Am I tipping enough?

Chileancruiser

On my most recent cruise my DW and I used YTD, for the first time and loved it. We left a $4 tip for the waiter each night since we didn't know who we would get. I like getting good service and have no issues in paying it but my question to the board is that tip enough per table (a couple) per night = $28 bucks by the end of the cruise?

Your input is appreciated.

Chile

I'm going to say no. You left a $4 tip per couple each dinner. Assume you tip 15% when you eat out- that means you thought your dinner was worth about $13 each. Think of where you can get a $13 dinner- do you really think Carnival's service is the same as that? Tipping $2 per person for a dinner is really low. Some people tip that for a bartender just handing them a drink!

What did you tip at breakfast and lunch?

Just leave the auto-tips on. When you are seated for anytime dining, they get a reciept with your room number on it. The tip for the day goes to your server.

I'm going to say no. You left a $4 tip per couple each dinner. Assume you tip 15% when you eat out- that means you thought your dinner was worth about $13 each. Think of where you can get a $13 dinner- do you really think Carnival's service is the same as that? Tipping $2 per person for a dinner is really low. Some people tip that for a bartender just handing them a drink!

Just leave the auto-tips on. It is $5.80 per day to dining staff, which covers the people who work all the meals. When you are seated for anytime dining, they get a reciept with your room number on it. The tip for the day goes to your server.

I left the auto tip on and tipped on top of that.

I left the auto tip on and tipped on top of that.

Oh, then pardon me. Yes, I think your tips were fine, and generous. I would say most people do not tip each night at anytime dining. We only do if it is extraordinary, since they are already receiving a tip.

Just leave the auto-tips on. When you are seated for anytime dining, they get a reciept with your room number on it. The tip for the day goes to your server.

Actually, the tips do come to less than $2 when you simply leave the auto tips on. It's 5.80 per person per day for 3 service meals. Get your guzintas out.

Please tip extra directly to those who treat you well. Why award waiters/staff who are getting high or whatnot and don't contribute to your received good service?

I agree with the tipping directly...BUT..the comment about crew gettin high or what not is rude and uncalled for. They barely have time to sleep much less spend time partying with drugs.

If you have any time dining, it is better to "extra tip" with cash. We tried to do it at guest services once and they said if we went through them our extra amount would get divided amoung everyone we had for the week. So we went to the ATM and got a cash tip for the server we sat with almost all cruise.

OP - if you'll recall - when you went to the dining room every night on YTD' date=' you had to 'check in' and they assigned you to a table/wait staff. Therefore, even if you had a different wait staff every night, they were always 'assgned' as your waitstaff that night, and therefore, the tips for that night were assigned to them. So, autotips DO go to your assigned waitstaff when you use YTD/ATD dining. No worries! You did a great thing by tipping above and beyond![/quote']

Yep! This is right. Anyone that has done YTD will know that by third night they will ask you ' did you enjoy your service last night with Gorge? He has a table available.' That way to if you have issue - they know who it was with. If they don't fill their section or turn their tables over then they don't earn as many tips. I felt like YTD were a step down from set dining time servers . (hierarchy) you know you have a good server based on their other duties. If they serve high tea - good one. Serving on lido breakfast- lower verses serving breakfast in dining room.

I agree with the tipping directly...BUT..the comment about crew gettin high or what not is rude and uncalled for. They barely have time to sleep much less spend time partying with drugs.

If you read any of the behind the scenes books it sounds like they are all drunk all the time in their off time, which is fine I guess... They get drug tested though, so I doubt they'd risk that.

I would be inclined to think if anyone has the time off it would be the "professional" and "entertainment" people. The crew for meals, cabins, and upkeep work a whole lot longer hours for alot less $$$

Archived