What to do in Skagway before excursion

gladgirl

Thanks for the link! We will be doing a 3hr hike that afternoon in the Tongass nat'l forest so I'm not sure we'll want to hike that AM but I would like to know if there are things near the port/in town that people consider 'don't miss' things.

Thanks!

Thanks for the link! We will be doing a 3hr hike that afternoon in the Tongass nat'l forest so I'm not sure we'll want to hike that AM but I would like to know if there are things near the port/in town that people consider 'don't miss' things.

Thanks!

You may want to look into more details about the "hike". Most of the inside passage is "Tongass National Forrest", so that "term", really means nothing. If it's not private, it also may be very limited.

There are plenty of "don't miss", depending on interests.

The National Park Service offers a free walk thru town. I have heard the topics depend on what the Ranger wants to discuss. Sounds pretty low key as far as physical exertion. The tours last about a hour and is free. First come first serve on tickets. I think they open at 8AM and the first tour leaves at 9am, then 10am, 11am is probably the last you'd want to try. We are going to Alaska in May and are hoping to take one of the tours. Have fun!

Definitely walk around town. There's a nice Christmas shop in town. Nice little bookshop. And there is Skagway Brewing company. Nice place for a snack, a rootbeer or a beer. Lots of fun little things to see in Skagway.

The town is easy to walk - and you never know what you might find. I say it again and again - Skagway is my favorite town on the Inside Passage itinerary.

Is the town walking distance from the ship, doing an excursion but would like to shop in the town when we return

Yes, if you have no mobility limitations. From the farthest RR dock, allow 15 minutes. Ship excursions leave from the ship, but independents usually leave from the end of the dock, or in the case of an independent helicopter tour- you have to make your own way there.

The National Park Service offers a free walk thru town. I have heard the topics depend on what the Ranger wants to discuss. Sounds pretty low key as far as physical exertion. The tours last about a hour and is free. First come first serve on tickets. I think they open at 8AM and the first tour leaves at 9am, then 10am, 11am is probably the last you'd want to try. We are going to Alaska in May and are hoping to take one of the tours. Have fun!

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

If anyone wants to take a walking tour- my information above, then you need to get there shortly after they open, as they only take about 25 people, and the tickets are all gone for the day, early. There is usually a ranger talk, in the morning, so you may also want to avoid that time for a walking tour. The movie is worth while, shown throughout the day, and a few exhibits. The building is the old train depot, located on Broadway and Second.

The visitor center also has a walking tour to consider http://www.skagway.com

Yes, if you have no mobility limitations. From the farthest RR dock, allow 15 minutes. Ship excursions leave from the ship, but independents usually leave from the end of the dock, or in the case of an independent helicopter tour- you have to make your own way there.

Is the walk through a safe area?

You could walk or take a bus or trolley to the cemetery and up to Lower Reid Falls.

7342814966_47366af298.jpg

Lower Reid Falls, Skagway, AK by ikirumata, on Flickr

Aside from the shop area, Skagway is not a very pretty town. Kinda trashy actually. We didn't have an excursion and we decided to walk around. While the area around the shops are nice and touristy, a couple blocks over and you get houses with lots of trash in the yard, toilet planters, old trucks with flat tires... However, that being said, I never felt unsafe.

Is the walk through a safe area?

I'm a New Yorker, so, coming from a different perspective- no fear. :) But there is no place in Alaska, where I have even remotely felt the willies.

But Skagway is completely "safe".

Archived