Cost of Cruise went down-but not for us

lsok

Hi Judy- I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but I'm 6'3 and even I would not endure a 5 hour layover in order to Snag economy comfort on Delta. The difference from Economy is so negligible that I don't think that I would bother with it again, period.

Hi Jim and Stan,

We have been in EC before on international flights and we felt like it was worth it. However, that being said, we have never flown Business Class and don't have that to compare it to! :). In addition to the 50% more recline, we like the priority boarding and the free drinks! :D: The priority boarding perk is especially nice now that so many more people are taking on a carry-on to avoid baggage checking fees. It was becoming more and more difficult to find a place for your luggage!

However in cruises over the past 30 years, I have with 2 exceptions ( the first2) I have always booked cruises with an agent. I agree too that the ship line never want to undersell their agents. Why? Well they are non salaried commission only sales people that cost nothing except when they produce. Underselling a "free" agent is against you own selfish best interest..it in effect gives you a staff of hundreds in not thousands of no cost representatives. That is how I see the vast majority of cruise lines working today.

For me it is non productive to book your self direct. Cruises are big ticket purchases many times well over $10 to 30 K. pp, An agent has discretion to reduce some of the fare by reducing commission and by passing along other perks he receives on such large sales. Some agents are more generous than others, however, all are more generous than would be the company, or so I have found. The only problem is that when you assign your cruise to or through an agent , then by contract you must go through the agent. Trying to have an agent and work with the cruise line is a path to futility and frustration.

As to airlines, when they used to pay commissions then an agent was important. Sales mostly under $1000. However, today that situation does not exist as it did agents cruise or travel make nothing in comparison so their is little if any energy or motivation to go the extra mile..

Thus, I find that doing ones air directly with the airline is far more productive. It is the same with hotels and tours.

The exception is when one gets an inclusive air trip as part of the cruise fare and it is thousands cheaper than what you could get then I forget any bumps in the road because I am being more than compensated for any inconvenience. If I am getting a $2400 ticket for $450 That is in and of its self the reward.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked to go on Marina in August 2013 and paid our final payment last week. I had a flyer through the post from Oceania with offers on several cruises for 2013. My cruise being one of them and it states that Penthouse Suite start from £300 cheaper than I paid for mine. As all 3 grades of Penthouse suites were the same price on this cruise. I contacted my TA who came back with "I have spoken to Oceania: they advise me that all Penthouse Suites have now been sold. Whilst we are unable to check the current price they have advised me that they do not believe that your grade of Penthouse was offered for a price £300 lower than you paid" I then scanned him the flyer I received from Oceania and e-mailed it to my TA but to date have not had a reply. Before I chase him up I would like to know do I have a right to expect a refund for the difference in the offer from the flyer to what I paid last week.

do I have a right to expect a refund for the difference in the offer from the flyer to what I paid last week.

Did the flyer state for "new bookings only"?

No mention of new bookings, only a general sales flyer promoting their Northern European Cruises.

That would tick me off as well...we usually book 18 mths out

I know they discount the prices close to sailing that is understandable but when the final payment day has just past ..no fair

I know the mass market lines do that all the time ...another reason i do not sail with them;)

Hope you can get the discount

Lyn

Just had a reply from my TA and Oceania will not honour the price drop as he states that "the price agreed at point of booking will generally be the price paid with few exceptions".

I think this is very unprofessional to have a price drop after final payment date and then not honour it for existing bookings who booked well in advance.

It makes you wonder whether its best to wait for last minute bookings and if everyone did this then the cruise lines would be worried if they would fill their ships.

He failed to reply to my question where does it say new bookings only on the flyer.

I wonder what the legal side of this would be as I read a few weeks back that if an airline price reduces before you fly and you notify them then they will refund you the difference.

The price drops after final payment in attempts to fill empty cabins. For awhile, many cruise lines honored the price drop in the form of a shipboard credit or upgrade when that occurred, but I do not find that happening too often. If the ship were to refund everybody who booked the amount they dropped the price, they would lose quite a bit of money and would probably be better off leaving those cabins empty. It comes down to the bottom line.

I have friends who always wait til the last minute, hoping for price drops - sometimes they are lucky, but more often than not, the ships are full and if anything, prices go up and not down. Depends on how much of a gambler you want to be.

If the ship were to refund everybody who booked the amount they dropped the price, they would lose quite a bit of money and would probably be better off leaving those cabins empty. It comes down to the bottom line.

I agree with you on the above comment but like with the airlines you have to find the lower price and contact them, whereas they don't give a blanket refund to everyone. i guess as always the consumer loses out and big business wins.

Archived