Pompeii? - Slight Problem Walking

hazeleyez3

Is Pompeii easy to walk around? Stairs and rocky terrain (especially on hills) can be tricky for me..I don't want to book a tour there and find out that its a place that would be more of a frustration than an enjoyable visit.

It's been several years since we visited Pompeii, but as I remember, it was not too hard to walk around. There are few stairs. However, the streets are cobblestones, which can be uneven. Look at Google images of Pompeii to see if you think you can navigate the streets. It's worth seeing if you can do it!

Nancy

We were also there several years ago and as I remember it was very difficult walking there.

The ground is very uneven and that makes it hard to walk. I took a 3 legged cane that opened to a seat and I needed to sit down many times along the way. My husband had an even harder time trying to keep up with the group.

All that being said, it was a fascinating place to see and I am glad that I went.

Go and enjoy as much as you can of the tour. If you have to, you can find a place to sit and wait while the rest of the people finish the tour, then the tour guide can come back for you. My husband has needed to do that on many tours that we have taken.

We went last year and had people ages 20 up to 82 years old. One had back problems and could not walk really well, one had knee replacement 4 months prior. We hired a guide at Pompeii and that worked out well for us. We only had to keep up with ourselves. The guide paced the tour to suit us.

I found it very dificult to walk there. There is a very big hill just to get into the city, lots of steps, rutted roads with large high stepping stones in the middle of the road. Be aware there are also a lot of wild dogs in the city. You are not allowd to bring in any kind of a bag so prepare for that. It was something that i always wanted to do and would love to try again.

If you use a cane for balance, Pompeii is very difficult. We went to the Archaeological Museum in Naples instead. They had a wonderful display of items from Pompeii. Really interesting. Museum has an elevator you can use to got to all the floors. Warning, outside the entrance, there is about 20 stairs, no handrails to get up into it. But, you can walk to the corner (a slope), & then go straight in. Alert the tour guide or taxi driver.

Is Pompeii easy to walk around? Stairs and rocky terrain (especially on hills) can be tricky for me..I don't want to book a tour there and find out that its a place that would be more of a frustration than an enjoyable visit.

Recommend you check out the video in this link http://www.colrebsez.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/theres-no-ada-in-europe-and-getting.html

The portion on Pompeii starts around the 1:00 mark on the video .

Great video of Acropolis and Pompeii. I might take Dad to Herculanum instead or take a quick tour of Pompeii while he stays back. I saw pic of Acropolis but that elevator looks scary but doable.

He also had a good write up on some ports that I am going to and good reviews on tour companies that I am considering.

I thought Ephesus would be bad and he confirmed it- we are going to try wheelchair accessible excursion with Royal Carribbean or I will go alone.

Great info! Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I found it very dificult to walk there. There is a very big hill just to get into the city' date=' lots of steps, rutted roads with large high stepping stones in the middle of the road. Be aware there are also a lot of wild dogs in the city. You are not allowd to bring in any kind of a bag so prepare for that. It was something that i always wanted to do and would love to try again.[/quote']

We were there last year and there were NO wild dogs in Pompeii. We were allowed to carry a backpack, tote, purse--whatever you wanted to schlep (though I don't know why anyone would want to carry anything large or heavy). The streets are uneven, and there are large stepping stones in the middle. I had recently had a knee replacement, so I brought a cane simply for balance. My DH was a help stepping down from high curbs, I could use his arm as a support. That said, it was an incredible experience!

Ricki

Archived