Please give advice/tips on safety (against theft) in Europe, esp Italy

Kidsoftheseas

This is really easy...purchase a travel book on Italy. The hottest seller is Rick Steve's. He lists every potential hazard of Italy. ;)

LOL. True. Just read the book and avoid every place he recommends ;)

I still laugh at one instance I have at a restaurant in Venice. We happened on it just wandering around, kind of off the tourist track. We got there, and had a good meal. BUT, there were several couples and families in this small place with us and they were all looking at their Rick Steves' book!!! I never even looked at a RS book until 2010, when I did a trip with some friends who planned everything by the RS book...

I think his advice is very worthwhile but I read it at home. I remember about 15 years ago walking the streets in Rothenburg, Germany and seeing so many Americans with their RS books in their noses as they walked around. I thought it was quite funny. An American stopped my blonde daughter thinking she was a German student who knew English and could help them out. Still love Rick, though!

BTW- some of those grandmas who have those huge head scarves to hide their faces and are sitting on the streets begging are actually young women or even men. I noticed one "mangled and deformed arm" looked more like a prosthetic device rather than a real arm.

It is hard to look like you are a local in a country where most of the people have darker features and you are blonde and blue eyes. I can't really blend in but try to be smart and have never had a problem or been a victim in Europe or the US.

I love to travel in Europe. Usually on my own. Before they had Scottee-vests, I used to make my own travel vests. Normal pattern, but special insides. Pockets sized for airline tickets, passports, credit cards, etc.

Since I would be on my own, I would not be talking with companions. I always took it as flattery when the tourist employees at sites would not know in which language to address me.

As an American who has lived in Europe with two kids (now teens) for the past almost 5 years, and traveled extensively, I'll add my two cents. It's just my personal take on things as one family who has never been pickpocketed or had our laptops, etc stolen (except one time when DH was on bussiness and about 30 guys had their laptops taken at the same time).

1. We have never had an issue with leaving valuables (laptops, iPADS, kindles, passports) in the hotels. We usually shove them into one (or more) suitcases and lock the case and then store that wherever we would anyway. It would be noticed if hotel staff were to try to take a suitcase out of a room, cutting way down on the odds of theft (note: my husband does this on work travel too--he is on the road 80% of the time; never has had anything taken from the room).

2. We do not carry passports with us when we could leave them at a hotel. You do not need to exchange money IN a bank (and therefore carry a passport around). The best way to get smaller amounts of cash is to use your ATM card (check with your bank before you leave to be sure you can use it here, find out fees, etc). We generally carry about what we expect to need in cash (using a CC whenever possible) and know we can get more if we run out or have an emergency. WE divide the cash up between both adults and also give some to each kid, so we are highly unlikely to end up with it all being stolen.

3. We often carry iPADs and/or iPODS or phones with us. DD wears a backpack. She zip ties the zippers closed in cities like Barcelona or Naples and uses a small fingernail clipper from her pocket to open it when needed (she carries extra zip ties inside to reclose). She always wears it on BOTH shoulders--making it hard to grab off of her. The rest of us prefer to use a messenger style bag, slung crosswise if in a high theft area, and with teh bag in front of us.

4. My own opinion is that thieves are well aware of what Scot vests or the "theft proof" style bags look like. They know the brands, fabrics and styles and carrying them only screams "I have a lot of valuables to protect!" I will not carry one.

5. When going to crowded places (anywhere where people are close enough to touch you easily) in high theft areas (public transit in pretty much anywhere in Italy or Spain or tourist cities of France, or the Vatican museums, for example)--men carry wallets in front pocket, with either the pocket buttoned closed (if possible) and hand resting over it at all times, or hand in pocket and holding the wallet. I carry a small, wristlet stlye purse with cash, credit cards, etc). I keep the strap around my wrist and the purse clutched in my hand at all times.

6. Other than the risk posed by the erratic traffic in some areas (Naples being the BIG one) I am not sure what risk you think your children are under? Pickpocketing is big, but honestly they are probably at less risk of any kind of violent crime or kidnapping than they are with you in the US. Depending on their ages, you might need to brief them on how to avoid pickpockets and/or not to be frightened by the women trying to push roses on you, etc (and not to take those things) but that is really about all.

7. Really big cameras are a pain in the backside, and not worth it 99% of the time. You are travelling with kids so you are not going to have time to set up some incredible shots that might make carrying a big camera and lens worth it. Get a good quality digital point and shoot that can fit in that front pocket with a wallet, or be looped around a wrist and help in your hand same as a the small purse.

The simple version of the above is my teen daughter's mantra:

"If you are not the most obvious target (look like you have valuables to hide--ie those special vest and bags) or the easiest target, then you probably won't end up being a target."

The simple version of the above is my teen daughter's mantra:

"If you are not the most obvious target (look like you have valuables to hide--ie those special vest and bags) or the easiest target, then you probably won't end up being a target."

Word. You have a very wise daughter.

Archived