Boat To and Bus From Oia

Kenato

Hi

Using the info in this thread I booked Santorini Planet a month ago and used it last week. The service worked very well. I was a bit concerned since we were scheduled to arrive at 9 and I booked the 9:45 transfer and thought we would be late. In fact our ship schedule changed, we arrived at 8, we got on the first tender and I was there an hour early.

By letting you book certain times, they give the appearance that it runs on a rigid schedule. This is absolutely not the case. They basically run the boat when it is full which when cruise ships are in port doesn't take too long to happen. The bus was waiting when we arrived to take us up to OIA. The buses to Fira ran at 11 12, 1 and 2 pm. We took the 1 pm and they needed three buses which they provided.

When I landed off the ships tender I didn't see anywhere that said Santorini but I went to the first office I saw that said Boat to Oia and it was the right one. Its a small harbour and was easy to find. They had maps for us to use, the English communication was good in the office and when we got off the bus in OIA they were very clear in communicating options to return to Fira.

We chose to spend more time in Oia than Fira which was a good call.

Overall it was a good experience. The Cable Car line up to get down was really long but we got to the front in about 40 minutes still. We planned to walk as a backup which is feasible but those who did didn't enjoy it especially if they didn't have good walking shoes on.

Just looked at the pictures we took in Oia - what a beautiful place

Thanks so much for your review Great white north. Glad everything went well and you enjoyed your day.

Are you able to let us know what there was to do in Oia, ie were there cute little shops or do you mainly go there for the view?

Are there nice places to eat lunch and are they very expensive?

Thanks again, would love to hear your take on these things.

Cheers

Amanda

Hi

After reading and getting some great information on here about different ways on how to get to Oia from Fira, the most popular been Santorini Planet, I have tried their website, but can not find any info about transfers or times etc,

Does anyone know if they are still available ?

Thanks

Hi

After reading and getting some great information on here about different ways on how to get to Oia from Fira, the most popular been Santorini Planet, I have tried their website, but can not find any info about transfers or times etc,

Thanks

I sent them an email and they replied very quickly. They said they are available starting at 8:30. It appears they go when the boat is full. I hope to use this service as it seems to be a good way to get to Oia. I will try to let you know how it goes when I return.

Hi

Thanks

I went on their Facebook page and found you can book the transfers there. It seems like they have taken the booking capacity off their website.

Cheers

Amanda

I sent them an email and they replied very quickly. They said they are available starting at 8:30. It appears they go when the boat is full. I hope to use this service as it seems to be a good way to get to Oia. I will try to let you know how it goes when I return.

That would be great luv2vacation, look forward to any info about ports, shore excursions and your cruise.

Have a great cruise

I went on their Facebook page and found you can book the transfers there. It seems like they have taken the booking capacity off their website.

Cheers

Amanda

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't find any info about the transfers on their web site, so I e-mailed them about it. They got back to me within a day to say they WERE doing the transfers for 25 Euro pp. I was just going to e-mail them back when I saw your post so I went to facebook and made the booking using PayPal. It was, as stated, 25 Euro each plus a 1.50 Euro service charge pp. We're in Santorini on 5/29 and they had plenty of availability at 8:45, 9:45 and 10:45 AM. The price includes a ride up the hill from Ammoudi bay to Oia and a bus that runs hourly from Oia back to Fria.

Just be sure you are booking the correct option, They seem to have the boats to Oia from both the old port below Fria and from the new Athinios port. The potential gottcha is that the descriptions for the options from Athinios, say they're from Fria. It's confusing to say the least...

I THINK you might be able to get the same service and price right at the tender dock, but, hopefully, paying in advance and getting the voucher may help reduce time spent waiting in line at the ticket booth...

Santorini planet is relatively new. Last summer I had corresponded with NST.

They said no need to prepay, just show up. Both of them wait for boats to fill up before leaving so I'm not sure how important having a reservation is.

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't find any info about the transfers on their web site, so I e-mailed them about it. They got back to me within a day to say they WERE doing the transfers for 25 Euro pp. I was just going to e-mail them back when I saw your post so I went to facebook and made the booking using PayPal. It was, as stated, 25 Euro each plus a 1.50 Euro service charge pp. We're in Santorini on 5/29 and they had plenty of availability at 8:45, 9:45 and 10:45 AM. The price includes a ride up the hill from Ammoudi bay to Oia and a bus that runs hourly from Oia back to Fria.

Just be sure you are booking the correct option, They seem to have the boats to Oia from both the old port below Fria and from the new Athinios port. The potential gottcha is that the descriptions for the options from Athinios, say they're from Fria. It's confusing to say the least...

I THINK you might be able to get the same service and price right at the tender dock, but, hopefully, paying in advance and getting the voucher may help reduce time spent waiting in line at the ticket booth...

When you paid by Paypal did you receive back a voucher to obtain a ticket at the booth or an actual ticket to take on to the boat.

The confusion as to which ports the boats run to is I believe whether you go in the morning or afternoon. It appears that the morning trips go to Ammoudi Bay and then a bus up the hill to Oia. The afternoon trips appear to go to Athinios port and then a bus from there to Oia.

I've just booked this via Facebook for the day we are in Santorini. Voucher was emailed immediately.

Whenever you get to Santorini, I would welcome your report on how things went with Santoriniplanet (and anywhere else)

We're there August 27th so will post some feedback.

I think we'll be there on the same day on Silhouette 7 am - 5 pm with potentially 9800 passengers from 3 ships in port from 2-5 pm. MSC Fantasia has a capacity of 3959 passengers and they arrive at 9 am.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Greece/805-Santorini_Island/August_2014/

Time for me to e-mail Santorini Planet and NST to see if either has an option to take a boat back, as well, or I think we will want to depart from Fira to ship ~ 1 pm to avoid the crowds.

@susanw814 - If it isn't too much trouble, would you keep an eye open for the NST boats? If they share the same boats then I would think the boat would fill faster and leave earlier than filling two separate boats which each only depart when full.

I think we'll be there on the same day on Silhouette 7 am - 5 pm with potentially 9800 passengers from 3 ships in port from 2-5 pm. MSC Fantasia has a capacity of 3959 passengers and they arrive at 9 am.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Greece/805-Santorini_Island/August_2014/

Time for me to e-mail Santorini Planet and NST to see if either has an option to take a boat back, as well, or I think we will want to depart from Fira to ship ~ 1 pm to avoid the crowds.

@susanw814 - If it isn't too much trouble, would you keep an eye open for the NST boats? If they share the same boats then I would think the boat would fill faster and leave earlier than filling two separate boats which each only depart when full.

We don't arrive until 2pm and I've booked the 3pm boat.

The 3pm boat leaves from Athinios port. To my knowledge, cruise tenders go to the old port. How does one reach Athinios port from old port?

Av8tor's last post has more information on the port differences from AM and PM excursions.

Edited by travelpeon

There is an error on the Santorini Planet Facebook booking page - after 11:30 it is by bus from the Old Port of Athinios to Oia and back by bus..

I emailed Santorini Planet about this before and followed up with him today.

This is what I sent Santorini Planet:

We exchanged emails back in March about boat transfer to Oia in the afternoon because we are coming in on the Reflection.

But I see now that your booking page on Facebook shows a 3 pm afternoon boat service to Oia from Fira? Is that correct?

Gianluca Chimenti of Santorini Planet:

"From 11.30 and on we offer only transfers through Athinios port"

My email back to him:

by that you mean only bus transfers through Athinos to Oia and not by boat to Oia after 11:30

His email reply:

"Yes of course, it's by speedboat to Athinios port and than by bus to Oia.

We too are on the Reflection but in June and with its arrival in the afternoon it appears there will be no boat option for us - I have emailed the Boatman's Union and got no reply - I have read nothing to indicate it will be running, and some information that it won't be but who knows.

There is an error on the Santorini Planet Facebook booking page - after 11:30 it is by bus from the Old Port of Athinios to Oia and back by bus..

His email reply:

quote]

Not sure why you think there is an error on the booking page. It does exactly what it says on the tin

His email reply:

quote]

Not sure why you think there is an error on the booking page. It does exactly what it says on the tin

The first statement is at best misleading and sloppy but it is also incorrect: "Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure "

They use that phrase to describe the trips that leave in the morning that do use the boat and those after 11:30 that travel by bus. It is confusing.

In actually in the afternoon it is a transfer to Oia from Fira by bus and return by bus back to Oia - to be precise in the afternoon it is a speedboat from where the tender drops you off the cruise ship to another spot below Fira where you catch the bus - a really short trip.

Secondly, I am sure most people reading this get confused by the fact the Athinios is another port beneath Fira and Ammoudi is beneath Oia.

I think people are booking those afternoon bus trips in the afternoon thinking they are booking the speedboat all the way to Oia, but that is not correct.

The first statement is at best misleading and sloppy but it is also incorrect: "Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure "

They use that phrase to describe the trips that leave in the morning that do use the boat and those after 11:30 that travel by bus. It is confusing.

In actually in the afternoon it is a transfer to Oia from Fira by bus and return by bus back to Oia - to be precise in the afternoon it is a speedboat from where the tender drops you off the cruise ship to another spot below Fira where you catch the bus - a really short trip.

Secondly, I am sure most people reading this get confused by the fact the Athinios is another port beneath Fira and Ammoudi is beneath Oia.

I think people are booking those afternoon bus trips in the afternoon thinking they are booking the speedboat all the way to Oia, but that is not correct.

Why should anybody be confused. There are two different transfers to Oia based on times. The morning is:

Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach in only 12 minutes Ammoudi bay at the bottom of the picturesque and traditional village of Oia. There the partner agency will do the transfer by bus from the small harbor until the tourist parking of the village. The pickup point of the bus to reach the capital of Santorini, Fira, will be at same place...

The afternoon is:

Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach the new port of the island, Athinios port. There the partner agency will do the transfer by bus to the tourist parking of the village of Oia, it takes about 30 minutes. The pickup point of the bus to reach the capital of Santorini, Fira, will be at same place...

Simples !

Really, no one is going to be confused by this: Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach the new port of the island, Athinios port.

Transfer to Oia by Speedboat is how the description starts - and that is wrong. The confusion is also sowed by the fact that few people are going to know where Athinos and Ammoudi are.

Furthermore, it is human nature to read the paragraphs at the top of the page and see the start of the first sentence is the same and quickly glance at it and assume it is the same.

I guarantee there will be people confused about this and it is sloppy to say Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus

Really, no one is going to be confused by this: Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach the new port of the island, Athinios port.

Transfer to Oia by Speedboat is how the description starts - and that is wrong. The confusion is also sowed by the fact that few people are going to know where Athinos and Ammoudi are.

Furthermore, it is human nature to read the paragraphs at the top of the page and see the start of the first sentence is the same and quickly glance at it and assume it is the same.

I guarantee there will be people confused about this and it is sloppy to say Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus

Well let's say that anybody with an ounce of sense about them will understand the two different options. It is there in black and white for all to read. If you dont know where the two different ports are on Santorini, then look it up. Not too difficult is it? Remember these are Greeks trying to speak in English and it is completely unfair to suggest that it is sloppy. How is your Greek?

I just received this e-mail from Santorini Planet:

Hi, thanks you so much for contacting me.

Today has been decided that the transfer to Oia will run.

It will cost 25€ at the port and 20€ on internet.

Maximum people 400 per day.

You can understand that if you want to join the transfer it's better to book online, because with the limit per day at 400 and so many cruise ships in Caldera, everybody will run to buy the tickets.

The booking system will be on line from 11th of March, Monday.

The transfer will run from 8.30 until 11.00 o'clock

Only 3 times, 3 departures with maximum 400 people totally (all the boat companies together)

Thanks

regards

SantoriniPlanet

Από το iPad μου

20 Φεβ 2014, 23:40, ο/η Gianluca Chimenti <santoriniplanet@gmail.com> έγραψε:

Options & suggestions re late arrival 1400-2200 Oct 8,2014 on Celebrity Reflection. There are 8 in our party. Would appreciate any help.