April 7, 2013 Freedom of the Seas picture review - 2nd Cruise and 1st time Royal

My hubby and I loved the Mongolian Wok on the Dream, is there anything similar to that on FOS? We are drooling over your pics knowing that next April we will be able to see it all for ourselves.

Thankyou

I never even tried the Mongolian Wok on the Dream, I'll have to next time! I know in the Windjammer there was a section called Jade that always had Asian food, and people were constantly standing there cooking, but I don't think it was a "made to order" kinda thing like Mongolian Wok. They have sushi at dinner in the Jade section of Windjammer, but it wasn't near as good as the Dream's sushi bar! Carnival wins that one!

I never even tried the Mongolian Wok on the Dream, I'll have to next time! I know in the Windjammer there was a section called Jade that always had Asian food, and people were constantly standing there cooking, but I don't think it was a "made to order" kinda thing like Mongolian Wok. They have sushi at dinner in the Jade section of Windjammer, but it wasn't near as good as the Dream's sushi bar! Carnival wins that one!

Thanks for your quick reply...will have to check out the Jade then...

We were scheduled to be in port today from 8am-5pm so we had another fun excursion planned. I get a lot of questions about my excursions, as I DO NOT book cruiseline sponsored excursions. People always say "aren't you scared you'll get left?" and the answer is no, I'm not. I do extensive research before booking my trips and have total confidence in my decisions. I've never had a bad or scary experience and I always think I get a great deal! Anyway, with that being said today I was booked with Captain Alan, and it was a gorgeous day!

See how nice the weather was?! Check out the twins in port!

48125_10100868905483571_2102968155_n.jpg

Our other neighbors in port! I must say, both days (St. Thomas and St. Maarten) there were several ships and port, but I was surprised at how not crowded it felt! I was nervous about this as my first cruise we were the only ship in port at all the ports. They really know how to handle a lot of traffic!

541866_10100868905668201_758229845_n.jpg

We walked about 1 minute and found where we were to meet our driver (we had prearranged transport for this excursion). We waited around 15-20 minutes (we were early) and then we all loaded into a van and headed to Oyster Bay. Jon and I were the only people in the group doing the 6 hour tour, everyone else was only doing the 4.

We arrived to oyster bay and checked in. The 4 hour tour left first. Jon and I met Carmen and Carl who were from NJ, they were staying at the Oyster Bay Resort and were coming with us on our 6 hour trip. We had to wait around a little longer for the last of our group. There was a bad car accident on the Dutch side where they were staying so the taxi driver for them called as they were running late. They made it (a family of 4 from Augusta, GA - super nice family!) and we were off with our guide for the day, Francois.

This is Oyster Bay Marina - the resort is just there to the right. It looks like a great place to stay with the marina and the nice beach on the other side!

562461_10100868906202131_1866620983_n.jpg

We were in a nice sized boat, which was kinda speed-boatish like. I know nothing about boats, so I could be way off! Francois told us the first 15 minutes of the ride would be wild, and he wasn't lying. Jon said "this is on that fine line between being fun and scary" haha. I had my gopro out and was filming some of the ride, but then the boat started jumping waves and in the video you see me throw my camera down in my lap and turn it off real fast! I could just see myself losing my brand new camera on this crazy boat ride!

After our fun ride out we arrived to Tintamarre Island to snorkel with turtles and rays, and to enjoy the beautiful beach. Francois "parked" us, and off we went. Wow, I was amazed. The water was crystal clear, and I saw so many turtles I lost count! I had my gopro chest strap on and when I watch the video back there are times where I swim up on 5 turtles at a time! It was amazing! I also found a beautiful spotted eagle ray that I filmed for a while!

After snorkeling for a long time and seeing so many turtles I started looking around for Jon. I didn't see him so I swam up to the boat and Francois told me Jon had already headed for the beach. He said go wait there and I'll drive up and we'll all have more drinks and snacks before moving on. Ok! I spot Jon and swim up and he's grinning. He says calmly "this is a nude beach". I don't mean topless...I mean NUDE. No offense either here, but they were all really old, it was really funny. We had a good laugh and then continued about enjoying this beautiful beach. Before too long Francois and the others joined us and we all had more beer and rum punch (which was tasty) and a few snacks. It was a nice time. Here are some still pictures from Tintamarre (no nudes I promise). I have more footage of the beach and snorkeling I'll post in my big video I'm working on.

Tintamarre Island

24645_10100868906601331_1038329255_n.jpg

529557_10100868906790951_790832204_n.jpg

555157_10100868906980571_1434238608_n.jpg

More to come from Day 5!

We were sad to leave Tintamarre, but excited to see our next snorkel spot, a reef! We had a quick boat ride there, and soon we were all back out in the water exploring again! Again, I sound like a broken record, I promise you'll get to see some great underwater video when I'm finished!

Leaving Tintamarre

483638_10100868907170191_713143521_n.jpg

This is where we "parked" to snorkel

544196_10100868907190151_1589164342_n.jpg

149043_10100868908542441_748117604_n.jpg

I was really surprised how clear the water was even though it was slightly choppy. The reef was very nice and there was plenty to see. My favorite part of snorkeling is seeing the beautiful coral formations. I enjoy the fish too, but the colors of the coral really catch my eye!

After snorkeling we were getting hungry so we headed to our final stop of the day, Pinel Island!

Paradise!!! These people were from another tour group that was leaving as we arrived, perfect timing!

541376_10100868909280961_653945116_n.jpg

Francois layed out the lunch buffet! We had fruit salad, chips, salsa, and sandwiches. The salami sandwich with cheese and apples was the BEST. I ate 3, I know... Of course the drinks were still flowing and rum punch is a personal fave of mine. It was nice, the water was super shallow so I hopped in the water and had Jon pass me my food, then we all held each others while everyone else came down. We had a nice little picnic right there in the water and chatted. We stayed here for a long time, and didn't want to leave. Poor Jon was having so much fun he got ROASTED. 2nd degree burns on the shoulders. He was so worried about his back burning while snorkeling he completely ignored his shoulders. Needless to say I've already ordered him a UV skin shirt like I wear for next time.

More pictures from Pinel Island!

149021_10100868908687151_1573725207_n.jpg

561845_10100868908437651_1148913342_n.jpg

More pictures to come from Pinel!

A few more pictures from Pinel Island!

58979_10100868909340841_957560185_n.jpg

7556_10100868909939641_1617450381_n.jpg

We headed back to the ship around 4:00 since all aboard was 4:30, we made it back on about 4:25! We were so sad our days in port were finished, but we had 2 more sea days to enjoy on this beautiful ship. We headed upstairs for fresh towels and watch sailaway.

Beautiful view leaving St. Maarten

644626_10100868911865781_307410468_n.jpg

20808_10100868911341831_378634578_n.jpg

We started getting ready for dinner around 6, and went to the ice show at 7. This was a decent show. A lot of people complained though that Royal never seems to change the shows. They were all new to me so I didn't mind, but I would imagine that they could get "old" after a while! We actually left the ice show early because we were STARVING. Since we couldn't wait any longer for dinner we went up to the Jammer and grabbed a few bites of sushi. The sushi was just ok, Carnival Dream wins in the sushi department hands down.

Dinner tonight was good as always! Rick and Tammy cruise Royal a lot, and they seemed to really enjoy the new menus. They commented how they were getting tired of the old ones. I didn't have a bad meal all week! Apparently the formal nights were once on this night, but luckily for us ours was on Friday, a non port day. I really enjoyed this so there wasn't so much rush to get ready.

I had the cream of mushroom soup, crab cake, and a caesar salad with the braised beef duo for dinner. It was very good. Jon had the crab cake and the pasta for dinner (he had filled his plate FULL of food in the Jammer a few minutes ago!). For dessert he had the rum baba and loved it, and I had the cherries jubilee (simple and good!).

Not going to lie, we were exhausted so we called it a night not too long after dinner. We had 2 more days to explore the ship so we didn't feel too bad about turning in by 10:30!

Gorgeous shot of the solarium at night - I think the ships are beautiful with all the lights on.

17791_10100868912689131_232725355_n.jpg

We had a monkey in our room tonight!

382990_10100868912868771_2004901434_n.jpg

Tomorrow was our 2nd sea day, and we were signed up for the "all access tour" so we needed our rest!

Up next, Day 6 - 2nd Sea Day and All Access Tour!

Your pictures from St. Martin are amazing!! The color of the water takes my breath away!! Can't wait for my turn in 30 days!!

Thanks!! I'm so jealous, have a great time!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys! There are still 2 more sea days coming up, but it will probably be Monday before I'm back. Thanks for reading and leaving feedback, I appreciate it!

Lol, oh my goodness! The tour on St.Marteen looks wonderful! I'm going to add it to my "in the future" files and :D I cracked up about the giggles on the nude beach! I came away from Orient feeling pretty good about my ta-tas! Now if I could just get over my momma belly, i might come away with less tan lines to even out once home! :p I swear I saw a lot of :eek: flapping pancakes walking down the beach! I might have giggled a time or two myself! Great review, now back to reading! EAKKKKKK! 4:25?! Does Capt. Allen have a shorter excursion??? Dang, way to close for my comfort! Oh the joy of being young! ;)

Great review and pictures! Thanks for sharing. Your room is within a couple of the one I have booked in November. Can't wait to be on the Freedom!

Thank you! Have a great trip on the Freedom! I enjoyed reading your live Jewel report. Loved the way it looks and now I'm ready to try a smaller ship!

Love love love your unbridled enthusiasm and happiness over your vacation! You seem like such a fun person. Thank you for this review and sharing such a genuine and honest recount of your trip! I can't concentrate on my work for over 40 days until my cruise on the Freedom! :p

T

I have really enjoyed reading your review. My husband and I will be going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on FOS in October. Reviews like this makes the time go by faster.. Thank you so much!!!:)

Thanks for reading! Have a great trip! I agree reading reviews gets me so excited about my next trips too!

Lol, oh my goodness! The tour on St.Marteen looks wonderful! I'm going to add it to my "in the future" files and :D I cracked up about the giggles on the nude beach! I came away from Orient feeling pretty good about my ta-tas! Now if I could just get over my momma belly, i might come away with less tan lines to even out once home! :p I swear I saw a lot of :eek: flapping pancakes walking down the beach! I might have giggled a time or two myself! Great review, now back to reading! EAKKKKKK! 4:25?! Does Capt. Allen have a shorter excursion??? Dang, way to close for my comfort! Oh the joy of being young! ;)

Hahaha it was a lot of fun!! Jons face was priceless, he's hilarious anyway so he had some good commentary too that is not online appropriate! You should check out Captain Alans 4 hour tour that way you'd be back in plenty of time for shopping. That's the only issue with our excursions, no shopping time since they were all day trips. Probably a good thing though...on my first cruise we had time to shop some and I bought everything hehe!

Love love love your unbridled enthusiasm and happiness over your vacation! You seem like such a fun person. Thank you for this review and sharing such a genuine and honest recount of your trip! I can't concentrate on my work for over 40 days until my cruise on the Freedom! :p

T

Aww thanks! A bad vacation to me is staying home! I consider myself fortunate to be able to travel so I always enjoy myself. Jons such a fun person too and neither of us meet a stranger, so cruising is a fantastic way for us to travel. Thanks again for your nice words!

loving your review!!!

thanks for taking the time to share it with us!! :)

by the way, has Jon tried sea bands for seasickness?

if acupuncture works on him, then the sea bands should as well since they work by acupressure.

They're a miracle for me!!!

the moment i stepped on the disney dream last october i was sick...

i put on the sea bands about an hour later (when we got into our room) and within 5 minutes i was fine!

and they even worked when we sailed through hurricane Sandy!!! the ship was beyond rocking and rolling and i felt fine throughout!!

they're magical!!

loving your review!!!

thanks for taking the time to share it with us!! :)

by the way, has Jon tried sea bands for seasickness?

if acupuncture works on him, then the sea bands should as well since they work by acupressure.

They're a miracle for me!!!

the moment i stepped on the disney dream last october i was sick...

i put on the sea bands about an hour later (when we got into our room) and within 5 minutes i was fine!

and they even worked when we sailed through hurricane Sandy!!! the ship was beyond rocking and rolling and i felt fine throughout!!

they're magical!!

Thanks for reading! No, but we will try that first next time now that I've heard several say they've had good luck with them. Thanks for the tip!

I would love to try Carnival's Half Moon, ya know,for comparisons! :D I see you did the Breeze to Tortola and all, how was that? I've been looking at that cruise. I also really like the Dream's new itineraries they have planned. Thanks for reading!

Half Moon must be the nicest Priv. Island out there...great for kids, adults, etc.

Just Paradise.

Tortola was nice, but a short day as it always is. We had rain in the morning so has a later start at that..we just did a beach day but wanted to do The Baths if there was more time

Half Moon must be the nicest Priv. Island out there...great for kids, adults, etc.

Just Paradise.

Tortola was nice, but a short day as it always is. We had rain in the morning so has a later start at that..we just did a beach day but wanted to do The Baths if there was more time

Thanks for the info! I'll def have to plan a trip that goes to Half Moon. Aren't the renovating? I've seen posts lately about Carnival using RC's island.

Archived