Dollar Rental Car/Port Canaveral Specifics - Need Help

Luv06012012

Hello - I'm looking for information from anyone who recently rented from Dollar Rental Car to and from Port Canaveral. From what I read, their drop off location is not actually at the port but at 6799 N. Atlantic Ave.? I have some questions:

1. Should my husband drop me off at the port with our luggage and they drive to the above location to drop the car off?

2. I know they provide shuttle service to the port, but I read somewhere that certain companies have limited shuttles or only drop off at certain times...is this true with Dollar? Have you had trouble getting back to the port? I don't want to be left there by myself waiting forever.

3. Anyone that has recently rented from Dollar...can you tell me how your experience was and how smooth or non-smooth it went.

I'm just concerned about us being able to board the ship at a good time. Btw, we already have the reservation with Dollar as they were the cheapest with a discount I get through my employer. Thanks!

Hello,

I cant answer all of your specific questions and I'm sorry, I'm in a similar boat (no pun intended) but using Budget with regards to dropping people off at port then dropping off rental then taking shuttle back.

Someone else posted a similar question and the answers that I've gleaned is that it is probably best to have both of you goto dollar then shuttle together in. Traffic in the port area can be very congested and if your husband drops you off he's gotta fight that traffic in/out and really the only thing you can do is arrange luggage pickup with the porters. You can't really check in since your husband won't be with you (checking passports, credit cards etc...).

So one poster simply stated its just easier if everyone in your group just stays together. Just food for thought.

Hello,

I cant answer all of your specific questions and I'm sorry, I'm in a similar boat (no pun intended) but using Budget with regards to dropping people off at port then dropping off rental then taking shuttle back.

Someone else posted a similar question and the answers that I've gleaned is that it is probably best to have both of you goto dollar then shuttle together in. Traffic in the port area can be very congested and if your husband drops you off he's gotta fight that traffic in/out and really the only thing you can do is arrange luggage pickup with the porters. You can't really check in since your husband won't be with you (checking passports, credit cards etc...).

So one poster simply stated its just easier if everyone in your group just stays together. Just food for thought.

Thank you! After thinking it over I believe that's what we will do...I don't want to be seperated....

We normally drop the hire car off together and just get the shuttle to the port. The car hire companies are all close to the port and run frequent shuttles. We have never had a problem.

Think its best not to get separated.

Hope you have a great time.

We normally drop the hire car off together and just get the shuttle to the port. The car hire companies are all close to the port and run frequent shuttles. We have never had a problem.

Think its best not to get separated.

Hope you have a great time.

Is it a problem to have your luggage with you? Thank you for this info...I can't wait...we need a vacation sooooooo bad!

I can't speak for Dollar but I returned a vehicle to Budget's location in August 2012. After checking out of the Country Inn and Suites in Cape Canaveral I drove with my wife and son over to Port Canaveral. We drove through the parking garage and to the front of the terminal where we handed over our luggage to the stewards. We then drove back to Cape Canaveral where the Budget office is located. It was busy there that morning because there were three ships in port and many cruisers were either picking up or dropping off vehicles. I got on the customer service line and returned the vehicle within fifteen minutes. We then waited on a longer line outside of the facility for the free shuttle service back to Port Canaveral. We waited for approximately thirty minutes for the shuttle to take us back to the port. Some renters asked for a cab to pick them up because they didn't want to wait. Budget customer service employees gladly contacted the local taxi company. The reason for the longer shuttle wait was the fact that most of the cruise passengers didn't drop off their luggage at the port before they returned their rental vehicle. The entire process took approximately ninety minutes.

Archived