Viking Footsteps of the Cossacks 2014 prices

Sparky333

I've been waiting for that itinerary to be posted on the Viking website and I see it finally is there. They're using a different ship next year, the Sineus, says newly refurbished.

I was a bit surprised by the pricing - compared to what you can still see of the 2013 dates it seems a lot higher. The late May 2014 sailings are $4988 pp for the least expensive cabins (half of the supposed $9799 2-for-1 rate).

For 2013 that same date and a standard cabin (not even the cheapest as that's sold out) it's $2538 (half of the 2-for-1 of $4899).

That means 2014 is double the price. Do they reduce the prices that much as you approach the sail date?

Looks like the 2014 prices have doubled compared to 2013 which is almost sold out. Should be interesting to see if cruisers will pay the higher amount to see that part of Russia. Looks like some of the rooms have doubled in size on the 2014 ship.

The new ship is a significant upgrade from the old.

The bathrooms are better and larger, no more "yacht" showers.

Real beds that can be separated if desired.

Fridges and safes in the rooms.

There are balconies and more.

Value is a judgement I won't make.

I'm glad there's something to explain the increase! But still, doubling the price makes me scratch it off my list. I don't know how their pricing works as the date gets closer...maybe by next year it will be listed at something closer to the 2013 rate if it doesn't sell out.

I've been waiting for that itinerary to be posted on the Viking website and I see it finally is there. They're using a different ship next year, the Sineus, says newly refurbished.

I was a bit surprised by the pricing - compared to what you can still see of the 2013 dates it seems a lot higher. The late May 2014 sailings are $4988 pp for the least expensive cabins (half of the supposed $9799 2-for-1 rate).

For 2013 that same date and a standard cabin (not even the cheapest as that's sold out) it's $2538 (half of the 2-for-1 of $4899).

That means 2014 is double the price. Do they reduce the prices that much as you approach the sail date?

Hi Sparky,

I booked a 2014 Russian river cruise with Viking this week. They said if the price drops they refund the difference so it should work out fine.

Dr. Kit

Looks like the 2014 prices have doubled compared to 2013 which is almost sold out. Should be interesting to see if cruisers will pay the higher amount to see that part of Russia. Looks like some of the rooms have doubled in size on the 2014 ship.

You can't compare this trip to Ukraine with the itineraries or pricing in Russia because they are two different countries with two different economies, two different sets of local contractors and two different sets of laws to contend with.

Only time will tell if Viking is pricing itself out of the market on its Dnieper River itinerary.

Many cruise lines have refurbished their ships without that large of a price increase.

In Ukraine, Viking must lease its ship from a Ukrainian company. It does not have the option of operating its own ships and therefore is over a barrel if it wishes to continue doing business in Ukraine. If Viking could operate its own ship, then perhaps we would be seeing one of the new longships on this itinerary instead of a refurbished vessel.

Archived