Which Dolphin Encounter is the best?

Hanks mom

Our family is going to Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel on our cruise in June. Several family members want to do the Dolphin Encounter. I've checked and the pricing is the same for these 3 ports. Has anyone done the Encounters there? Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

Our family is going to Montego Bay Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel on our cruise in June. Several family members want to do the Dolphin Encounter. I've checked and the pricing is the same for these 3 ports. Has anyone done the Encounters there? Which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

We did the dolphin swim in Cozumel. It was a big facility. Very nice. I think it is called Chankanaab park( not sure if the spelling is correct) I booked directly with the park at 1/2 the cost of going through Carnival. Do a search and look for their website. I booked by using my VISA.

I also agree with Chankanaab in Cozumel. We have done this twice. On our first cruise we booked through Carnival. On second cruise we booked direct and had a much better experience at half the cost.

I also agree with Chankanaab in Cozumel. We have done this twice. On our first cruise we booked through Carnival. On second cruise we booked direct and had a much better experience at half the cost.

Ditto. My wife and did it and is was awesome. Much cheaper going through them vs ship. Also, they run promo and that helps reduce the cost too.

Ditto. My wife and did it and is was awesome. Much cheaper going through them vs ship. Also, they run promo and that helps reduce the cost too.

Thank you all for your replys! Was the promo offer on their website?

We are going to Cozumel in June. We have 9 people going. We are getting ready to book this excursion. I wanted to book it directly. When I checked they said I would need to book with Carnival. :( Any suggestions?

Yes, Chakanaab at Cozumel is the best dolphin encounter.

Look at their web-site. If you are off a Carnival ship, they expect you to book thru Carnival. But you can book claiming you are staying at a hotel in Cozumel. Will save you quite a bit of money. Just don't be holding Carnival blue towels when you check in.

Did the royal dolphin swim thru chankanaab in 2010. Was planning to do the manatee swim this year. Why do you have to book thru carnival?

in 2010 it was beautiful and clean. We spent the whole day there and loved it.

Carnival has a contract with Dolphin Discovery there and they will not let you book directly with them if you are on a Carnival ship. People on here do it by looking up to see what other cruise line is there that day and telling them that they are with that cruise line or say that they are staying there on the island and give them a hotel name.

I highly recommend chankanaab as well.

Here are 2 of my reviews of Chankanaab (with a link at the bottom for tons of pictures) and my dolphin & manatee swim review as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=59

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...7&postcount=65

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...0&postcount=48

Carnival has a contract with Dolphin Discovery there and they will not let you book directly with them if you are on a Carnival ship. People on here do it by looking up to see what other cruise line is there that day and telling them that they are with that cruise line or say that they are staying there on the island and give them a hotel name.

Here are 2 of my reviews of Chankanaab (with a link at the bottom for tons of pictures) and my dolphin & manatee swim review as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

I love reading all of your posts. We are doing the Royal Dophin Swim in June. I have not booked yet. Trying to get the nerve to go on my own. So much cheaper. There are 9 of us. We are cruising on Carnival and I did call to book on my own. When they asked who we were cruising with... of course, they said we had to book through Carnival. So if I tell them we are staying in a hotel in Cozumel, what do you think will happen if our ship does not go to that port? Do you think I could get a refund?

I love reading all of your posts. We are doing the Royal Dophin Swim in June. I have not booked yet. Trying to get the nerve to go on my own. So much cheaper. There are 9 of us. We are cruising on Carnival and I did call to book on my own. When they asked who we were cruising with... of course, they said we had to book through Carnival. So if I tell them we are staying in a hotel in Cozumel, what do you think will happen if our ship does not go to that port? Do you think I could get a refund?

Oh gosh. I don't know. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned that before. Maybe it would be better if you say you are on another ship? I have never paid attention to their cancellation policy. You might try reading it and see if it mentions anything about when you can cancel and when/if you a refund.

Oh gosh. I don't know. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned that before. Maybe it would be better if you say you are on another ship? I have never paid attention to their cancellation policy. You might try reading it and see if it mentions anything about when you can cancel and when/if you a refund.

Thanks. I will do that. The Carnival Liberty is the only ship in port that day! Wow! Hope thats a good thing. :) I've read many of your posts and they have made me feel comfortable in choosing what our family is doing. :) Even if we decide to book the dolphins through Carnival, I hope that it is a carefree day. It seems from reading some posts that when people book on their own they are not as rushed. Anyway, thank you.

enjoyed your reviews and pictures! I did notice that the park is a lot more crowded that it was when we were there.

I only had 7 in my group for the royal dolphin swim and my relatives that did the encounter only had 6 in their group.

We loved our day there. It was so beautiful and peaceful.

So far on the carnival excursion list they don't have just the manatee swim by itself. :mad:

We may just have to make other plans for the day.

We were a group of 9 and went to Chankanaab in a taxi (van) that fit all of us. We booked online because I was worried about them asking me about Carnival. When my friend booked, she called and wasn't even asked. I guess it's luck of the draw. It was MUCH cheaper to book yourself. Once we got there, nobody even asked where we came from. I DID bring our own towels. It really was a great day. My only complaint--would have loved a few days there!

We were a group of 9 and went to Chankanaab in a taxi (van) that fit all of us. We booked online because I was worried about them asking me about Carnival. When my friend booked, she called and wasn't even asked. I guess it's luck of the draw. It was MUCH cheaper to book yourself. Once we got there, nobody even asked where we came from. I DID bring our own towels. It really was a great day. My only complaint--would have loved a few days there!

We have 9 people going... all want to do the Royal Dolphin Swim. I want to be brave and book on line. LOL I will read the cancellation policy. Just worried about our ship not going to Coz for some odd reason.

Either way..... 69 more days!:D

Do you remember the cost of the Taxi van? Also, did you feel that 9 people doing the royal swim was a lot? We have 9 and would love to be together.

Do you remember the cost of the Taxi van? Also, did you feel that 9 people doing the royal swim was a lot? We have 9 and would love to be together.

The area is very large. The dolphin swim was in one area and the pool in another. The beach area was in another section of the park. They had MANY chairs with some side tables, so drinks and food could be brought while hanging out at the beach. Our group split up at various times depending on who wanted to do what. There is also a trail to follow that provided artwork and facts about the area. Though we all went together, most of the time was spent in "shifts". You will never feel cramped. I do want to mention, the pictures and CD's are VERY expensive. I brought my camcorder and swapped with the other family. By booking different times, we were able to take more pictures. I just had a thought....what if one is booking the excursion as a gift and does not know what ship their friend is even on? Just a thought... I DO know that the cabs had a set price. There also seemed to be an issue with having 9 people. There was no issue going there--maybe that driving didn't count my daughter because she was little (a very tiny five year old). We all fit and thought nothing of it. Coming back, they didn't want us to take one cab because we were a party of 9. They wanted to charge us more or take two cabs. I will have to ask my husband tonight and get back to you. He has a much better memory. I'll find out about the number of people and the price.

The area is very large. The dolphin swim was in one area and the pool in another. The beach area was in another section of the park. They had MANY chairs with some side tables, so drinks and food could be brought while hanging out at the beach. Our group split up at various times depending on who wanted to do what. There is also a trail to follow that provided artwork and facts about the area. Though we all went together, most of the time was spent in "shifts". You will never feel cramped. I do want to mention, the pictures and CD's are VERY expensive. I brought my camcorder and swapped with the other family. By booking different times, we were able to take more pictures. I just had a thought....what if one is booking the excursion as a gift and does not know what ship their friend is even on? Just a thought... I DO know that the cabs had a set price. There also seemed to be an issue with having 9 people. There was no issue going there--maybe that driving didn't count my daughter because she was little (a very tiny five year old). We all fit and thought nothing of it. Coming back, they didn't want us to take one cab because we were a party of 9. They wanted to charge us more or take two cabs. I will have to ask my husband tonight and get back to you. He has a much better memory. I'll find out about the number of people and the price.

Thank you for the info. We are getting so excited. We have a group of 9, two families, 5 and 4. We would love to be together but would also love to have as much time as we can. I wasn't sure if the park had a set number of people they wanted in a group??? If that's the case, then we would prefer to be together. I am taking a small underwater camera. I've seen people say they are not allowed. I have also seen where people do not mention it and just take it.

What do you mean by splitting up and taking the pics? We are doing the Royal swim. Is there a place where we can see each other?

enjoyed your reviews and pictures! I did notice that the park is a lot more crowded that it was when we were there.

I only had 7 in my group for the royal dolphin swim and my relatives that did the encounter only had 6 in their group.

We loved our day there. It was so beautiful and peaceful.

So far on the carnival excursion list they don't have just the manatee swim by itself. :mad:

We may just have to make other plans for the day.

Thanks. Yes, every time we have been there, there were about 6 or 7 ships in port. It never felt really crowded but the time we went in March (on Spring Break of course) and it took us so long to get in (because of us leaving our bag in the taxi) that by the time we got in, there wasn't any chairs left in the area we usually sit in (by the snorkeling area). So about 1 hour later, there were pleanty of chairs. I'm not sure why every left or maybe they headed to the dolphin swim. :confused: I just know it cleared out nicely.

We have 9 people going... all want to do the Royal Dolphin Swim. I want to be brave and book on line. LOL I will read the cancellation policy. Just worried about our ship not going to Coz for some odd reason.

Either way..... 69 more days!:D

Good luck and I hope things work out. You will have a good time. :)

The taxis fares are a flat rate depending on how many you have in your party.

For 1-4 people, the cost is $10.00 (total, not per person)

For 5-7 people, the cost is $15.00

For 8 and over, the cost is $22.00

This use to be the prices when we went before. I'm not sure if they have changed since then. I didn't pay attention to them in December. I just know we still paid the same amount as always. :)

OK, I checked with my husband. Just as Mitsurgirly mentioned, the cab fare for 1-8 was $22 when we went. I recall an issue with our party of nine. What happened is that we were going to get two cabs when we first got there. We knew from these boards how many people per van and how much for the set taxi price. When we told the driver we were splitting up, he insisted we were fine with all nine of us in the van. Now, it might be that my daugher was a tiny five year old, so he didn't count her. Everybody fit and it was comfortable. Now when we had the problem was when we were leaving to go back to ship. We were instructed to let the park know when we were leaving and they would have cab ready. We had told them one cab because that is how we came to the park. We really didn't think anything of it. When the cab came, he didn't want to take all of us because there were nine of us. We didn't have an issue with paying more, but had an issue with staying together for our plans following the park. Had we known, we would have requested two cabs at once. At the time we were leaving, it was a while to wait for cabs. Again, there isn't a long wait if you have the park get you one. In the end, we paid the amount for nine people and stayed in one van. Even if we had to take the two vans, no big deal. I just want to provide you the info, just in case. Also, the price we paid was back in 2011. We also tipped both drivers.

As for splitting up for pictures...Our friends booked an excursion at a different time than our family swim. Because I was not in the water with them, I was able to stand to the side and video tape/take pictures the whole time they were in the water. Had we booked the swim together, pictures would have been limited. We didn't plan it that way for that reason, but becasue we were doing different types of swims.

FYI to those booking on your own if cruising with Carnival, we had booked through the excursion site and gotten a coupon. Also when, booking-I input "ecommerce", so the site let me book without having to input "carnival". Not sure what the ecommerce is for, but it's what the boards had mentioned before I booked.

Have fun!!

Archived