Am I tipping enough?

Chileancruiser

On my most recent cruise my DW and I used YTD, for the first time and loved it. We left a $4 tip for the waiter each night since we didn't know who we would get. I like getting good service and have no issues in paying it but my question to the board is that tip enough per table (a couple) per night = $28 bucks by the end of the cruise?

Your input is appreciated.

Chile

Best thing to do is just leave the tips on your Sail and Sign card. Those tips will be shared with the crew. If you want to tip anyone extra, then give them some money at the end of the cruise.

On my most recent cruise my DW and I used YTD, for the first time and loved it. We left a $4 tip for the waiter each night since we didn't know who we would get. I like getting good service and have no issues in paying it but my question to the board is that tip enough per table (a couple) per night = $28 bucks by the end of the cruise?

Your input is appreciated.

Chile

In America, no. In 3rd world poverty countries, yes.

plus auto tips?

Oh yeah with the auto-tips.

I used to tip our waiter $20 bucks when we had scheduled Early Seating dining. I felt these guys worked just as hard as our original waiter on the first cruise and they shouldn't be forgotten about. $20 bucks on our last cruise doesn't divide so evenly when divided by 7. So I just bumped up by a buck to make it $4 bucks a night. I'm trying to be considerate of those taking care of me.

Oh yeah with the auto-tips.

I used to tip our waiter $20 bucks when we had scheduled Early Seating dining. I felt these guys worked just as hard as our original waiter on the first cruise and they shouldn't be forgotten about. $20 bucks on our last cruise doesn't divide so evenly when divided by 7. So I just bumped up by a buck to make it $4 bucks a night. I'm trying to be considerate of those taking care of me.

That's very nice of you and I agree they work very hard. Rather than carrying all those ones around, you could just got to Guest Services and increase your tip to the wait staff by whatever amount you'd like.

That's very nice of you and I agree they work very hard. Rather than carrying all those ones around, you could just got to Guest Services and increase your tip to the wait staff by whatever amount you'd like.

Would it go to the waiter that served me?

I don't want to do that... last time these guys rocked! I want them to get what they usually get then some.

Please tip extra directly to those who treat you well. Why award waiters/staff who are getting high or whatnot and don't contribute to your received good service?

Would it go to the waiter that served me?

I can't say that with certainty. I know they know what table you ate at so they know who served you. I'm just thinking what a pain it would be to carry around ones all the time. But, I'm female and don't often have pockets. You probably always have pockets so it may not be a big deal to you.

it's just refreshing t hear someone worried about not tipping enough after reading so many threads where people try to get out of tipping!

OP - if you'll recall - when you went to the dining room every night on YTD, you had to 'check in' and they assigned you to a table/wait staff. Therefore, even if you had a different wait staff every night, they were always 'assgned' as your waitstaff that night, and therefore, the tips for that night were assigned to them. So, autotips DO go to your assigned waitstaff when you use YTD/ATD dining. No worries! You did a great thing by tipping above and beyond!

Please tip extra directly to those who treat you well. Why award waiters/staff who are getting high or whatnot and don't contribute to your received good service?

This was my goal.

I can't say that with certainty. I know they know what table you ate at so they know who served you. I'm just thinking what a pain it would be to carry around ones all the time. But, I'm female and don't often have pockets. You probably always have pockets so it may not be a big deal to you.

it's just refreshing t hear someone worried about not tipping enough after reading so many threads where people try to get out of tipping!

You are right I do carry the pockets. But I also have a DW that coordinates most of the details of our vacations down to the tipping of the porters.

Sounds like you know the answer to your question. Kudos to you and have a great time! :)

Thank you for your input.

When I placed my post, I was under the belief that what I was doing was the norm. Now reading other threads I realize not so much. But I will continue to do what I do because of what someone else mentioned that was useful on a different thread. The idea was, to see if you have a good waiter in the YTD section to just request him/her when you come back every night and take care of them as they take of you.

Thank you for your input.

When I placed my post, I was under the belief that what I was doing was the norm. Now reading other threads I realize not so much. But I will continue to do what I do because of what someone else mentioned that was useful on a different thread. The idea was, to see if you have a good waiter in the YTD section to just request him/her when you come back every night and take care of them as they take of you.

Exactly. Rock on!

OP - if you'll recall - when you went to the dining room every night on YTD' date=' you had to 'check in' and they assigned you to a table/wait staff. Therefore, even if you had a different wait staff every night, they were always 'assgned' as your waitstaff that night, and therefore, the tips for that night were assigned to them. So, autotips DO go to your assigned waitstaff when you use YTD/ATD dining. No worries! You did a great thing by tipping above and beyond![/quote']

Good answer. I believe Carnival would make sure the wait staff that served you gets the extra tip.

For YTD I recommend asking for the same waiter each night if he/she's a good one and then tipping them in cash at the last dinner service you go to if their service is above and beyond.

We leave the auto tips on- but if we feel the waiter, bar waiter, room steward goes above and beyond with our family of 5, we make envelopes and put cash in it and it goes directly into their hands from us.

I know everyone that helps out behind the scenes deserves tips too-this is why we leave the auto tips on. But as for the cash- we make sure we give it to those who directly made our vacation enjoyable/memorable.I compare it to getting a haircut/color/perm or going to a restaurant here in the states. There is a standard " acceptable" tip rate of approx. 10-15% that is expected- but for those who go above and beyond-there is always that little bit "extra" to be left to show your appreciation.

You did just fine. Auto tips and giving the "extra" to who you thought deserved it most. I am sure it was greatly appreciated.

HTH

Good answer. I believe Carnival would make sure the wait staff that served you gets the extra tip.

And so would those waiters. Imagine being staffed there and that's where you get screwed. I'm sure they have the full operation working exactly as they need it to be.

OP - if you'll recall - when you went to the dining room every night on YTD' date=' you had to 'check in' and they assigned you to a table/wait staff. Therefore, even if you had a different wait staff every night, they were always 'assgned' as your waitstaff that night, and therefore, the tips for that night were assigned to them. So, autotips DO go to your assigned waitstaff when you use YTD/ATD dining. No worries! You did a great thing by tipping above and beyond![/quote']

Right answer!

Sorry conspiracy theory folks. This IS how it works in YTD.

OP: Tipping is up to you and you can anything to whoever you wish but the waiter that served you that evening did receive their tip.

Take care,

Mike

Right answer!

Sorry conspiracy theory folks. This IS how it works in YTD.

OP: Tipping is up to you and you can anything to whoever you wish but the waiter that served you that evening did receive their tip.

Take care,

Mike

Being you seem to be in the know, who gets the tip on the nights you might skip the MDR for any reason?

We do YTD as well and both times we cruised Carnival, we asked to sit in the same section as the waiter we get on the first (well, really second night). At the end of the cruise, we usually give them an extra $20-$30 depending on service, and we also tip the asst waiter as well as the drink waiter (even though we don't drink and never order from the drink waiter). My BF used to be a mover and a lot of times survived off of tips and so we know how much it means to the crew. We don't mind tipping a little extra to make up for those that don't tip at all. :)

Archived