12:30pm Flight out of LAX

ifuonlyknewme

Hi

I'm trying to figure out if this flight is to early. I have never been to California so I just checked on how long it would take me to get from port to aorport and it said 28min. So I would have to be off the ship and throught customs at least by 11:00am do you think that I should do it or go for something later?

Thanks

Hi

I'm trying to figure out if this flight is to early. I have never been to California so I just checked on how long it would take me to get from port to aorport and it said 28min. So I would have to be off the ship and throught customs at least by 11:00am do you think that I should do it or go for something later?

Thanks

First of all, when does your ship dock that morning? 30 min to airport leaves you an hour to check your bags, get boarding passes, go through security & get to your gate. In my estimation I think it's too close. You also mention going through customs - Port authority must clear the ship to disembark, but if the cruise doesn't go to foreign port & you are citizen you don't go through customs.

First of all, when does your ship dock that morning? 30 min to airport leaves you an hour to check your bags, get boarding passes, go through security & get to your gate. In my estimation I think it's too close. You also mention going through customs - Port authority must clear the ship to disembark, but if the cruise doesn't go to foreign port & you are citizen you don't go through customs.

I'm sorry I should have given more information. We are doing a 15 day Hawaiian crusie the last stop is Mexico so I'm not sure if we still have to go through customs. I just looked at the time that we dock at it's at 9am so that is not going to work.

Thanks for you info and help.

Nellie

I'm sorry I should have given more information. We are doing a 15 day Hawaiian crusie the last stop is Mexico so I'm not sure if we still have to go through customs. I just looked at the time that we dock at it's at 9am so that is not going to work.

Thanks for you info and help.

Nellie

Customs for sure with stop in Mexico. Hopefully someone else has better information for time to get off. Have you checked the roll calls for previous cruises - someone on those could give better information about how long before they could start disembarking. Also a better idea of how long to airport & checkin time needed. 30 minutes at best, but could be much longer @ different time of day.

On-line, the cruise line should have something telling you the earliest flight to book for your particular cruise (you may have that info in your signature, but I have signatures turned off).

I will tell you that the one time we sailed out of Long Beach and flew out of LAX, we were at the airport and through security by 10:00 (docked at 7). And we did not carry off our own luggage.... We used Super Shuttle and they were waiting at the port (if you use them, make a reservation).

Normally, I recommend a flight after 12:30 PM.

For LAX I prefer to get to the airport 2 hours before the flight and I would allow 45 minutes for travel.

The issue is always how long it will take to clear your ship and will there be any delays.

I am not sure what the time frame is for your cruise but if it is in the next couple of months I would go with a later flight because of sequester and the unknowns as to whether it is going to have an impact on the number of personnel who are in customs and immigration. So, if you are traveling soon I would go with a 2:00 PM flight.

As to the past, yes, I've been to LAX by 10:00 AM and even once at 9:30 AM but have also been on some cruises where I didn't arrive to the airport until much later.

Keith

If I figured it out right, they are coming back on a Sunday. Traffic should be light. It is 26 miles from the port to the airport. I live around 35 miles from LAX and allow a minimum of an hour to get there. The drive Saturday morning (yesterday) was 45 minutes and I was hurrying and there were no accidents or construction.

However, they are arriving at port at 9:00. We all know that arriving and getting off the ship are two different things. That does not leave much time to get off the ship, pick up their luggage, get transportation, do the drive, go through check in for both them and the luggage, TSA and catch a 12:30 flight. For the stress, I would go for a later flight.

If I figured it out right, they are coming back on a Sunday. Traffic should be light. It is 26 miles from the port to the airport. I live around 35 miles from LAX and allow a minimum of an hour to get there. The drive Saturday morning (yesterday) was 45 minutes and I was hurrying and there were no accidents or construction.

Whoops, I should have said 45 minutes to get to the LAX offramp. It still would have taken another 10 or so minutes to actually get to the airport from the 405.

Archived