Dress up or Not

CruisingLover

I am new to NCL and freestyle cruising and am a little confused on the dress up or not nights.

We will be on the Pearl for a 7 day Alaska cruise.

Are there certain nights you dress up (like on RCCL there was a specific formal night) or do you just choose whatever night you want to dress up? If we do get to just choose any night, will we look out of place if we are all dressed up nicely sitting in the dining room with those who are not? If there are certain nights, when are they? Is there a schedule someplace that I can be directed to?

As mentioned, they will post in the dailies you get each night if the next night is the dress up night. But you will see people dressed casual to dressy each night. It depends on what they have planned for the evening. If I am eating at one of the nicer fee restaurants I will dress nicer than if I know I am going to the buffet. Freestyle really means you can do what YOU want.

Thanks.

There will be 19 of us and since we won't be having all dinners together, we chose one night where we will ALL be eating in the main dining room. That's the night we will all dress up because we want pictures :)

I just wanted to make sure we won't stick out like a sore thumb being all dressed up :D

I am new to NCL and freestyle cruising and am a little confused on the dress up or not nights.

Are there certain nights you dress up (like on RCCL there was a specific formal night) or do you just choose whatever night you want to dress up? If we do get to just choose any night, will we look out of place if we are all dressed up nicely sitting in the dining room with those who are not? If there are certain nights, when are they? Is there a schedule someplace that I can be directed to?

Freestyle is freestyle - we dress up every night on every cruise - thats what we do - We 'dine out at home in anything less than very fashionable smart clothes so dont feel comfortable on vacation in anything less. Our choice - go for it and enjoy choosing what makes you happy :-)

I love dressing up - my work at home is blacks and slobs and wellies - so - love getting my heels out the closet and my girlie gear on!

like the others said you choose, if you want to dress up on the non-dress up night, you won't get funny looks, likewise if you didn't dress up on the dress up night you wouldn't be out of place. Its your vacation - do what you like.

This is FREESTYLE. If you want to dress up any night, you can. If you don't want to dress up, you don't have to. The photographers are set up every night in the atrium regardless of the optional dress up or not night. If you want a picture with the captain, regardless of your dress, you generally will find him available in the atrium on dress up or not night.

NCL do advise you if it is a dress up or not night in the dailies and if you want to dress up, do it and if not, don't!

It really is freestyle cruising so you dress how you want to.... we dressed up for the speciality restaurant night we had on board the Jade but we dress quite smart casual anyway :)

Freestyle made me think that NCL passenger don't like to dress up. Boy was I wrong! I didn't see many long dresses or tuxes, but NCL passengers tend to dress up for dinner much more that passengers on my past Carnival cruises. I saw lots of cocktail dresses, so felt a bit out of place in my capris.

NCL changes the name of formal night every so often. As somebody else mentioned it's currently called Norwegian's Night Out but they do designate a night as formal.

Freestyle means you can dress however you want whenever you want. DH & I often had additional "formal" nights because we like to dress up. He usually wears a sports coat to dinner.

• 3 weeks later...

If youre not dressed up (suit,cocktail dress) does that mean you cant dine in the main dining room? Are there restrictions to where u can and cannot dine if youre not in dressier attire?

NCL changes the name of formal night every so often. As somebody else mentioned it's currently called Norwegian's Night Out but they do designate a night as formal.

Freestyle means you can dress however you want whenever you want. DH & I often had additional "formal" nights because we like to dress up. He usually wears a sports coat to dinner.

NCL does NOT designate a night as formal. It is always 'dress up or not',

even when it's called Norwegian's Night Out.

If youre not dressed up (suit,cocktail dress) does that mean you cant dine in the main dining room? Are there restrictions to where u can and cannot dine if youre not in dressier attire?

Not on NCL. You never have to be dressed up, not even on the 'dress up or not' night (Norwegians Night Out). There are no restrictions about where you can dine -- unless you're wearing shorts.

The only restrictions are in the larger, more formal of the 2 main dining rooms and the Le Bistro restaurant which require long pants for men, no shorts and no sandals for men. But, nice jeans and khakis are fine.

Next time you go out to your favorite restaurant take a look around- chances are you will be seeing the same variety of dress on NCL in the MDR (as long as your favorite restaurant isn't a really fancy 4 or 5 star place;)).

The only restrictions are in the larger, more formal of the 2 main dining rooms and the Le Bistro restaurant which require long pants for men, no shorts and no sandals for men. But, nice jeans and khakis are fine.

OK thanks! We like to dress but I didn't want to be packing a full suit for my teen, so I wanted to be sure there weren't any dining room restrictions ...

Archived