Hello

gskimmel

After a year casually lurking here, I finally made the plunge and booked our first Oceania cruise. It is nearly 18 months away so I will become a frequent visitor here learning all about Oceania. I booked an A2 category aft cabin for the 7 night Caribbean cruise leaving from San Juan. We will be on the Insignia, which I understand is an Oceania ship that was previously rented out? Not sure if I understood what the Oceania rep was saying. I guess as time progresses I will learn to understand. :)

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi to everyone.

After a year casually lurking here, I finally made the plunge and booked our first Oceania cruise. It is nearly 18 months away so I will become a frequent visitor here learning all about Oceania. I booked an A2 category aft cabin for the 7 night Caribbean cruise leaving from San Juan. We will be on the Insignia, which I understand is an Oceania ship that was previously rented out? Not sure if I understood what the Oceania rep was saying. I guess as time progresses I will learn to understand. :)

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Hi back!

Yes, Insignia is one of the original "R" ships from Renaissance (originally the R1 -- Regatta was R2 and Nautica was R5). She was chartered out for two years and is coming back to the fleet. Regatta, Insignia and Nautica are basically identical, as as are Marina and Riviera (although the latter two may have more differences, even if minor, because after Marina came out and while Riviera was being built some changes were made).

For me, when I'm on one of the "R" ships I really cannot tell the difference.

I'm sure you'll love your cruise!

Mura

Although it took them some time to get the three ships up and running, the "original" Oceania Fleet consisted of three virtually identical vessels, the Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, which had all begun life as part of Renaissance Cruises which is now defunct.

oceaniacruises.jpg

At just over thirty thousand tons, these ships fall on the small side of what is today considered a "medium sized" Cruise Ship, and each carries about 684 passengers on a double occupancy basis.

marina--riviera-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

In 2011 and 2012, when Oceania expanded by building a pair of much larger ships, the Insignia was chartered to a German cruise concern known as Hapag Lloyd which was anxious to expand its' presence in the luxury cruise market.

Columbus_2_2012-06-18.jpginsignia-hdr.jpg

Insignia is presently sailing as their Columbus 2, but her return to the Oceania Fleet following the charter has already been announced, and the refit that she gets when she is "Re-Oceania-ized" is supposed to bring some exciting improvements.

Although it took them some time to get the three ships up and running, the "original" Oceania Fleet consisted of three virtually identical vessels, the Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, which had all begun life as part of Renaissance Cruises which is now defunct.

oceaniacruises.jpg

At just over thirty thousand tons, these ships fall on the small side of what is today considered a "medium sized" Cruise Ship, and each carries about 684 passengers on a double occupancy basis.

marina--riviera-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67cdb10c81

In 2011 and 2012, when Oceania expanded by building a pair of much larger ships, the Insignia was chartered to a German cruise concern known as Hapag Lloyd which was anxious to expand its' presence in the luxury cruise market.

Columbus_2_2012-06-18.jpginsignia-hdr.jpg

Insignia is presently sailing as their Columbus 2, but her return to the Oceania Fleet following the charter has already been announced, and the refit that she gets when she is "Re-Oceania-ized" is supposed to bring some exciting improvements.

Great summary, guys. Don't forget the two R ships that Princess runs (now called Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess). Still great ships but not as updated as the O versions.

Great summary, guys. Don't forget the two R ships that Princess runs (now called Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess). Still great ships but not as updated as the O versions.

Plus, the former Princess ship that is now with P & O (Adonia), and the two Azamara ships, Journey and Quest. The latter two were not precisely identical to the other 6 "R" ships; their deck 8 had no penthouse-size suites, and were remodeled by Azamara to include a half deck of Club Continent suites.

Archived