Gluten free?

bangzoom6877

Our 7 year old daughter has Celiac Disease and at first we were worried about continuing with our cruise plans. These boards have helped ease some of our concerns and it seems Carnival does a good job!

We will be sure to contact the staff to notify them in advance of her dietary restrictions. She'll be happy to hear about the warm chocolate melting cake!

I just went on boarding to the Dining room during Dining Inquiries (1-3pm) and they came to the table that night with the menu to discuss the next days meals. No gluten free bread the 1st night, but they went over the menu for what was safe to eat on the !st night.

I just went on boarding to the Dining room during Dining Inquiries (1-3pm) and they came to the table that night with the menu to discuss the next days meals. No gluten free bread the 1st night, but they went over the menu for what was safe to eat on the !st night.

Great, thanks! I want this to be as "normal" for her as possible!

Anyone been there and know what is gluten free to eat on the island? We are going to do the De Palm snorkel and swim through the Carnival Freedom. My daughter is going who must eat gluten free. The buffet is included but don't know if she can eat anything on it.

Thanks!

Anyone been there and know what is gluten free to eat on the island? We are going to do the De Palm snorkel and swim through the Carnival Freedom. My daughter is going who must eat gluten free. The buffet is included but don't know if she can eat anything on it.

Thanks!

I emailed De Palm food and they said they label the buffet food items. She even sent me labels. They clearly state: contains gluten or gluten free. She said also a special meal can be prepared and left in kitchen until we arrive if I email her info ahead of time. I was impressed!

• 4 weeks later...
Gluten in The soft serve ice cream?

I called Carnival about 2 weeks ago to question this. They said yes there is gluten in the soft serve ice cream on deck. He couldn't verify ingredients or brand name. He did however find out that the dining room does serve chocolate ice cream that is gluten free. He says we can arrange with the maitre d' to take some out of dining room at lunch if we bring our own gf cones.

I also asked about the lemondae and iced tea. He said they contain gluten which I was shocked. I asked for ingredients as often times suppliers can't guarantee it is gf but ingred. are fine. He said they would research it and get back to me. Still waiting...

Well now they have ruined the chocolate covered strawberries for GF folks. Instead of decorating them with white icing they are rolling them in red velvet cake crumbs.

I got a completely different answer from Miami on the soft serve and all ice cream flavors in the dining room. I was told they were GF. The best thing to do is to ask to see the packaging on the soft serve bag when they refill the machines. When you are gluten free you have to check and recheck ingredients on processed foods because the manufacturers keep changing the formulas. I was told NOT to eat the eggs on the Lido buffet (except for the hard boiled eggs) unless I went to the omelet station and asked the cook to prepare fresh eggs and you have to specify a clean pan. Also, the tortilla chips on the buffet at lunch are from flour tortillas, which is really strange. Most establishments use corn chips and almost all of the corn chips are GF.

Omg isn't that the truth! And we deal with people who say crazy things like "its all in your head" or (my favorite) "oh, come on, you can have just a bite" etc!

EXACTLY!!

My tests come back normal in regards to gluten. HOWEVER, I have Lupus and severe IBS.

Even though the tests come back normal when I get them done for gluten allergy or intolerant, I try and stay away. When I eat pasta and things with flour ang gluten it makes me sick for about a week.

I used to drink milk all the time, and now that is another trigger.

It's awful! Best with all of us "sufferer's" for us to find and note what irritates us and ust stay away from it. It has worked for me 99 percent of the time. It has also made things so much more enjoyable instead of dealing with the cramping, irritation, not feeling well, etc.

My wife has a gluten allergy and we are wondering why they have to make a special flourless chocolate cake? Ingredients according to Carnival: Unsweetened cocoa powder, semisweet chocolate, butter, eggs, vanilla and sugar. Should not have any gluten in it.

We will double check when we get on board just in case but she is looking forward to having them.

Most establishments use corn chips and almost all of the corn chips are GF.

Depending on your sensitivity, you should be careful with corn tortilla chips in restaurants. Yes, the chips themselves are gluten free, but some restaurants (like Applebees for example) deep fry them on site in the same fryers used for things like the chicken tenders. At this point, they're cross contaminated.

• 2 weeks later...
Omg isn't that the truth! And we deal with people who say crazy things like "its all in your head" or (my favorite) "oh, come on, you can have just a bite" etc!

Oh and I get comments like this about my son's food allergies. He is allergic to shellfish, tree nuts and peanuts. The nut and peanut allergy is the most complicated because so many items are cross-contaminated. Most people I explain this to are very understanding and careful with him. His school is amazing, including his own teacher. His classmates are supportive and there is also a little girl in his class with the nut and peanut allergies so they sit together at the nut/peanut-free table at lunch. But occasionally I come across someone that just won't listen. It's always something like "Oh, but they must wash their equipment well enough" or "oh, he can taste just a little bit". And then I go on and on and explain how this is a life threatening condition and just a tiny amount can trigger a life threatening reaction, which is why I carry 2 Epi-pens at all times just in case. They also have 2 at school for him and my parents have 2 at their house since he spends a lot of time there. But my explanations are sometimes to no avail...some people just don't want to believe that it is that serious and they feel like I am being overprotective and not raising my son to be a "man". But I think DH and I are doing a pretty good job...DS is very aware of his allergy and reads all labels even though we read them to be sure, and not only that, but my little one (his 6-y.o. brother) is also very well aware of his big brother's allergy and also reads labels with us. If I give them a snack his little brother will ask me, "Is that OK for him? Remember his allergy Mommy!" So I am very happy to say that we are raising 2 sons with complete knowledge of the food allergies of one of them and the severity of them. They need to know so they take it seriously.

Now the only thing that worries me is when my son becomes a teenager. He is only 8 years old right now, but I teach in a high school and I know a lot of students who don't carry their Epi-pens to school but they need to have them at all times just in case. We are already drilling this into him, that when he is older and traveling to school on his own and able to go out with friends, that he will be responsible for carrying the Epi-pen and using it if necessary. I certainly hope that he never needs it, but you never know and better safe than sorry. But people's ignorance never ceases to amaze me. You wouldn't give a kid matches to play with because it can cause a fatal accident, so why give them food that can potentially do the same thing?

[quote name='DebJ14']When I was first diagnosed with gluten problems I did a blood work panel to test for food sensitivities. There were 16 foods on the list that I tested positive for. They included many of my favorites including chocolate, blueberries, all forms of yeast, cinnamon, cod, oysters, flounder, black pepper and beef. My doctor had me exclude all of them for a year as well as the foods in the related food family and then add them back in one at a time. I was able to put many of them back in, but on a very limited basis (like maybe once a week or so). I am still unable to tolerate Beef and casein as well as yeast (no GF bread or beer for me) The whole cow is a big problem. I can't get many vaccines (tetanus for example) because they are grown in a bovine casein medium. Last tetanus shot put me in the hospital. People tell me I am deprived, but I finally have a life and feel so much better. One man's food is another man's poison![/quote]

I just found this message board on gluten. I am gluten and lactose intolerant, took blood tests. Mine showed a sensitivity, was not an allergy test. Soon as I went on the diet, I started dropping weight and feeling better.

June 30th will be our 3rd cruise on Carnival, I've had excellent luck as well with their service and understanding on my issues. I love ice cream, it doesn't love me. I have my issues listed in my portfolio when I booked. When we go to the dining room they already know. I also, select my dinners from the table the night before. I have had some luck with gluten defense pills I've bought at the health food store. I don't take them often, if I'm eating out and not sure whats in my food, I take a couple pills before eating. The pills are enzymes that help me digest the wheat and dairy. I'm lucky my problem is a sensitivity and nothing serious as celiac. I can't imagine and feel sorry for those who have it that serious.

I also have the egg whites for breakfast, with gluten free bread. It does get old explaining to people. My hats off to Carnival for their understanding.

Archived