Divorced parent bring the kids

To be "safe" your name should be included -- that way if you are with DSS and his DF is elsewhere (further back in line or whatever), it can help. But no, your name does not HAVE to be included.

Thanks so much!

this is a template that I got off here and have been using:

Date

To Whom It May Concern:

I, (father’s name), give consent for my minor children, (full names of children), to travel on the (name of ship) cruise with their mother and stepfather, (full names), from (start and end dates of trip). They will be traveling via the following flights:

Paste flights and cruise itinerary

(Subject to change due to delays, missed flights, weather conditions, etc.)

In addition, I give permission to their mother, (full name), to authorize any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment for my children during this trip.

Sincerely,

(Signed Name of Father)

(Contact Phone Number)

Great letter! Thanks!

Having previously said that I've only once been asked about the relationship with my son I should have said that I always carry his birth certificate and my remarriage certificate which provides evidence of our relationship. Just never been asked to show it.

I would bring one just in case. Would hate for your sister and kids to be denied boarding. I have custody of my daughter, but she has a passport, so no letter is needed.

This is not correct. A passport approved by both parents does not equate to unrestricted approval for international travel. If you have sole physical and legal custody, then that is why you do not need the letter, though you should travel with a copy of the custody decree just in case.

beachchick

My situation is a bit different from the OP's. I divorced in 1999. I did remarry 6 years later therefore making my last name different than my childrens. I did, however, have full custodyof both kids. I always had passports for all, my original OH (county) raised stamp divorce papers with me with the page clearly marked on the side.

Only ONCE did I have an issue with RC. I truly believe it was an older lady that was clueless. She kept saying "but you need a letter from their father". I nicely then asked for a supervisor. The supervisor assured her I had all that I needed (and then some..LOL).

We all 3 cruised together at least twice and then after I remarried, we have cruised altogether probably 4-5 more times. I only had that one issue.

I would 100% say if you have SHARED custody, you'd best bring passports, a notarized letter from dad, and your child(s) birth certificates to show relationship. It would be horrible to plan and pay all that money, only to be denied boarding. I would definitely be proactive on this one.

Best of luck to you...

My family is a bit of both scenarios, I am widowed from my first husband and Dh is divorced from his first wife. My last name is a hypenation of my late husband's last name and my current husband's last name.

When we travel/cruise with our kids I always make sure I have copies of:

- the death certificate

- letter from my step-daughter's mom

The ONLY time I was ever asked about names or travel documents was at JFK checking in for a flight to FL. The lady at check-in asked about the different names, and asked if I had any proof I could travel with my kids. She said that even though the names were "the same" they really weren't since mine wasn't exactly the same. I'm not sure what she would have done if I didn't have the death certificate.

If the other parent won't sign a letter with a notary, get the court to give you authorization to travel. Get SOMETHING official that says you have permission to leave the country with your children.

I'm married, same last name as my son, and I've been asked for the letter when driving through Canada to take him to visit his grandmother (my MIL). (We live in MI and she's in NY, and it's a bit faster to go through Ontario rather than down through OH and back up again.)

In the letter I included the dates of travel, where we were going from/to, and contact information for my husband -- email and cell phone. Nobody actually called him to double-check on any of it, but I *have* been asked for the letter, even with my name being on my son's birth certificate.

Similarly, I had a friend in Canada who was flying to the US with her son, whose father had died the year before. She was almost not allowed to board, because she didn't have her husband's death certificate with her. Fortunately, they were able to confirm his death through some sort of computerized records, and she was able to travel.

I understand that ex-spouses can be a petty bunch of jerkwads, and if I were in that situation I wouldn't hesitate to take it to Family Court. Let the jerkwad stand up in front of a judge and explain in court why he doesn't want his children to enjoy an awesome vacation. (And probably just the mention that a court date will be involved will get the jerkwad to agree to sign the letter!) Just make sure he signs it in the presence of a notary -- you can't have something notarized after the fact.

So my sister has called Royal and I have too. My sister is devorced with a 14 and 16 year olds. They both share custody. Does my sister need a notarized letter to bring her kids on a cruise from Port Canaveral. Royal said to me she really doesn't have to because she is one of the parents. Anyone know first hand if she does need a letter or not. People on the phone and people at the port see things differently sometimes. She knows her ex will not sign any letter just because. Any help is appreciated.

Get the letter, and bring it. I needed it, and I had joint custody of our son. He was 13 at the time. If you don't need it, great. If you do, you are ready. Have a great cruise..

You all have been so great. I sent the link to my sister so she could read first hand, what you all had to say. We all have are cabins booked for a Oct. 2013. She just told me if she doesn't have the letter by the first of Aug. She'll leave to kids with the dad. And that, right there my do the trick. Because I know I wouldn't want my kids staying with me all mad because I wouldn't sign a letter :) I hope and pray they will be about to come. Her reading all your comments helped me get the point across. It wasn't just me saying it. So Thank You all so much and Happy Cruising!!!

Archived