Report on dive with Blue Island St Thomas coming soon.

BillOh

I 'm in the final countdown! Two weeks from now I'll be finishing my first open water dive since certification with Blue Island in St Thomas. I will do an entire cruise review in the Royal Caribbean forum, but I will probably do a mini-report here, this very thread!

Till then, feel free to add any comments or questions, I' killing time anyway! I did a Discover Scuba in St Thomas in 2011 and loved it. Completed my certification last summer in an Ohio Quarry. I plan on diving once every cruise from now on as I will have my non-diving wife with me.

I'll all set up and confirmed with Blue Island. They have told me there are at least a couple of other divers from Allure coming along. I believe we may be the only ship in port that day. I will probably pay extra to rent a shorty suit. I can probably get away with out it, but for 2 dives, i'd rather err on the warm side.

WATCH THIS SPACE

Did you go down to Centerville for cert dives? We used to dive there when living in Cincinnati. Congratulations on completeing the course!!

Circleville actually, its closer to Columbus. Seems to be a popular place for central and south central Ohio divers.

Circleville actually, its closer to Columbus. Seems to be a popular place for central and south central Ohio divers.

I have dove in Gilboa Quarry a couple times since by BIL lives approx 6 mile away. Its always cold and vis is just somewhat. I will research Columbus sites since my other BIL is moving to the area.

Enjoy your cruise and first/second Open water dives.

John

• 2 weeks later...
please follow CC guidelines in posting a review.. it MUST be in response to a post asking for information...enjoy the cruise and diving!

BillOh I will be diving St Thomas in August...please tell me how you dive trip went as I am interested in which operators to use during my cruise.

Thanks

BillOh I will be diving St Thomas in August...please tell me how you dive trip went as I am interested in which operators to use during my cruise.

Thanks

Had a great time! I'll have some details in my main review. I'll post a link here when I get that far.

The only negative thing was my Sealife Camera I bought when I got certified, didn't make it to below sea level. I tried it out in the pool before I left, but as I was suiting up I clipped it onto my BCD and forgot about it till I jumped off the boat. I think the shock of hitting the water cracked the door where the batteries are and the camera filled up with water. Im hoping one of the other divers that had a GOPRO will send me her video.

Yep, always have the crew hand you your camera once you're in the water. The only other way is to do a giant stride and twist in the air so you land on your tanks and protect the camera by holding it tightly against you.

Yep, always have the crew hand you your camera once you're in the water. The only other way is to do a giant stride and twist in the air so you land on your tanks and protect the camera by holding it tightly against you.

That's a $250 lesson learned. Your avatar reminded me. We did see a nice sized sea turtle swim right through our group.

I shot that last August in St. Thomas while diving the Concrete Boat wreck. He popped out right in front of me at about 80 feet deep.

I haven't been back to Blue Island's website where they list their dive sites, but this one was called FLAT key. The turtle came up from around 65 feet right past us. I could have got some great shots if I had a camera. Still hoping to see the video if the other diver's email it to me and didn't lose my address. I'll soon be planning next year's dive.

Archived