Anything Montreal

sebas030

Three of us will be arriving on Silver Whisper in Montreal on 26 September. We will be staying in Montreal until our flight Monday morning at around 0800. Would appreciate thoughts on

• Where to stay. We are 3 Adult family members and typically stay in a B&B or Self-catering apt. Occasionally a hotel like Embassy suites or such.
  • "Must see" or "Must do"
  • Activities. We are in our 60s and sort of outdoorsy without being thrill seeking so; bike rides, parks, pedestrian malls and such seem to be some of our favorite things.
  • Places and things to eat. Especially, any "Montreal" specialty. We do enjoy trying our best to act like locals.
  • Any areas we should avoid?
  • How are the subway? Busses for getting around?
  • Best way to get to airport early Monday morning and how much time should we allow?
  • Since we're flying direct to US cities do we pre-clear US customs in Montreal??
  • Anything I haven't asked but should have?

Thank you for your ideas, thoughts and recommendations.

Greg

Wow...asking for quite a bit of info here...

• Where to stay. We are 3 Adult family members and typically stay in a B&B or Self-catering apt. Occasionally a hotel like Embassy suites or such.

There are a few B&B around Old Montreal. I've never stayed in any, so cannot vouch for them.

- Couette & Chocolat 514-876-3960

- La Conciergerie 514-289-9297

- Angelica Blue 514-288-5969

- Jade Blue 514-844-5048

• "Must see" or "Must do"

Suggest you read through my previous posts in this thread...there are quite a few suggestions / ideas.

• Activities. We are in our 60s and sort of outdoorsy without being thrill seeking so; bike rides, parks, pedestrian malls and such seem to be some of our favorite things.

Same as above.

• Places and things to eat. Especially, any "Montreal" specialty. We do enjoy trying our best to act like locals.

Montreal Smoked Meat !

- Schwartz's Deli 514-842-4813

• Any areas we should avoid?

Avoid certain areas of Montreal North due to gangs...but that is very far away...and not much to see there anyways.

• How are the subway? Busses for getting around?

Subway is fantastic ! Busses very good, but routes & schedules can be challenging to grasp...drivers are always willing to help !

• Best way to get to airport early Monday morning and how much time should we allow?

Mondays SUCK for commuting. If staying in Old Montreal or Downtown, a cab normally runs about $40...ask for the FLAT RATE fee rather than per minute/mile.

There is also the #747 airport bus...about $10/person...frequent service...see previous posts.

• Since we're flying direct to US cities do we pre-clear US customs in Montreal??

Yes, you will clear US customs here in Montreal. Allow 3 hours for check-in / security / customs.

• Anything I haven't asked but should have?

Kinda hard to advise you on that one since I don't know you :)

p mori7,

Thanks for the info. Will definitely hit Schwarz's Deli. When I looked at the 747web site it looks like the bus is included in a 3 day flat rate STM ticket. Did I understand that correctly? Do you know if the 3 day ticket is a s4 hour day (really 72 hours) ticket? Since we'll be off the ship and checked in wherever at about noon on Friday, that's when we'd buy our ticket. If the ticket is good Friday, Sat, and Sun; then we're on our won Monday AM going to the Airport. If, on the other hand, the ticket is 72 hours it'll be good until noon Monday (we'll be on our plane by then).

Also, some years ago my wife was in Ottawa and had a Canadian delicacy called "Beaver Tail." Is that unique to Ottawa or will be able to find it in either Montreal or Quebec? Can you recommend a reasonable (some combination of inexpensive, safe, and not too loud) for a group of three seniors to have a drink down in the Vieux Port area??

Thanks,

Greg

When I looked at the 747web site it looks like the bus is included in a 3 day flat rate STM ticket. Did I understand that correctly? Do you know if the 3 day ticket is a s4 hour day (really 72 hours) ticket?

Also, some years ago my wife was in Ottawa and had a Canadian delicacy called "Beaver Tail." Is that unique to Ottawa or will be able to find it in either Montreal or Quebec?

Can you recommend a reasonable (some combination of inexpensive, safe, and not too loud) for a group of three seniors to have a drink down in the Vieux Port area??

Thanks,

Greg

Greg;

If you purchase a 3-day pass, it is valid for 72 hours starting at first validation. See details here:

http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/opus-cards-and-other-fare-media/occasional-card

If you have the 3-day pass, you can use the 747 at NO EXTRA CHARGE.

Beaver Tails are also available at many locations in Montreal & Quebec City. You'll have to look for the FRENCH sign:

castor.jpg

I like this place: http://les3brasseurs.ca/

:)

Edited by p_mori7

p mori7,

Thanks for confirming the 72hour duration of the 3 day card. That sure sounds like the best deal for us as it takes care of transport to the airport also. my wife will be thrilled to introduce my cousin and I to beaver tails. The 3 Brewers looks like exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks,

Greg

Cruise season starts TODAY in Montreal ! The Maasdam arrived this morning. She will visit Montreal 12 times this year.

maasdam.jpg

Yes, and it was charted by a specialty travel agency. They specialize in lesbian tourism.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely have not problem with that...I am just saying...that's what I read in a cruise report.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Cruise season starts TODAY in Montreal ! The Maasdam arrived this morning. She will visit Montreal 12 times this year.

Thank you, p_mori, for the wealth of information you've provided re: your fair city! I found this thread back in January when I began researching my upcoming trip, and I've read thru every post. You jumped in after the OP made the offer but failed to come thru. You've obviously spent a great deal of time, thoughtfully answering the questions and showing a great deal of enthusiasm for All Things Montreal. :)

I'll be arriving in Montreal on the Maasdam on May 31st and flying out on June 1. Thanks to you, I know better than to try to walk from the ship to my lodging in Old Montreal, I'm confident in my hotel choice, and I'm looking forward to exploring the area on my own.

Should you ever find yourself in Boston, know that I'd be happy to reciprocate!

Thanks to you, I know better than to try to walk from the ship to my lodging in Old Montreal, I'm confident in my hotel choice, and I'm looking forward to exploring the area on my own.

Should you ever find yourself in Boston, know that I'd be happy to reciprocate!

Thank-you very much ! :D

You should come back to this thread after your cruise and let every body know what you did / where you stayed / how everything went !

Enjoy your cruise !

Edited by p_mori7

How about some 'different' lunch / drinks ideas while visiting Montreal ?

1- PLACE DE L'HORLOGE / CLOCK TOWER BEACH

Right in Old Montreal, at the Clock Tower Quay, outdoor tables with blue parasols, barefoot in the sand.

http://www.oldportofmontreal.com/clock-tower-beach.html

2- TRIPLE CROWN DINETTE

In the heart of Little Italy, Lemonade or Iced Tea in mason jars, your lunch selections as well as tableware are served in a picnic basket that you take to the park across the street.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/triple-crown-dinette-montr%C3%A9al

3- ESPACE LA FONTAINE

A little bistro in the heart of Lafontaine Park. A really enjoyable place for lunch or dinner in the middle of the city. Closed Mondays & Tuesdays. Use the outside seating !

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d3158748-Reviews-Espace_La_Fontaine-Montreal_Quebec.html

• 2 weeks later...

sebas030,

Thank you! We'll be flying in to YUL Oct.17, 2014 for a HAL departure the next day. 10-Day The Atlantic Coast Cruise.

We arrive at YUL about 4pm on Friday. Maasdam sails at 4pm Saturday.

Looking for nice hotel near interesting part of town and lunch restaurant until we head to ship.

Edited by cedarholm

sebas030,

Thank you! We'll be flying in to YUL Oct.17, 2014 for a HAL departure the next day. 10-Day The Atlantic Coast Cruise.

We arrive at YUL about 4pm on Friday. Maasdam sails at 4pm Saturday.

Looking for nice hotel near interesting part of town and lunch restaurant until we head to ship.

Here is a link to the top 50 restaurants in Canada, look for the ones in Montreal. There is also a link to last year's top 50, so look for constancy in the ratings.

http://vacay.ca/top-50-restaurants/

Some, like Joe beef, are hard to get into...reservation long time in advance are required.

Old Montreal / Old Port is a very beautiful part of Montreal ( and the most interesting for tourist IMO). Some streets are still paved with old stones, some are closed to traffic and accessible by foot only. Many many boutique, restaurants, entertainement, museum, etc...

For hotels, I could suggest : Hotel Nelligan 4.0 of 5 stars

106 Saint Paul St W, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Z3, Canada

Auberge Bonaparte 3.5 of 5 stars

447 St.-Francois Xavier, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2T1, Canada

Hotel Le St-James 5.0 of 5 stars

355 St-Jacques, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1N9, Canada

Those, and a few others, are right in Old Port and are a few steps away from the Pier.

Mid-October can be tricky for the weather, we could be in a summer like weather or it could be wet and cold... Look for the weather forecast on http://www.meteomedia.com before arriving in Montreal just to be prepared :D

Have fun,

Thank-you very much ! :D

You should come back to this thread after your cruise and let every body know what you did / where you stayed / how everything went !

Enjoy your cruise !

I’m back and settled in and, as recommended, here to tell you about our day in Montreal.

Disembarkation went very smooth, albeit a little sad when our number was called to leave the Maasdam. We booked L’Hotel Montreal at 262 Rue St Jacques, based on a recommendation from a business associate. We knew the hotel was less than a half mile from the cruise terminal so, despite the up hill trek and the cobblestones we knew to expect, we opted to walk instead of waiting for a taxi. It was a beautiful, sunny morning and we had much less to drag along than we originally expected. It turned out to be a nice, rather enjoyable stroll and the hotel was very easy to find. Our rooms weren’t ready when we arrived at 9 a.m., but they offered to store our bags and helped us with arrangements for a Hop On, Hop Off tour of Montreal. The pickup spot was only a couple of blocks away and the first double-decker trolley arrived promptly at 10 a.m. We stayed on for the entire loop. Definitely worth the $$ for the tickets (a 2-day pass). Our guide was fun, accommodating and extremely knowledgeable!

After the tour we began exploring Old Montreal. We enjoyed a late afternoon lunch at Chez Suzette. French onion soup, salads and, of course, dessert crepes for which they are renowned. Suzette certainly didn’t disappoint! What a great place! Excellent food and perfectly located with sidewalk seating for some interesting “people watching.”

Around 3 p.m. we headed back towards the hotel, where we were promptly checked in. There were other people who had come from the ship who told how the taxi driver “got lost” on the way to the hotel and they ended up with a much longer, costlier ride than it should have been. The hotel acknowledged they had heard similar stories throughout the day! So glad we were adventurous enough to walk from the ship to the hotel!! Can’t say enough wonderful things about L’Hotel Montreal. The rooms were fantastic and the artwork was a great surprise! Service was outstanding. They even made arrangements for our taxi the following morning. Our room reservation included their continental breakfast… pretty much your standard fare, but it was all so fresh and delicious…. especially the pastries!

As for Old Montreal, I think we hit all the streets, with Rue St Paul being a favorite! SO much to do and see. Overall, our quick intro to Montreal and Quebec left us planning to make a return trip for a long weekend. :D We’re from Boston so the drive won’t be so difficult.

The only surprise came when we arrived at the airport in Montreal for our flight home on Sunday. That was when we found out the 50# weight limit on bags didn’t matter, because on Air Canada international flights, all bags checked incur a cost. :eek: Lesson learned!

Thanks to you for your advice and continuing help on this thread!

Just curious how much a taxi is from Airport (YUL) to the ship?? Is it a flat rate from those at the airport? If not is there a way to make sure that we get the most direct route? Thanks!

Not sure about to the cruise terminal (which is in Old Montreal) but To/From the Airport to Old Montreal Hotels is a flat rate of $40 Canadian per trip.

• 2 weeks later...

where is the best area to stay for sightseeing in Montreal for 2 nights? We want to be close to places to eat and public transportation (taking the train in from Quebec after a cruise) and will make our way to Toronto afterward-maybe by train or bus. It is our first time to the east coast and want to get an overview of the city.

Dear p_mori7,

Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into answering everyone's questions. I hope you can help me make the best choices for our visit to Montreal on Oct. 20.

Our flight arrives at YUL at 11:30 pm and we sail out of Quebec on Oct. 22. Should I book an airport hotel since we are arriving so late? I was looking at the bus for the trip to Quebec which I read picked up at the airport. Is that correct? Do Montreal tours pick up at the airport or do we need to move to a hotel downtown or check into one when we first arrive? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Virginia

Hmmm - I guess the regular Montreal posters are all cruising!

GMF - I'd always recommend downtown, in or near Old Montreal, for a first-time visitor. Not only is it super convenient for joining your ship, but it's the nicest-looking part of town for wandering - very European. Springhill Suites is a real bargain - if your budget will accommodate it though, the Queen Lizzie is literally on top of the central train station so you can't ask for more convenience if you're arriving/departing by train. I would recommend using the train if your luggage allows (ensure you meet the VIA carry-on restrictions, as few trains have a baggage car for checked luggage these days).

TM - unless you book the Marriott you'll have to wait for a shuttle to come get you and take you to any other airport hotel. Frankly that late at night is the perfect time to take a cab - they'll be waiting for you to jump right in. While it's a flat rate of $40 to downtown so it will cost the same regardless of traffic delays, you're only here for a day so why waste time sitting in a cab crawling along next morning? Just get yourself downtown to your hotel as soon as you arrive, and you can maximise your actual touring time next day.

Without traffic you can get all the way to Old Town in 20 minutes (Montreal cabbies tend to drive a leeeeeeetle over the limit when they have the opportunity...) which is probably less than 5 minutes more than waiting for a shuttle. If you try to drive to downtown next morning, expect double that - and don't be too shocked if it takes an hour...

No idea which if any tours will pick you up at the airport, but even if they do unless you are heading out of town on that side you're going to waste time - and with just a day, I imagine any tours you're interested in are of Montreal rather than out of town. While you can get on long-distance buses, and some trains, conveniently from the airport the huge timesuck getting to & from the airport for all your sightseeing is just a waste IMO - and you'll be very restricted in your dining options compared to downtown too.

Thanks for the great information. You have convinced me to head downtown when we arrive so we can maximize our one day in town. That's why I came here to ask- cc has the best advice and most generous experts.

Do you know who does the day trip to Quebec and the waterfalls that Viator sells? If we do that the day we sail, what do you suggest we see our full day there?

Thanks for the great information. You have convinced me to head downtown when we arrive so we can maximize our one day in town. That's why I came here to ask- cc has the best advice and most generous experts.

Do you know who does the day trip to Quebec and the waterfalls that Viator sells? If we do that the day we sail' date=' what do you suggest we see our full day there?[/quote']

I'm afraid I can't comment on quality of day trip providers - everything outside urban Montreal/Quebec we've done via our own car when we lived in Toronto. Any visits since we've found plenty to entertain us downtown in both cities.

The waterfall (and I assume Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré unless it's a very short trip) is a very popular tour and for good reason. It's quite a sight, especially if there's been plenty of rain. If you're not particularly religious - i.e. a church may be interesting architecturally to you but not so much spiritually - you might consider skipping a full day tour. The Falls can be reached by public transit quite easily, and the time saved would enable visiting other places around QC on the same day - e.g. the more impressive IMO church of Notre-Dame. If you're not an experienced traveler in Europe, it's easy and nice to while away a whole day just puttering around the old parts of town taking lots of photos.

My favourite thing to do in Quebec though has always been to leave it - temporarily, by hopping onto the commuter ferry over to Lévis;-) The views of the city from the top of the slope over there are unparalleled, and there are some pleasant streets to wander which are much, much quieter than in QC. For your first trip, I'd also strongly recommend the Citadel - there's lots of good info about the formative years of the province, the French/British conflict etc. - and who doesn't like visiting a fortress!?

If you have any other Quebec City Qs I suggest posting on a different thread - this one is supposed to be focused on Montreal, so let's not go off-topic too much!

Do you know who does the day trip to Quebec and the waterfalls that Viator sells? If we do that the day we sail' date=' what do you suggest we see our full day there?[/quote']

I have posted an answer for you on this Québec City thread "Québec City by Foot - Detailled Itinerary"

I'm afraid I can't comment on quality of day trip providers - everything outside urban Montreal/Quebec we've done via our own car when we lived in Toronto. Any visits since we've found plenty to entertain us downtown in both cities.

The waterfall (and I assume Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré unless it's a very short trip) is a very popular tour and for good reason. It's quite a sight, especially if there's been plenty of rain. If you're not particularly religious - i.e. a church may be interesting architecturally to you but not so much spiritually - you might consider skipping a full day tour. The Falls can be reached by public transit quite easily, and the time saved would enable visiting other places around QC on the same day - e.g. the more impressive IMO church of Notre-Dame. If you're not an experienced traveler in Europe, it's easy and nice to while away a whole day just puttering around the old parts of town taking lots of photos.

My favourite thing to do in Quebec though has always been to leave it - temporarily, by hopping onto the commuter ferry over to Lévis;-) The views of the city from the top of the slope over there are unparalleled, and there are some pleasant streets to wander which are much, much quieter than in QC. For your first trip, I'd also strongly recommend the Citadel - there's lots of good info about the formative years of the province, the French/British conflict etc. - and who doesn't like visiting a fortress!?

If you have any other Quebec City Qs I suggest posting on a different thread - this one is supposed to be focused on Montreal, so let's not go off-topic too much!

Thank you for filling in for the regular Québec posters. They might be away for the week enjoying the great outdoors since it was a statutory holiday here on June 24th.

You are such a great poster. I always like to read your posts even on the other threads.:)

Thank you for filling in for the regular Québec posters. They might be away for the week enjoying the great outdoors since it was a statutory holiday here on June 24th.

You are such a great poster. I always like to read your posts even on the other threads.:)

Thank you! :o

It is often discussed here on CC, train doesn't have full luggage service on all trains ( some say they can accommodate even on the "no luggage" trains ) .

Bus is 60$ per person and offer full luggage service.

Renting a car could be much less expensive if you are 3 or more in your party.

Have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app