Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

tipsygirl ~ mind if I ask the price of Viking Bordeaux transfer?? We're doing our own air and hope to book next week - meeting then with friends who are also taking cruise.

roebud ~ DH says he's happy you like the Bordeaux wine site - he's the one who found it - but suggests its more fun to "study" the wine by drink it!! LOL! Of course that's the reason we're all going on this cruise!!! He also enjoys the app "Viviano" on his IPhone - he takes a photo of the label and it lists all sorts of info about the wine. He can also "store" his collection of wine on it. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

pacmom ~ thanks for the top about Libourne - hope we have some time to check out the quay - sounds interesting!!!

Pat....I also thank you for the info on Libourne. Wish Viking had optional tour available early for those of us who love to plan early.

Peg...DH downloaded the Vivino app and he is taking pics of some wines in the cellar. Wish we were on the same cruise, the DH's would have a good time playing with the app.

Rose

tipsygirl ~ mind if I ask the price of Viking Bordeaux transfer?? We're doing our own air and hope to book next week - meeting then with friends who are also taking cruise.

roebud ~ DH says he's happy you like the Bordeaux wine site - he's the one who found it - but suggests its more fun to "study" the wine by drink it!! LOL! Of course that's the reason we're all going on this cruise!!! He also enjoys the app "Viviano" on his IPhone - he takes a photo of the label and it lists all sorts of info about the wine. He can also "store" his collection of wine on it. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

pacmom ~ thanks for the top about Libourne - hope we have some time to check out the quay - sounds interesting!!!

RE transfers from Bordeaux cruise dock to the airport, the cost is $60 pp. Have paid the same for a transfer of a similar distance on a Crystal ocean voyage, but also half that amount on an AMA river cruise for a similar transfer….so cost is in the hands of the cruise line. FYI: I have read on Trip Adviser that Taxis to and from the airport to central Bordeaux are 50 + euros after several add ons, even though the airport website quotes 20 - 30 euros, and we are a little away from city center.

Also have the impression that it is somewhat different to navigate Bordeaux than Paris if you don't have at least some survival French. With these things in mind, and with the need to be at the airport by 6:00 a.m., we elected the greater security of the Viking transfer.

Enjoying the comments and hints from this thread.

tipsygirl ~ thanks much for the info - good to know as we plan! Hope transfers will be available for our cruise also. For our last cruise, because of the time of year, we purchased our air through Viking so transfers were included. It was great leaving the ship in Amsterdam, just walked to the bus, verifying our luggage, and never touching it until the airport!!!

roebud ~ glad DH is enjoying Vivino!!! Yes, traveling with fellow wine-lovers is lots of fun!! But with this itinerary I'm sure you'll find some on your cruise!! And we'll have the advantage of hearing about all the CCer experiences ~ so please come back and report on everything!!!!

I believe someone in this thread had asked about the location of the dock for the Forseti in Bordeaux. Viking emailed me this info. The links connects you to a map of Bordeaux with the dock marked.

Quai des Chartrons- Port location in Bordeaux

https://maps.google.com/maps q=Quai+des+Chartrons,+Bordeaux,+France&hl=en&sll=37.269174,-119.306607&sspn=12.649462,19.665527&oq=Quai+des+Chartrons,+&t=h&hnea

Edited by tipsygirl
When checking this post it looked like the entire web address did not copy. Let me know if you cannot access.

We always wanted to go to Paris, we plan to do all of the expected things and hopefully get back some day to dig a little deeper. That said my impression of the "Loire Valley" extension was that it would be similar to some of what we would be seeing on the cruise. I did not give it much consideration however and will take another look.

We have done 2 trips on our own touring the Loire Valley, both in May, and if you are concerned about the heat in July, remember that the primary attraction there is exploring these beautiful chateaux, most built in the 15th and 16th centuries, so of course not air conditioned. In July, they would surely be very crowded, and

Imho, it could be very hot ,and a bit overwhelming, especially with the lack of much ventilation and the heavy tapestries and heavy furnishings.

Many of the nicest chateaux/hotels to stay in are not air conditioned.

Paris is wonderful any time, again imho!!!

Robin

Edited by robinlynn
signature

Maliboo....Looked on Google maps and it looks like it is not too far from the dock. Apparently the dock is not far from the Bordeaux Museum according to a Viking rep I spoke with.

tipsygirl....I tried to copy and paste that link but it didn't bring up anything. Maybe I missed something :confused:

Maliboo, I am reposting the link to the map with the ships dock here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Quai+des+Chartrons,+Bordeaux,+France&hl=en&sll=37.269174,-119.306607&sspn=12.649462,19.665527&oq=Quai+des+Chartrons,+&t=h&hnear=Quai+des+Chartrons,+Bordeaux,+France&z=15

Roebud- I am looking a a map that I downloaded from the Bordeaux Tourist office that provides 4 walking itineraries for the city. Looks like Esplanade des Quinconces (Near the Tourist Office) is just a short walk from the Boat Dock in one direction, and the the wine museum is a short walk in another direction.

For all…check out the Bordeaux Tourist office website. Lot's of information,maps, walking/tasting tours. If you haven't had enough of wine tours by the end of the cruise the Tourist Office has info on tours to every chateaux in the area that you can arrange on your own by car, or book with a multitude of tour operators. Could also take advantage of some of these during the cruise if you want to do your own thing. Trip Adviser also has reviews on a number of these tour operators.

The map I referenced above is accompanied by narratives of each of the 4 walking tours describing the many sites to see in Bordeaux and their locations..all downloadable from the website.

Thanks. I'll check out the tourist office website. I got a guide from the library and was looking at the things I'd like to see such as the Museum of Decorative Arts but the guide was sketchy as to distances.

It's just that I have arthritis in my feet, and elsewhere, and like to know in advance how far I will have to walk so I can prepare.

I also have used Google maps. In many instances, they give distances at Bordeaux in little m's. I sure hope they mean metres not miles.LOL.

Just checked the Viking website and there is new information on the Bordeaux cruise. if you look in the Your Trip section and select Transfers and Port Locations, Bordeaux has been added to the list, and a map is included with the dock location. I am hoping this means that the itinerary brochure for the cruise with more details on included and optional excursions will also appear shortly in the Itineraries and Departures Information area of the Your Trip section. I'll be checking.

Maliboo, RE arthritic feet…a problem I have also. I have found a great walking shoe for shore excursions. They are by New Balance and the shoe is called Wellness, # WW895BK2. Have great arch support. Thetr are"bubbles all across the soles that make you feel like you are walking on little pillows. Got them through Zappos.com. They even come in narrows, and are actually cute.

@ Tipsygirl,

The shoes are not to be had. Zappos replaced your model with a new one but that shoe is only available in my size in army green/purple. Yuck! I am on various lists because NB new models come out in the spring. So, maybe before my trip I'll get lucky. Thanks for the tip.

PS: I couldn't even get them in the store.

This is my first cruise, ever. I need guidelines for tipping staff on the boat and for the bar when I purchase an adult beverage.

Also, does anyone know if you can buy a cheap, "burner phone" like the bad guys use for when we are in France? this would just be for security purposes in case we end up in the wrong city.

thank you.

Hi Maliboo -

Can't help with the phone - we just have Verizon add a month of international serive to DH's iphones - cost and plan depends on country you visit.

But tipping: Viking has guide lines on their site under "your trip" - just in case this link doesn't work ~ Tipping - Viking River Cruises.

For the ship personel they make it very easy - you can add the tips to your bill so they get paid via credit card. They'll also have envelopes available toweards the end of the cruise is you wish to tip in cash or give an additional tip to anyone. For example the tip for "onboard staff" is shared by everyone so we usually give something extra to our room steward and DH always gives a seperate envelope to "his" bartender.

Guides and dirivers are given tips each day since you probably won't be seeing them again. That means you'll need the coins handy - required some planning for us!! Every time I bought something with cash I'd make sure I put the 1 & 2 euro aside!! Also we've exchanged bills at the Viking reception desk for coins for tipping!!

Hope this helps - have a fabulous trip!!! And please, please, please come back and share all your experiences with us all who will be traveling after you!! Tell us ALL about the excursions, optionals, Bordeaux, all the ports - everything!!!!! It's SO frustrating that this is Viking's first season so we have no past CC passengers to learn from!!!!

indianrider ~ this is a new 2014 itinerary for Viking - first cruise is scheduled for March 22nd! One or two other cruise lines also travel this route - not sure which ones.

This is one reason many of are really really curious and anxious to hear about particilars!!! We're set to go - no matter what - but just can't wait to learn from those ahead of us!!!

This is a new cruise for Viking. No one has taken it yet. We go in May but I did see one person going in April. Many cruisers have mentioned that they are anxiously awaiting trip reports from the early cruisers as am I. I know I plan on taking a lot of notes so I can be helpful.

We will sailing on April 12 on this cruise. As reported the maiden trip is March 22 and we will be the #4 sail. I hope all the wrinkles will be ironed out by our departure. Upon our return I will file a report. Both the wife & I are very anxious for the trip and the pleasure of sailing on the new longship FORSETI.

Sorry, I thought this cruise was in effect in 2013. This should be exciting for all of us going this year. Like I said, my wife and I are going on the Sep 6th sailing date. Looking forward to hearing from all of your trips on the Forseti.

Happy cruising!

indianriver ~ sorry - not on your cruise - we sail Oct 4th - but if you're not sailing until the fall then kept coming back here - and all the RC boards - to see what the earlier passengers have to report! We've gotten lots of info already about the port location and optional tours! And last December we sailed on Forseti's sister ship the Rinda, so can help answer with ship question.

Come back often!! And have fun planning and have a fabulous trip!!!!