Anything Montreal

sebas030

Is there any cruise line, other than Carnival, that sails to/from Montreal? We liked RCL and I believe they sail out of Quebec City only. Is it possible to take a bus from Quebec City to Montreal, which would probably be quite a bit cheaper than the train? Recommendations for a one night stay in Quebec City and Montreal? Trish

As far as I know, Carnival does not visit Montreal, thier ships are all too big to fit under the bridges near Quebec City.

Here are the cruise lines that I do know visit and/or have departures in Montreal:

- Holland America Line "Maasdam"

- Silversea "Silver Whisper"

- Oceana "Regatta" & "Marina"

- Regent Seven Seas "Navigator"

- Crystal Cruises "Symphony"

The larger ships from Carnival, RCL, Princess do visit Quebec City.

It is possible to take a coach bus from Quebec City to Montreal, there are departures usually every hour or so...and the fare is economical...there is also plenty of room for luggage.

As far as hotel recommendations, "The" place to stay in Quebec City is the Chateau Frontenac...but it also one of the pricier places to stay...

Montreal has many many hotels...and any recommendation would be based on what you want to see/do...if you are interested mainly in Old Montreal (near the pier), the best places would be:

Auberge du Vieux Port

Springhill Suites Old Montreal

Le Place d'Armes Hotel & Suites

(and there are many more choices...)

Is there any cruise line, other than Carnival, that sails to/from Montreal? We liked RCL and I believe they sail out of Quebec City only. Is it possible to take a bus from Quebec City to Montreal, which would probably be quite a bit cheaper than the train? Recommendations for a one night stay in Quebec City and Montreal? Trish

Carnival has never, to my knowledge, sailed the St. Lawrence route, either to Quebec or Montreal. HAL is however a big player in the market, being the only line sailing throughout the summer.

If purchased in advance, the train will be slightly cheaper than the bus. Both arrive at the same station.

We recently took Seabourn (Pricey but all was included so in the end pretty equal with the other lines) from Boston north and around the Bay of Fundy and down the St Lawrence ending in Montreal. Beautiful trip.

When you say "all was included", does that mean your cocktails AND gratuities? We've talked about splurging on that cruise line, along with Oceania, but the cost has kept us from trying the line since we are Diamond on RCL and Elite on Celebrity making those lovely evening complimentary cocktails enticing! Thanks so much for your imput...do love the postings on all different subjects. Trish

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We have booked a cruise from Quebec City. Our plans are to fly into Toronto and spend a couple of days, then onto Montreal (via train) and spend a couple of days and then onto Quebec City (via train).

I have looked at the webpage for ViaRail Canada and it states that checked baggage is not allowed on several of the trains. I have not been able to determine which trains allow checked baggage and this is a service that we will need as our luggage will definitely be too large to carry on.

Do you have any idea as to which trains do allow checked baggage. I would hate to miss out on these cities because I cannot check my luggage on a train and I do not want to catch a flight between each of the cities.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on this issue

S_Cruiser:

I'm afraid I am not familiar enough with baggage procedures on Via Rail trains to be able to give you advice on which trains you should or should not take :(

My best suggestion would be for you to call Via Rail and let them know what itinerary you would like to do, and that you need to check some baggage.

VIA RAIL:

1-888-VIA-RAIL (842-7245)

514-989-2626

:)

Departing Toronto, Train 64 at 11:30 allows checked baggage.

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/winter2014/Timetable2014_HIVER_14-15.pdf

Between Montreal and Quebec City all of the trains allow checked baggage.

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/winter2014/Timetable2014_HIVER_06-07.pdf

Hope this helps.

Did some checking around for you

As mentioned by Liftlock

11:30 Via train from Toronto to Montreal - $70 pp - 5.5 hrs

& it has a baggage car - 2 bags pp @ 23kg/50lbs each bag + carry on

Montreal to Quebec City - be careful - check when you get in MTL - classed as carry on only - 2 bags pp - $70 pp - 3.5 hrs

Alternative - Bus - Toronto Coach Station on Bay St

Tor to Mtl - - $30 pp - 2 checked baggage each + carry on - 6 hrs

Mtl to QC - - $57 pp - 2 checked bags each + carry on

Hope this helps but you didn't give me any dates - weekends vary

Good Luck - Tom - Ancaster Ontario

This is hopefully a silly question, but just in case OP - did you check what VIA actually defines as carry on sized luggage? Option 2 allows a pretty big case plus a generously-sized backpack/small suitcase... admittedly not as generous as Amtrak carry-ons, but comparable to many airline standards.

Even if you do need to check your baggage, I believe the Summer schedule adds additional trains daily Toronto-Montreal with a baggage car - if memory serves there were 2 or 3 trains daily last summer, as more folks use the route for vacation purposes in the nicer weather.

Not sure where your info came from Eternal City, but the VIA schedule clearly shows a baggage car on every single train Montreal-Quebec except the 22 at 9am (and even that adds the car on weekends).

Worst case, you're travelling by the winter schedule, you'll just have to book the 64 at 11:30am out of Toronto as LLC already said. You'll still be in Montreal in plenty of time to check in to your hotel before dinner.

Thanks to all that have responded to my question. I have sent an email directly to ViaRail. Perhaps I have been reading the schedules wrong and didn't see where there was checked baggage. I do appreciate your help and do look forward to visiting the 3 cities mentioned.

Thanks to all that have responded to my question. I have sent an email directly to ViaRail. Perhaps I have been reading the schedules wrong and didn't see where there was checked baggage. I do appreciate your help and do look forward to visiting the 3 cities mentioned.

Hello again. On the schedules I posted, look for the "luggage " icon above the train number. At the bottom there is a legend that illustrates what the icon looks like and a description of the service.

• 3 weeks later...
I will try to not break any rules this time.

I am a 41 years old cruise addict and I live in Montreal...I have been living here all my life.

I would love to help any cruise addict, like myself, who are coming to Montreal and give you pointers about the city.

Feel free to ask and I will try to help you have a great time.

talk to you later !!

Sebastien

Hello Sebastien ,

We are group of 6 friends taking cruise on Hollenamerica in June from Boston to Montreal. we will be ending our cruise in Montreal on June 14, 2014.

We are renting a car from Budjet car located in YUL airport. They are not pickup us from port. So we have to make arrangement ourselves

to pick up the car.

We are thinking just two of us go & pick up the car.

Do you know how much will it cost us to take taxi from cruise port to Airport?

Do you any suggestion to take like Bus or Train to go Airport?

What do you suggest we should do?

Thank you very much.

Hema

S_Cruiser:

I'm afraid I am not familiar enough with baggage procedures on Via Rail trains to be able to give you advice on which trains you should or should not take :(

My best suggestion would be for you to call Via Rail and let them know what itinerary you would like to do, and that you need to check some baggage.

VIA RAIL:

1-888-VIA-RAIL (842-7245)

514-989-2626

Hello p mori7,

We are group of 6 friends taking cruise on Hollenamerica in June from Boston to Montreal. we will be ending our cruise in Montreal on June 14, 2014.

We are renting a car from Budjet car located in YUL airport. They are not pickup us from port. So we have to make arrangement ourselves

to pick up the car.

Thank you very much.

Hema

Hello p mori7,

to pick up the car.

Thank you very much.

Hema

Hi there!

Is there any reason you are getting the car from the airport? My guess would be that you are leaving Montreal by plane after your stay in Montreal?

Where would you be staying in Montreal? This could help us for the travel.

Anyway, taxi to MTL port to Airport is estimated to 42$ on http://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Montreal if you get from "vieux montreal" to "YUL"

There is a bus that is also running 24/7 to the YUL Airport from Montreal main metro station "Berri-UQAM" or many other stops. Price is 10$ for a day pass(This will give you access to montreal bus/metro for the day) but you would have to get to the metro or a bus stop anyway from the port..

Depending where your hotel is located.. I would take a cab. Split the price in 6.. maybe 8$ each.

more info for the 747(downtown/airport) bus: http://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/planibus/en/747.pdf

Hi there!

Is there any reason you are getting the car from the airport? My guess would be that you are leaving Montreal by plane after your stay in Montreal?

Where would you be staying in Montreal? This could help us for the travel.

Anyway, taxi to MTL port to Airport is estimated to 42$ on http://www.numbeo.com/taxi-fare/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Montreal if you get from "vieux montreal" to "YUL"

There is a bus that is also running 24/7 to the YUL Airport from Montreal main metro station "Berri-UQAM" or many other stops. Price is 10$ for a day pass(This will give you access to montreal bus/metro for the day) but you would have to get to the metro or a bus stop anyway from the port..

Depending where your hotel is located.. I would take a cab. Split the price in 6.. maybe 8$ each.

more info for the 747(downtown/airport) bus: http://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/planibus/en/747.pdf

Hello DroxX3rZ,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

We have booked hotel in Laval for 2 days. Renting the car from Downtown and return the car at airport will cost us $50:00 more. So we decided to rent from Airport.

We group of 6 friends and each of has one big suitcase and one carryon.

Thats why we decided that two of go and pickup the car. After they pickup the car then they will comback again to pier to pickup rest of us. Then we will all go to our Hotel.

So if you have any suggestion for how to go from pier to airport, please let us know.

Hema

Hello DroxX3rZ,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

We have booked hotel in Laval for 2 days. Renting the car from Downtown and return the car at airport will cost us $50:00 more. So we decided to rent from Airport.

We group of 6 friends and each of has one big suitcase and one carryon.

Thats why we decided that two of go and pickup the car. After they pickup the car then they will comback again to pier to pickup rest of us. Then we will all go to our Hotel.

So if you have any suggestion for how to go from pier to airport, please let us know.

Hema

Wow, You sure do like to travel a lot... I don't know what activities you are planning in Montreal but there is a lot of travelling involved in your first day. Are you getting 1 car for the 6? Like a truck?

Anyway, cheapest way.. the bus.

I have no idea where your boat will drop you so I have put the IMAX cinema in the old port for reference, which is near the port. its a 55 minutes travel.

On foot

Walk 282m to Saint-Laurent / Saint-Jacques

Walk northbound on Saint-Jean-Baptis te.

min

Bus 55

Take 55 Saint-Laurent Boulevard dir. Nord

to Saint-Laurent / René-Lévesque

min

Bus 747

Take 747 Aéroport P-E-Trudeau/Centre-Ville dir. Ouest

to Aéroport International Montréal-Trudeau

min

NOTE: Doing this you will have to pay the bus 2 TIMES. First on the 55, 3$ IN COIN (NO PAPER MONEY ACCEPTED)

Then on the 747 10$ IN COIN (This will give you access to the bus/metro for the rest of the day)

Total 13$/pp

--------------------

So 55 minutes to go to the airport, 30 min to get your car. around 40 minutes coming back to the port. Another 30-45 minutes to get to Laval (depending which part of Laval you are going..)

Hello Sebastien ,

to pick up the car.

Thank you very much.

Hema

Sebastien hasn't been answering for a long while now...

I'd change your booking to the much-nearer Budget location if you absolutely must use Budget. It's a little over 1 mile to walk - they may have a shuttle or reimburse cab fare to the location. There are also several other major chains nearby - Enterprise (who will come and get you), Thrifty (closest, only 10 minutes walk), Hertz etc.

Even though you say there's a $50 dropoff fee, your cab fare plus tip will eat that up and waste up to an hour. Taking the 747 bus as suggested is the only way you'll save money ($30 if two of you pay for the bus), but you'll still waste a lot of time.

If the timing is more flexible, you could also avoid the dropoff fee by taking the car back to the downtown location after dropping everyone else at the airport then doing the bus or cab yourself at the end of your time in Montreal instead of the beginning - this way you may be able to avoid rushhour traffic too...

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I think I am going to change my reservation to Downtown location. It will save us lot of time and headache.

Hema

Hello Hema;

I just saw your recent posts this morning.

Looks like the others gave you some good advice, and happy to see that you made better plans.

Enjoy your visit to Montreal !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are any of you familiar with the Orleans Express bus from Quebec City to Montreal? Looks like a pretty nice alternative to the train, and the Montreal station should be fairly close to our hotel, the Nelligan.

We had originally wanted to take the train to Montreal following our late September cruise. However, upon looking at the schedule and doing a pretend booking, I find that there is NO checked baggage :eek: on the 7:45 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. trains. Seems incredible to me, with all the September/October cruises ending in Quebec City, but at least there's the bus.

The ORLEANS EXPRESS bus is a good way to travel between Québec & Montreal. Plenty of luggage room under the coach. Comfortable seats. WiFI on board. CHEAP !

Plan on taking a cab to the Nelligan from the Central bus station, it will probably run you about $10 ~ $15.

Edited by p_mori7

The ORLEANS EXPRESS bus is a good way to travel between Québec & Montreal. Plenty of luggage room under the coach. Comfortable seats. WiFI on board. CHEAP !

Plan on taking a cab to the Nelligan from the Central bus station, it will probably run you about $10 ~ $15.

SOLD! :) Thank you. One less thing on my to-do list.