Anything Montreal

sebas030

Taking your advice' date=' I booked 2 nights at the Spring Hill Suites.:) I think my luggage is too large for the train, so we'll buy bus tickets. Can you tell me where the bus station is and how early do we need to be there?[/quote']

The Montréal Central Bus Station (Gare d’Autocars de Montréal) is situated at 1717 Berri Street. It is a 6-7 minutes cab ride from the Springhill Suites.

I haven’t taken the bus to Québec City in many years but it is stated on the bus terminal website you should arrive at least 45 to 60 minutes in advance (because you cannot reserve a seat but this is changing,,, )

Effective October 1 2014 all passengers will require a ticket with a reservation

Here is more detailed info: http://www.orleansexpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ORLEANS_OUTILS-DEPLIANT_ANGHR.pdf

All this being said, I would definitely give them a call (Orleans Express) at 1-888-999-3977 to confirm all the above info and reserve your ticket if possible for the dates and time you wish to travel.

That is what I needed to know' date=' thanks. I will book our tickets next week.

What would be a good place to eat close to SpringHill Suites? Not too expensive.[/quote']

Hello Virginia;

My apologies for such a late reply to your initial post, I was incommunicado way up in Northern Quebec for a fishing trip...just got back a few hours ago.

Restaurant suggestions...since you are arriving so late, I presume you are inquiring for breakfast / lunch the next day ?

BREAKFAST:

Tim Hortons at 48 Notre-Dame Est, just a short walk North of the hotel. Also Van Houtte just next door.

Starbucks at 480 St-Laurent Boul. just behind the hotel. Also Subway just next door.

LUNCH:

Creperie Suzette at #3 St-Paul Est. Down the street and to the right.

Giorgio at #12 St-Paul Est, a little further than the Creperie.

Arahova Souvlaki (next door to the above Subway). I really like Arahova.

DINNER (just in case)

Above mentioned Giorgio.

Above mentioned Creperie.

Les 3 Brasseurs at 105 St-Paul Est, down the street and turn left, go 2 blocks.

ANYTIME

McDonalds (24 hrs) at #1 Notre-Dame Ouest, up the street and to the left for 1.5 blocks.

All above suggestions are an EASY walk from the hotel.

:)

I hope you caught some nice fish.

Thanks for the dining suggestions. I am excited about booking the SpringHill suites and really appreciate your suggesting it. We are looking forward to having a whole day in Montreal before taking the bus to Quebec the next day.

Every one has been so helpful. THANKS

Virginia

• 1 month later...

We have bus tickets and hotel reservations, and now I'm trying to decide what to do on our day in Montreal. If we take the Caleche ride, will we need cash? Also, does the HOHO take credit cards? It doesn't matter, I just need to know how much CAD I need.

Does anyone have a suggestion that might be a little different? What makes Montreal different? Is there a food that is unique?

Thanks for all the help.

Virginia

We have bus tickets and hotel reservations' date=' and now I'm trying to decide what to do on our day in Montreal. If we take the Caleche ride, will we need cash? Also, does the HOHO take credit cards? It doesn't matter, I just need to know how much CAD I need.

Does anyone have a suggestion that might be a little different? What makes Montreal different? Is there a food that is unique?

Thanks for all the help.

Virginia[/quote']

I'd be very surprised if the HOHO can't take credit cards onboard, but you can definitely prebuy tickets online with CC. If you know you want to do it, this will either save you money or get you a second day of use free. No idea about the Caleche tours.

Foodwise, Montreal has the best bagels in the world - blood is spilled on a daily basis between fans of St Viateur and Fairmount as to which are best;-) Montreal Smoked Meat, especially the extra-fatty on rye from Schwartz' is also exceptional. While it's readily available all over Canada these days, Poutine is certainly a mostly-Quebecois thing, as are a few types of pies and cheeses.

My hands-down favourite restaurant in Montreal (actually, pretty much in whole dang world) is Au Pied de Cochon - assuming the vast amounts of fat & protein don't scare you off make a reso as far in advance as possible (months if you want a Saturday 7pm slot) and don't eat anything for at least eight hours before you dine. Prepare to roll home...

We have bus tickets and hotel reservations' date=' and now I'm trying to decide what to do on our day in Montreal. If we take the Caleche ride, will we need cash? Also, does the HOHO take credit cards? It doesn't matter, I just need to know how much CAD I need.

Thanks for all the help.

Virginia[/quote']

For the Calèche Ride, you will need cash. It's been a long time since I've taken a ride in one of those, price is probably around $75 or $80 for an hour ride.

You can get HoHo tickets in advance by Credit Card. I don't think they take the card right on the bus.

For 1 day, I would probably take $200 CDN.

You can visit Olympic Stadium and Botanical Gardens (need a cab ride to get there). You can rent BIXI bicycles and roam about quite a bit for real cheap (there is a previous post on this).

Food wise, you gotta try a Montreal smoked meat sandwich. I order it lean and easy on the mustard. Usually comes with fries, coleslaw and a pickle. Enjoy a cherry coke with it ! Also try Poutine (can be had as an upgrade over regular fries with your smoked meat). Some places even have Smoked Meat Poutine !

Enjoy your visit !

:)

Edited by p_mori7

:D:D you are talking to an Alabama gal. If it is eatable, we can fry it. ( we fry pickles and ice cream among other things). Your suggestions sound fantastic. I am glad to know I can get HOHO tickets online - that will save some time.

Thanks, Virginia

• 4 weeks later...
For taxis/restaurants or maybe Canada in general, can u give me an idea of tipping procedures.....how much??

Thanks

Steve & Marie;

Tipping guidelines are the same as USA. 15% in restaurants. For cab rides, I usually do about 10%...depending on the quality of service.

• 3 weeks later...
Our trip is only a month away' date=' and I was reviewing my notes on where to eat. Is there a place to get the smoked meat sandwiches near the SpringHill Suites? What is Poutine? Thanks for all the help.[/quote']

Poutine is french fries smothered in gravy & cheese curds

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Poutine.JPG

Edited by LHT28

Our trip is only a month away' date=' and I was reviewing my notes on where to eat. Is there a place to get the smoked meat sandwiches near the SpringHill Suites? What is Poutine? Thanks for all the help.[/quote']

This restaurant is said to be the best smoke meat place in Montreal...even Canada !! Many famous stars like the Rolling Stones, U2, etc... ate there.

http://m.schwartzsdeli.com/#2842

It's about 1 1/2 mile from your hotel.

Poutine is great when it's done right. All fast food place offer poutine. Many high end restaurant offer their top of the line versions...

You will be close to The 3 Brewers in old Port, craft beer, poutine, burgers, etc... That could be an option.

http://les3brasseurs.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by sebas030

Seabas030, your English is great! We won't discuss my French, but I seemed to tell a lot of jokes because everyone in Paris was laughing.:D I hope we can go to Schwartzsdeli because it sounds fabulous. Do we need reservations or can we try going at an odd time? What do you suggest?

Seabas030' date=' your English is great! We won't discuss my French, but I seemed to tell a lot of jokes because everyone in Paris was laughing.:D I hope we can go to Schwartzsdeli because it sounds fabulous. Do we need reservations or can we try going at an odd time? What do you suggest?[/quote']

Thank you !

No reservation at Schwartzs, there can be a very long queue at the usual busy hours of lunch and dinner. Going at "odd" hours is your best bet to save some time.

It is known for it's picnic table style of seating. So expect to eat close to someone you won't know.

And do not worry about your french, everything in the old Port/downtown/St-Laurent street is either bilingual or even unilingual...in english...

This restaurant is said to be the best smoke meat place in Montreal...even Canada !! Many famous stars like the Rolling Stones, U2, etc... ate there.

Any places closer to the hotel with decent smoked meat ??

I do not have to eat where the movie stars eat :D

Thanks

Any places closer to the hotel with decent smoked meat ??

I do not have to eat where the movie stars eat :D

Thanks

It's really not an upscale restaurant...it's just the best one.

And being about a mile and a half of the best one in town...and possibly of the country is really not that much of a detour.

But, that being said, most of the "greasy spoon" places will offer smoked meat...just make sure you ask for a "lean" one...or else you will end up with fat on you meat ( tasty, but fatty ;) ).

It's really not an upscale restaurant...it's just the best one.

Years ago when I lived in Toronto there was a small hole in the wall place that had the best smoked meat around

That is the type of place I was looking for .....maybe close to the hotel

with in a short walk

Maybe someone has some suggestions ???

Lyn

Schwartz's Deli is a hole in the wall place...it's tiny...it's crowded...there are panhandlers on the sidewalk looking for a handout (but they are not bothersome)...

deli.jpg

Let's just say the place has lots of Character & Characters :D

It also has THE BEST SMOKED MEAT IN TOWN. Period.

http://schwartzsdeli.com/ca/en/

Edited by p_mori7