Istanbul on our own - advise please!

Dont worry istanbul is super-safe. My wife is a blonde russian lady who likes wearing shorter-than-decent shorts in the summer and nothing -not a single thing- has happened in 3 years. And she goes around the city public transportation a lot. That said -everbody looks at foreigners- in istanbul. Looking , and shamelessly directly looking, is like a national sport.

If it's any guide I did this in my time there (4pm Monday - 5 pm Tuesday)

Topkapi palace 25TL (u12s free), + another 15TL for the Harem

Hagia Sophia

Entry cost 25 TL

For both of these you can buy tickets in advance (except for the Harem, which you get from the box office once inside the Topkapi palace) from http://www.muze.gov.tr/hagiasophia This worked out well as we went straight in past the long lines. You print out an email with a QR code for each ticket and remember to take it with you

For u12s (free) you don't need a ticket. Our youngster was obviously under 12 and the official at the turnstile waved her through, but we had her passport with us anyway.

The only downside with buying your ticket in advance is that the website makes it clear it is non-refundable so if you don't use it, it's lost. But as 25TL is not a fortune I'd say getting it this way is well worth it - just double check you get the date right.

Blue Mosque

Entry is free and they provide clothing if your shorts don't cover your knees. You can't go in at prayer times, so as the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque are almost next to each other go to the mosque first and check your possible entry times (i.e. outside of the 5 prayer periods). That way you will know when to go there and not waste precious time. If you get lucky and can go in straight away, do so and go to the Hagia Sophia afterwards - your ticket there is for the day and does not specify a time. Once inside the mosque we spent about 15 minutes looking round. The tiles are stunning and I would have liked longer here but was mindful of our schedule.

Basilica Cistern

You can't buy your (10 TL) ticket in advance but the queue moves quickly. There are over 50 steps down to the cistern floor. I think this is another 'must-see' as there can't be too much else like it anywhere. It's a one trick pony but a great one, and we spent 15 minutes down there.

Grand Bazaar, Galata Tower (12 TL) & Spice Bazaar

Obviously going to Sultanahmet by taxi is easiest way but the tram is simple and less susceptible to traffic delays. As you leave the port turn right, walk about 200 yards and you'll see the stop. But before you do that ask someone where the nearest machine is to buy the tram tokens (red plastic discs which you use to open the platform gates). Each ride cost 2 TL pp so you'll need 4 pp to go there and back. If you want to go the Grand Bazaar after Sultanahmet you could walk (about a mile) or tram it, in which case you'll need another disc. There is a token machine at Sultanahmet (probably more than one) if you need to top up.

All the best, Tony

Great reading Tony

So what is the best point to get off Tram, Sultanahmet or Gulhane ?

Just to also add you can now also per buy ticket for Harem:-)

Middle aged single female was there 2 weeks ago and echo other posters about the ease of getting around this magnificent city. Because you are time limited, I would advise against walking it especially if you are pushing a stroller or not as physically fit. Rick Steves guidebook does suggest a walking tour and how to make the most of your visit once in the Sultanahmhet area. Traffic can be horrendous gridlock so I would advise against the HOHO bus or taxi. There are 2 different cruise ports, so depending on where your ship docks you can ask port security directions and walk to the nearest tram station usually a few blocks away. I had gotten a $100 US in Turkish Lira prior to my cruise, so didnt have to worry about an ATM. At the tram stop there are machines that you insert your Lira in exchange for a plastic tram token that costs 3 turkish lira. The token is inserted before you enter the tram area. Take the tram to the Sultanhmet stop which is where most of the major attractions for 1st time visitors are located. There are maps posted overhead on the tram so you can know how many stops until you get off. They do announce it on the tram prior to the stop, but I had a hard time hearing the announcement and just anticipated my stop. Once off the tram you can walk to the area of Hagia Sofya, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya Hamam, & Arasta Bazaar. Anticipate long lines so if at all possible travel to this area as soon as you get off the ship. The Underground cistern and Grand Bazaar are a reasonable walk from this area. Sites have restrooms, but you may need a few lira coins (and own tissue paper) for some of the public restrooms. Tram ride normally takes about 10 minutes. My return trip to the ship was a bit challenging as the tram was very very very crowded and delayed due to an auto accident so traffic was at a standstill for over an hour, however it still represented the best mode of travel- just allow plenty of time to return to ship.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Hi

our cruiseship will reach Istanbul at 4pm and then leave the next morning at 4pm.

Can anyone suggest what to do on the first evening after 4pm.

Thanks

Did you mean 4 a.m. and not 4 p.m. as typed above as to when you are leaving?

There are lots of things you could do - for starters take a night/dinner cruise.

Sorry I meant to say - our ship will arrive at 4pm and leave the following afternoon 4pm. We are a group of 7 ppl and do not plan to join any excursions. Plan to see the famous places the next day, but have no idea what to do after the ship arrives Istanbul. Another issue is, what time should we leave the city and take the tram back to the port. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank You.

Sorry I meant to say - our ship will arrive at 4pm and leave the following afternoon 4pm. We are a group of 7 ppl and do not plan to join any excursions. Plan to see the famous places the next day, but have no idea what to do after the ship arrives Istanbul. Another issue is, what time should we leave the city and take the tram back to the port. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank You.

A lot of people like to do Istanbul on their own. We were not one of those groups. We used Ephesus Shuttle and had the most amazing guide ever. I still keep in touch with her. We saw all of the "must dos" and managed to do a two-day itinerary into one albeit long day. In talking with others from our roll call who DIY, we came out WAY ahead as they didn't come near to all the things we did. They mostly spent their time on buses, trams, or waiting in line. We had a private bus waiting on us everywhere right at the exits or entrances. And we were able to put in breaks whenever we wanted to.

Did u have traffic issues on the bus during your excursion? Ppl say the best way is to get on the tram.

We actually did not have any issues. I think it is because the driver knew exactly where to go and when and timed everything accordingly. This wasn't a fluke either. Our daughter, who lives in the Netherlands, had joined us for part of the cruise but left us after the overnight in Istanbul. Ephesus Shuttle also took her to the airport. I had heard horrible stories about the traffic as well as what could happen to a young woman, and she actually got to the airport quicker than she was supposed to! Maybe it was just luck on our part. I don't know but I think they just hire people that know what they are doing. The tram looked looked like it was filled up with DIY and their Rick Steves books.

A lot of people like to do Istanbul on their own. We were not one of those groups. We used Ephesus Shuttle and had the most amazing guide ever. I still keep in touch with her. We saw all of the "must dos" and managed to do a two-day itinerary into one albeit long day. In talking with others from our roll call who DIY, we came out WAY ahead as they didn't come near to all the things we did. They mostly spent their time on buses, trams, or waiting in line. We had a private bus waiting on us everywhere right at the exits or entrances. And we were able to put in breaks whenever we wanted to.

I'm sad to hear your comments on the folks who did DIY, as that was not my experience at all. I wonder if they really did much advance research, as the only time I spent in transportation (other than walking around the historic area) was about a 10-minute tram ride each way to and from the ship, and an additional 5 minute ride to the Grand Bazaar. The trams run on a dedicated track and don't wait in the traffic.

It really is an easy city in that respect. I did this on my second visit there, as my first visit was a total HORROR due to taking a ship excursion. But on that second day, I was able to see everything I had planned on my own.

Hi

our cruiseship will reach Istanbul at 4pm and then leave the next morning at 4pm.

Thanks

I've only been to Turkey once during our recent cruise while it was my wife's second time.

After finishing up the old town during the day, we pit stopped at the ship and then walked to the funicular which took us up to Taksim Square which we wandered a bit and then headed to Istiklal Avenue. We essentially walked the length of Istiklal and back. This was probably our favourite activity of our entire cruise as it was a Friday night and Istiklal was really lively.

We loved it so much we took a taksi back up there the next morning to check it out again during the day; which was not so lively. :) The cab, which we hailed off the street, was pretty easy, quick, and cheap.

The experience is one of the factors causing us to look into a book a land tour of Turkey for one of our next trips.

Side note: I used Ephesus Shuttle for my Ephesus tour out of Kusadasi while my wife used them for her tour out of Izmir and they were great. Nothing but positive things to say about our experiences with them.

I'm sad to hear your comments on the folks who did DIY, as that was not my experience at all. I wonder if they really did much advance research, as the only time I spent in transportation (other than walking around the historic area) was about a 10-minute tram ride each way to and from the ship, and an additional 5 minute ride to the Grand Bazaar. The trams run on a dedicated track and don't wait in the traffic.

Gotta agree with Cruisemom. ;)

DIY is very easy, and the tram very quick - unaffected by traffic grief.

Unlike ship-sponsored coach tours, which I too would strongly advise against.

A little research (threads on CC are sufficient) will provide routes & hints, and I don't know of antone who's had problems or delays getting around independently.

jdvmd may have a point about lines to get into Aya Sophia (various spellings), and mebbe Topkapi Palace. Aya Sophia does seem to have a reputation for lines - early in the day seems a good time.

Other than that the only downside of not having a guide is the lack of background history and a sounding-board for questions, though I'm happy to soak up a place without the history stuff.

Each to their own ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Have a look at this thread:

Evening in Istanbul

In talking with others from our roll call who DIY, we came out WAY ahead as they didn't come near to all the things we did.
I certainly hope that you came out ahead, otherwise what is the point of paying for a private guide and driver? If your goal is to squeeze in as many sites as possible into one and a half days, and you also have special requirements like an airport transfer, and you are not too concerned about the cost, then obviously a private tour is the best option.

Most people who recommend DIY are really saying "DIY instead of taking the ship's excursion". If you are traveling with a small group of first-time visitors, a private tour can be a good idea, if you can afford it.

jdvmd may have a point about lines to get into Aya Sophia (various spellings), and mebbe Topkapi Palace. Aya Sophia does seem to have a reputation for lines - early in the day seems a good time.

JB :)

With the new electronic site introduced a couple of years ago, it's now quite easy to pre-purchase your ticket for Haghia Sophia or Topkapi Palace (and even the Harem ticket), which were the only places where waits could be substantial.

Prepurchasing lets you bypass the long lines.