55 Cruise Passengers robbed at gunpoint - St Lucia

Looks like even the cruise organsied trips are getting targeted, this one last week on Celebrity Cruises.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/9994365/Cruise-passengers-robbed-at-gunpoint-in-St-Lucia.html

Someone onboard put this message up on here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826860

Oh my goodness - you would think you would be safe in a group of that size. Given the number of tourists in the Caribbean I suppose it's a very small number but quite worrying nevertheless. It's not much consolation looking at the stats if it's you who is involved! Likely to be quite traumatising and may affect those people in terms of their confidence and willingness to travel in the future.

Cosol took us to this Botanical Garden as part of his tour which was one of our best ever and most memorable excursions. How sad for those in the tourist industry which is such a big part of their economy. It's very bad press for them too.

Someone was attacked on a ship's trip in Havana when we were on the Braemar. Her bag was stolen and the lady fell and broke her hip. We went round on the open top bus and felt quite safe, and when we got back to the ship and heard about the attack we were really surprised.

I suppose if you live somewhere like that and see people coming off the ships laden with money and jewellery, you could become bitter. But, if this continues and the cruise companies decide not to visit certain places, people will lose the income from cruise passengers, which will impact on their standard of living even more.

This incident, and the state of the poor horses near the docks, would put me off visiting Havana again.

Very similar thing happened at the waterfalls in St Lucia not so long ago.

St Lucia is definately not my favourite place. Its just a super hyped image extremely well sold by the tourist board but the reality of it is very different behind the facade. I am sure the tourist board and government are making all the right noises to minimise the damage :rolleyes:

Terrible ordeal for all involved, very sad to hear this news

Archived