Glass Bottom Boat Available at Rockley (Accra) and Carlisle & Other ?

jvitatoe26

Hello! I am trying to decide between Harbour Lights and Rockley Beach for the day in Barbados. We are in port from 8-5 and we are the only ship in Port that day (May 29th).

I understand that a taxi is about $20 roundtrip for 2 adults to/from the pier/ Harbour Lights and that taxi's are readily available to take you back to port.

Is it correct that taxi is abt $20 for 2 adults ONE WAY to/from pier / Rockley? Are taxis readily available or do you need to prearrange a return?

Also chair rentals seem abt the same $15ish for two. Correct?

Are glass bottom boats available for rides on these beaches?? I know that I have read they are available for about $20pp at The Boatyard. I really want to do this if available.

Also, what time should we plan to head back to the pier to ensure we get there with plenty of time to spare? Does abt 2, 2:30 seem right? (I'm terrified of missing the ship!)

Any other tips or tricks we should know about? Anything fun you discovered, or any safety concerns??

Thanks so much for your help!

As an option (if you like) you can take the bus between Harbour Lights and Rockley. Buses are plentiful all along Hwy.7 between B'Town and Oistins. You'd never have to wait longer than a couple of minutes. Cost is $1 USD ($2 BBD) PP one way.

If you choose a taxi, you are correct - the cost should be $20 for 2 adults one way.

I don't recall there being any glass bottom boats running out of Rockley/Accra.

Leave yourself at least 30-45 minutes to get from Rockley back to your ship, maybe even an hour. It's not far, but if traffic is heavy or there are delays getting through the port gates, you don't want to miss the boat:)

Cheers, P:)

As an option (if you like) you can take the bus between Harbour Lights and Rockley. Buses are plentiful all along Hwy.7 between B'Town and Oistins. You'd never have to wait longer than a couple of minutes. Cost is $1 USD ($2 BBD) PP one way.

If you choose a taxi, you are correct - the cost should be $20 for 2 adults one way.

I don't recall there being any glass bottom boats running out of Rockley/Accra.

Leave yourself at least 30-45 minutes to get from Rockley back to your ship, maybe even an hour. It's not far, but if traffic is heavy or there are delays getting through the port gates, you don't want to miss the boat:)

Are the boats only available by Harbour Lights then? Rockley looks soo much prettier from the pics I've seen but I do want to see the turtles

There's a man made reef at Rockley, about 150 yards out from the Tiki Bar.

We would go there almost every morning and swim with turtles at that reef. No one else, just us and the wildlife... As with all things Mother Nature, there are no guarantees, but chances are quite good you'll see turtles there, especially if you can get there early in the morning...

Another option (with better odds) is to head from the ship to Carlisle Bay and pay one of the locals on the beach $20 to take you out to the turtles. The booze cruises usually get there around 10:00ish, so if you're off the ship early, you can beat the crowds.

Spend an hour or two at Carlisle and then catch the bus down to Rockley, about 10-15 minutes away. Both beaches are right along Hwy.7, just ask the driver to drop you off there.

You can have lunch at the Tiki Bar and spend the afternoon at Rockley.

Rockley was our favourite beach...

I don't know how to swim, unfortunately so that wouldn't help me. That is also why I am so adamant abt a glass bottom boat vs. Snorkel excursion. I would love to see the turtles just don't know how to other than a glass bottom boat.

Turtle-58.jpg

I don't know how to swim, unfortunately so that wouldn't help me.

That is also why I am so adamant abt a glass bottom boat vs. Snorkel excursion.

I would love to see the turtles just don't know how to other than a glass bottom boat.

Entirely understandable!

Glass bottom boat is your option

but you will not see them(G.Btm.Boats) at Rockley Beach.

You should see them(G.Btm.Boats)

anywhere along the calmer waters of Carlisle Bay/Boatyard/Lobster Alive/Harbour Lights..

- and you will see them (G.Btm.Boats AND Turtles) most anywhere along the West Coast...

shown here..this is Paynes Bay by the way..

Jski-1265.jpg

You GO for it! ;)

Turtle-58.jpg

Entirely understandable!

Glass bottom boat is your option

but you will not see them(G.Btm.Boats) at Rockley Beach.

You should see them(G.Btm.Boats)

anywhere along the calmer waters of Carlisle Bay/Boatyard/Lobster Alive/Harbour Lights..

- and you will see them (G.Btm.Boats AND Turtles) most anywhere along the West Coast...

shown here..this is Paynes Bay by the way..

Jski-1265.jpg

You GO for it! ;)

Paynes Bay looks so nice!!! I will be checking it out for sure!

Paynes Bay looks so nice!!! I will be checking it out for sure!
Probably your best bet if turtles via Glass-Bottom-Boat are your priority!

Vendors on this beach can be a bit hard to take, but if you can deal with that (firm polite No thanks)

then just make a motion to do the turtle thing soon as you get there, if only to get off the beach and get FTTF

(Faster To The Fun in Carnival Cruises language)

Archived