If snorkeling - take fish food

Beth & Rob

I've been to St. Thomas before and snorkeled at Coki Beach. If you rent equipment they give you big milk bones to feed the fish. Now of course we know that's not good for the fish so this past week I decided to take a big can of fishfood pellets. I placed them in a ziplock and stuck them in my suit.

We got out in the water and swam closer to the rocks where typically you find more fish. I pulled the food out and water had seeped in, but that was fine. I opened the top a bit and let a handful of pellets out. The fish went CRAZY... Where they've been en masse with the milkbones, this time they were so thick we could hardly see through them.

They kept following us and I'd let the food out a bit at a time, trying to get everyone in on the action.

It was quite enjoyable and I'm certain healthier for the fish.

Beth: The problem with feeding fish in the wild is that it changes their feeding behavior. You might be there today and tomorrow, but if they get accustomed to being fed and then suddenly no one is there, what happens to the population? It is always best just to swim quietly and observe. :)

These fish are right next to Coral World---they get feed---I was just there 2 weeks ago and also brought my own food for them--Whats wrong with a little snack...lol-----It was wonderful snorkeling!! Great place to go for the day!! I did not go into Coral World however I did venture up the steps where the bar was and saw 2 really cool big iguanas!! Bring your gear!! We took a bus for 2 bucks each---a 15 minute walk to the beach from the bus stop!!:cool:

Beth: The problem with feeding fish in the wild is that it changes their feeding behavior. You might be there today and tomorrow, but if they get accustomed to being fed and then suddenly no one is there, what happens to the population? It is always best just to swim quietly and observe. :)

You do have a absolutely valid argument. But I would guess that this type of behaviors does not happen often enough to be making a huge impact on the course of nature.

I find it interesting that this concept to protect the environment is coming up on a pro-cruise website. Calculate how much hydrocarbon fuel gets converted to CO2 per cruise and feeding fish don't even qualify for statistical rounding error for environmental sustainability.

Interesting what platform some decide to judge others.

I go on cruises and feed the fish. I must be a bad person.

I’d like to jump in here with a thought. First of all I do not think of anyone who feeds fish as being a “bad person”. I do however believe that the conditioning that occurs with this action is not healthy for either fish or snorkelers. While on vacation I personally, was bitten by a fish while snorkeling in an area where fish had previously been fed. (I live in the USVI – it was not here. I choose NOT to snorkel at beaches here where I know feeding occurs.) I am an experience snorkeler and the bite was not serious but it did surprise and momentarily disorient me. My primary concern is that fish conditioned this way bite indiscriminately and the next person approached might be a child. Many visitors to the VI introduce their children to snorkeling at one of our lovely beaches. I would hate for a child to be traumatized or worse as a result of an unfortunate encounter.

I am not condemning or passing judgment on anyone but I am asking anyone considering this action to think not only about themselves but also other snorkelers that will follow them. I want everyone to have a wonderful, exciting and safe experience. :)

I’d like to jump in here with a thought. First of all I do not think of anyone who feeds fish as being a “bad person”. I do however believe that the conditioning that occurs with this action is not healthy for either fish or snorkelers. While on vacation I personally, was bitten by a fish while snorkeling in an area where fish had previously been fed. (I live in the USVI – it was not here. I choose NOT to snorkel at beaches here where I know feeding occurs.) I am an experience snorkeler and the bite was not serious but it did surprise and momentarily disorient me. My primary concern is that fish conditioned this way bite indiscriminately and the next person approached might be a child. Many visitors to the VI introduce their children to snorkeling at one of our lovely beaches. I would hate for a child to be traumatized or worse as a result of an unfortunate encounter.

I am not condemning or passing judgment on anyone but I am asking anyone considering this action to think not only about themselves but also other snorkelers that will follow them. I want everyone to have a wonderful, exciting and safe experience. :)

Very well said. I don't think it's judgmental to say that something might not be a good idea, and you've pointed out some good reasons why. We will likely take our youngest two kids snorkeling in St. Thomas in January, and I would be pretty irate if one of them was bitten because someone else was feeding the fish nearby. And depending on the severity of the bite, it would probably not be a pretty scene for the feeder. ;)

Yes, cruise ships intrude upon the environments in which they travel. So do cars, planes, bicycles, people in general... I still believe it's best to leave nature alone as much as possible when you reach your destination.

These fish are right next to Coral World---they get feed---I was just there 2 weeks ago and also brought my own food for them--Whats wrong with a little snack...lol-----It was wonderful snorkeling!! Great place to go for the day!! I did not go into Coral World however I did venture up the steps where the bar was and saw 2 really cool big iguanas!! Bring your gear!! We took a bus for 2 bucks each---a 15 minute walk to the beach from the bus stop!!:cool:

can you give me information on the bus you took please as i will be going to coki beach from the port you said it was 2 dollars thats awesome where do you catch this bus at and where do you get off.

I go on cruises and feed the fish. I must be a bad person.

Not a bad person and I dont see anyone judging you. they are just stating the problems it can cause.

My advice is Just be careful. Nothing like a four foot long barracuda shooting through your group like a bolt of lightning while going after the fish you are feeding.

Archived