Share 29 Sept 13 Transport London to Southampton

We are interested in sharing transportation from London to Southampton on 29 September. We will be staying near Paddington Station.

I can book Woodford Chauffeurs for 170GBP but we will need to share if we are doing that. They are a very good service, we've used them before when we traveled with friends.

We are on the Oct 6 Eclipse sailing but are flying to Nantes from Southampton on Sept 29. We will be in London before for a few days. We DON'T want to take the bus or train. We are interested in sharing a ride from the hotel to the airport/cruise port. I've posted it on our roll call I think, but it is highly unlikely that anyone will want to arrive in Southampton so far in advance.

Anyone interested? You can e-mail me at ebappel at yahoo dot com if you would like, or respond directly here.

Thanks for considering!:D

Try posting on the RollCalls of cruises leaving from Southampton on 29th September:

Cunard's Queen Mary 2

RCI's Adventure of the Seas

P & O's Ventura.

And possibly 30th Sept

Queen Victoria and Crown Princess

JB :)

you would get a better response by asking on your roll call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

You might think so, but we are going from London to Southampton a full week before our embarkation date, not the day before. For that reason, I threw it up here in hopes that someone is traveling on that date and wants to share a ride.

Thanks.

Beth

Try posting on the RollCalls of cruises leaving from Southampton on 29th September:

Cunard's Queen Mary 2

RCI's Adventure of the Seas

P & O's Ventura.

And possibly 30th Sept

Queen Victoria and Crown Princess

I've done that but they are painfully quiet roll calls. Maybe 6 posts or so. I did check into them, but so far, no response. Thanks, John. Appreciate the suggestion.

Beth

We are interested in sharing transportation from London to Southampton on 29 September. We will be staying near Paddington Station.

I can book Woodford Chauffeurs for 170GBP but we will need to share if we are doing that. They are a very good service, we've used them before when we traveled with friends.

We are on the Oct 6 Eclipse sailing but are flying to Nantes from Southampton on Sept 29. We will be in London before for a few days. We DON'T want to take the bus or train. We are interested in sharing a ride from the hotel to the airport/cruise port. I've posted it on our roll call I think, but it is highly unlikely that anyone will want to arrive in Southampton so far in advance.

Anyone interested? You can e-mail me at ebappel at yahoo dot com if you would like, or respond directly here.

Thanks for considering!:D

Let me see if I have your itinerary straight:

-Arrive in London a few days before Sept. 29;

-Travel to Southampton on Sept. 29;

-Fly to Nantes;

-Fly back to Southampton presumably on Oct. 5/6, to board cruise.

This seems awfully complicated. Is any of this booked? Because I would have thought it would have been much simpler - and cheaper - to fly to France, visit Nantes, then go to London. And simpler to do most/all of your transfers by train.

I've done that but they are painfully quiet roll calls. Maybe 6 posts or so. I did check into them, but so far, no response. Thanks, John. Appreciate the suggestion.

Beth

Ventura very unlikely, Brit rollcalls tend to be quiet.

But it's early days yet for the others. We're on a pretty lively Adventure OTS cruise out of Southampton next month.

Do consider the bus or train. Both are easy & direct. And from as little as £1 :cool: if you're lucky with a Nat Express coach "fun-fare", or by booking bucket-price train ticket via Megatrain

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/megatrainbudget.aspx

Or the cruise-tour bus which picks up at each hotel in London & delivers you to Southampton via a stop at Stonehenge.

http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/white/londontk/southampton-cruise-bus-from-150-central-london-hotels-via-stonehenge.html

Due to your date, you'd need to book as if on QM2 or Adventure OTS. Just means ensuring the driver keeps your luggage separate (you wouldn't want it going on a different cruise :D), then taking a cab from the "wrong" cruise terminal to your Southampton destination. Plenty of cabs from the cruise terminals, a constant stream dropping off passengers.

Thanks, John.

You have our trip correct. We looked into every permutation of this trip - flying from London, etc., renting a car, taking the Chunnel, flying into Paris and then taking the train. We prefer flying to Heathrow to flying to France because we can fly from New York to London during the day, suffering considerably less jet lag.

We are visiting friends in Saumur and don't want to schlepp our luggage to France with us, so plan to leave our cruise bags at the left luggage in Southampton (we could have left it at Paddington, but then would have had to spend a day less with our friends):(. This allows us to check one carryon bag to Nantes and carry on the other smaller "carryon" and a backpack. FlyBE has rather restrictive luggage arrangements. This seemed the better way to go.

Other trips we have flown to Heathrow, taken the train to Paddington and left our luggage at the Paddington Left Luggage when we explore the UK (Bath, Canterbury, etc - former trips), but this time, we wanted to see our friends in France and while I wanted to do use public transportation and take the ferry from Portsmouth and keep our bags, this didn't meet with my husband's approval. He is remembering the pain of our trip from Rome to Florence with luggage; it wasn't easy and bordered on dangerous. I've learned (and this isn't a joke - but let's not tell him) that he is usually right and I am more often wrong (about this stuff, I'm right about other stuff) because I have no sense of space or timing or my abilities. I'm a very logical person in many areas, but I always always overestimate my abilities and underestimate the difficulty. It helps me keep a positive attitude but isn't helpful because it often makes life more difficult for those around me. I try to be oblivious to it, and won't admit it to him (hope he isn't reading this post) but the reality is, he knows better about what we can do, always has, likely always will. Except that it makes planning more tedious, I think in the long run, doing what I think will work - if the moon is in the right quadrant and strangers are kind (that happened in Venice going over the bridge - a kind stranger helped with my bag and didn't steal it) is a recipe for failure and doing it his way will have greater success. We will have been married for 48 years in August, and I've learned some less than comfortable truths about myself. :o

Sorry this is so long, I'm rambling. See what I mean? Sometimes I come up with a good idea in my own hopeful way, but when he says we really can't do that, he's right and I'm being unrealistic. If I were traveling alone, I might take chances, but when it affects another person, I think it would be rude.

John, I do appreciate the time and thought you have put into this. Any new fun suggestions for while we are in London? We might go to Oxford or Cambridge for the day (I opt for Cambridge, but there are some famous physicists who were at Oxford - and there are the Inspector Morse and now Lewis tv shows to consider).

Beth

Archived