Sanctuary...general questions

oratheeexplorer

Are all of the lounge chairs, etc in the sanctuary in the shade? It seems like pictures I have seen of this area, there is always a covering above. Also, is there a pool there that only people that pay to use the sanctuary can use? Is it in the sun or shade? Are there waiters there to get you drinks, snacks? Also, I saw a picture of some spa tables under a canopy, can you get a massage there?

We've never really checked out this area on any of our cruises and I was just wondering about it. Interested to hear any info on the sanctuary....thanks in advance!

The Sanctuary on all ships have loungers in the sun or the shade, whichever you prefer. Which can change, depending on which direction the ship is sailing.

Attendants will bring you beverages, food, towels, blanket (if it's chilly) or iced towels (if it's hot.) The Island and Coral have a small wading pool for the Sanctuary; it's in the sun, depending on which direction the ship is sailing. The other ships with a Sanctuary have a pool nearby but it's not exclusive to the Sanctuary. I believe it's adults only, though.

You can get massages in the covered canopied areas in the Sanctuary on the Ruby and her sisters. I don't know about the other ships. You have to arrange for the massages through the spa.

The waiters will bring you ice water and citrus water. There is a small menu which has a few light sandwich selections and some snacks like chips and guacamole. Also on there are things from the Pool Grill. The wait staff will bring them to you as well as other beverages. There is a small charge for this service (I think it was $3 when I was on the Ruby last month) and of course you must pay for the beverages if they are things other than ice tea or water. Around 3:15 PM (teatime) the wait staff comes around with carts on which there are little sandwiches, cookies and petit fours.

The pool one deck down from the Sanctuary is adults only and on the ships I've been on it has had one of those machines that creates a current so you can swim laps if you want to.

We spend a large part of our sea days on two loungers in the shade in the Sanctuary because it is a very quiet and relaxing place.

On our last two cruises (Grand and Ruby) we got loungers in the sun, but when we asked, they would move them into the shade for us. (Or under the ceiling out of the rain).

The pool is not exclusively for the Sanctuary, but is an adults-only pool.

Thanks for posting pictures for the Sanctuary on Caribbean Princess! These help answer a lot of my questions as well!

Just a few more though:

1. If we don't get to the Sanctuary in time to book for the week, are there lounge chairs underneath the life boats for being on deck but not in the sun? Any other spots for deck time without the sun?

2. Even though the Sanctuary attendants leave at 5:00, are you allowed to stay as late as you want, or do you also have to vacate at 5:00 when the attendants leave?

3. I've read some posts about it being too windy in the Sanctuary sometimes. Has anyone had a problem with this?

4. When booking the Sanctuary, can you book for your spouse or do they have to be there to do it themselves?

Thanks so much for your help!

Just a few more though:

1. If we don't get to the Sanctuary in time to book for the week, are there lounge chairs underneath the life boats for being on deck but not in the sun? Any other spots for deck time without the sun?

2. Even though the Sanctuary attendants leave at 5:00, are you allowed to stay as late as you want, or do you also have to vacate at 5:00 when the attendants leave?

3. I've read some posts about it being too windy in the Sanctuary sometimes. Has anyone had a problem with this?

4. When booking the Sanctuary, can you book for your spouse or do they have to be there to do it themselves?

1. I don't remember whether the CB has the wide Promenade deck and loungers. :(

2. You can stay later, after 5pm.

3. I've only visited the Sanctuary on the Sapphire where it's in the front of the ship like on the CB. The ship was docked in port and it wasn't a windy day yet the canvas covers were flapping like mad. I booked the Island where the Sanctuary is aft and wind isn't as much of a factor.

4. Yes. You can book for someone else as long as you're able to sign the charge receipt.

• 2 months later...

So I have a couples Cabana massage booked on my November 30th sailing on CB. Will that allow me additional access to the Sanctuary or will we have to leave the minute the massage is completed?

Also, although this my first Princess cruise, I am being allotted Elite status, and we will be boarding at 12 noon. Will this be early enough to book the sanctuary?

So I have a couples Cabana massage booked on my November 30th sailing on CB. Will that allow me additional access to the Sanctuary or will we have to leave the minute the massage is completed?

Also, although this my first Princess cruise, I am being allotted Elite status, and we will be boarding at 12 noon. Will this be early enough to book the sanctuary?

Can't answer the question about the Cabana massage.

Not sure why you've been given Elite status for your cruise but if so, you'll love the perks. To me, the unlimited free laundry is the best and the free Internet is great. Platinum/Elite/full Suite passengers have "Priority" boarding and are the first to board, usually between 11:30-12N. As an Elite, you'd have priority check-in and boarding so if you go up to the Sanctuary, you'll be able to book "your" loungers.

Can't answer the question about the Cabana massage.

Not sure why you've been given Elite status for your cruise but if so, you'll love the perks. To me, the unlimited free laundry is the best and the free Internet is great. Platinum/Elite/full Suite passengers have "Priority" boarding and are the first to board, usually between 11:30-12N. As an Elite, you'd have priority check-in and boarding so if you go up to the Sanctuary, you'll be able to book "your" loungers.

My Elite status on this cruise is a long story that I cannot go into. It looks like I will not be allotted the priority boarding as my documents state 12-3pm boarding and from what I am reading, elites board before 12 noon.

Also, I am not sure if we want to book for the whole week. Does the week include disembarkation day? So a Sat-Sat cruise would be charged for 8 days? And although I love sitting in a shady lounger on a sunny day, I do want to catch some rays so having the same lounger every day may not be ideal.

My Elite status on this cruise is a long story that I cannot go into. It looks like I will not be allotted the priority boarding as my documents state 12-3pm boarding and from what I am reading, elites board before 12 noon.

Also, I am not sure if we want to book for the whole week. Does the week include disembarkation day? So a Sat-Sat cruise would be charged for 8 days? And although I love sitting in a shady lounger on a sunny day, I do want to catch some rays so having the same lounger every day may not be ideal.

Its for 7 days not the day you are going home.

Then why mention you're an "elite" although it's your first Princess cruise? This statement will, undoubtedly, result in questions.

Then why mention you're an "elite" although it's your first Princess cruise? This statement will, undoubtedly, result in questions.

I mentioned it because the elites usually get an earlier boarding time and hence, there would be a chance I could get to the Sanctuary sign up in time. I could have glossed over the weird status and pretended I was elite, but my newbie questions would soon have exposed that lie.

We did a couples massage last August on the Ruby in the Santuary and when massage was over we were brought back to the lotus spa, given our water and back to get changed. You do not get extra time in the Santuary

Regardless of what boarding time it's says to board, if your boarding pass has a green border at the top that says, "Priority", then you have Priority boarding and can ignore the staggered boarding time.

As for the Sanctuary is concerned, if you book the full cruise, you'll be charged a per diem for the number of full days on the cruise. In other words, it doesn't include embarkation or disembarkation day. You'll save about $5/day/person. Often, the people booking the entire cruise pick the best locations. Maybe not fair but they're paying whether they're there or not. If you choose to book by the day, you'll need to get up to the Sanctuary at 8AM on the day you want to book. Your lounger can be moved in and out of the sun so you're not stuck with a lounger always in the sun or shade.

We did a couples massage last August on the Ruby in the Santuary and when massage was over we were brought back to the lotus spa, given our water and back to get changed. You do not get extra time in the Santuary

Thanks. That was how I was picturing it.

Regardless of what boarding time it's says to board, if your boarding pass has a green border at the top that says, "Priority", then you have Priority boarding and can ignore the staggered boarding time.

As for the Sanctuary is concerned, if you book the full cruise, you'll be charged a per diem for the number of full days on the cruise. In other words, it doesn't include embarkation or disembarkation day. You'll save about $5/day/person. Often, the people booking the entire cruise pick the best locations. Maybe not fair but they're paying whether they're there or not. If you choose to book by the day, you'll need to get up to the Sanctuary at 8AM on the day you want to book. Your lounger can be moved in and out of the sun so you're not stuck with a lounger always in the sun or shade.

Thanks Pam. You are a goddess of WikiPrincess!

A few pics from the Caribbean Princess taken first week of April 1st this year, that answer most of your questions.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

Tony

Should I assume that all the loungers with towels spread out (as opposed to how I've seen them with towels rolled up like lumbar pillows) means those loungers are reserved for the day? I.e. at the the time these pics were taken there was not a spare lounger to be had for love nor money?

I'm asking because I am somewhat interested in the Sanctuary,but also feeling a little "fee add-on" ed to death. So I'd be interested in maybe trying it for a day but don't want to have to scratch and claw my way up there at the crack of dawn. I assume that it's scratch and claw or lie on sub-par loungers with those unwilling or unable to pay extra?

We have always booked the Sanctuary for the whole cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are on the repo cruise NY to Houston in the fall. Three or four of these days will definitely be cool, we are wondering if we can book for the balance of the cruise on the fourth day and be able to reserve certain available chairs and keep them for the balance of the cruise.

Sharon

Should I assume that all the loungers with towels spread out (as opposed to how I've seen them with towels rolled up like lumbar pillows) means those loungers are reserved for the day? I.e. at the the time these pics were taken there was not a spare lounger to be had for love nor money?

I'm asking because I am somewhat interested in the Sanctuary,but also feeling a little "fee add-on" ed to death. So I'd be interested in maybe trying it for a day but don't want to have to scratch and claw my way up there at the crack of dawn. I assume that it's scratch and claw or lie on sub-par loungers with those unwilling or unable to pay extra?

Yes, once a lounger is booked, it's covered with towels... almost like a made-up bed.

Only a certain number are available for booking the entire cruise. The rest are available either by the day or half day.

I have to admit that I don't feel nickeled and dimed to pay for extras on Princess. To me, extra fees or charges are for things or services I may or may not use. It's a choice and the vast majority of the time, I don't pay extra for anything. I think a specialty restaurant is a treat, as is the Sanctuary. I can live without them. I've never gotten a coffee card, don't gamble, don't play Bingo, etc. Sometimes, I get a soda card but that's my choice.

Archived