained ships with much attention to detail

p&o traditional british cruising experience, some child free ships, bistro style food, non glitzy

Princess: mainstream American cruise experience with a fleet of ships, floating resort experience, and smart casual interpreted as jeans tracksuits and trainers

RCI: great for families, lively cruise experience, shopping malls, rock, climbing walls, lots of sports, great for active types

Voyages of discovery: value for money cruises aimed at British market, some expedition style cruises

Also if you leave from a Spanish port Barcelona for example RCI also add 10% + Spanish Tax, it depends on what you buy it could be more than 10% two small bottles of cider on RCI cost hubby just under $15 :eek:

Archived