VIP Boarding

madgally

Does NCL still not allow Mini Suite guests to board in the VIP section. Since school isn't starting until September 9th this year I thought I would try the GEM the first week of September (if they have enough kids booked or I will cancel - can't bring kids if it will all be seniors - wouldn't be fun for us or them).

I have only taken Carnival and Royal Carribean and they always board me with VIP. I book Ocean Suites on Carnival (same as mini on NCL) and Mini Suites on Royal and we always get VIP.

There isn't a chance in **** that I would wait hours in line to check in. I do know that NCL will probably not throw us off the VIP line, espically with me in a wheelchair, but my husband thinks we shouldn't support such stupid rules.

HAVE they changed their rules? I really want to take the Breakaway next summer (this summer the GEM) but this is going to be a major issue.....

Does NCL still not allow Mini Suite guests to board in the VIP section. Since school isn't starting until September 9th this year I thought I would try the GEM the first week of September (if they have enough kids booked or I will cancel - can't bring kids if it will all be seniors - wouldn't be fun for us or them).

I have only taken Carnival and Royal Carribean and they always board me with VIP. I book Ocean Suites on Carnival (same as mini on NCL) and Mini Suites on Royal and we always get VIP.

There isn't a chance in **** that I would wait hours in line to check in. I do know that NCL will probably not throw us off the VIP line, espically with me in a wheelchair, but my husband thinks we shouldn't support such stupid rules.

HAVE they changed their rules? I really want to take the Breakaway next summer (this summer the GEM) but this is going to be a major issue.....

Only full suite passengers get access to the suite check in area. Also, I have never, ever waited hours to check in ... ever. It is my understanding there is priority boarding for those needing extra assistance.

If you want priority boarding either pay for a suite or go back to the lines that give it to you. You sound like you feel entitled to something you are not. And you will not be able to get into the VIP. Line for check in to begin with, so no worry about getting kicked off the line.

What we did was arrive late (I think five minutes before they ended boarding) and we were walked all the way through. Also they keep boarding after they say it's over.

This is one of the many reason I stopped using NCL. That and all the extra fees for eating dinner. Their main dinning rooms sucks and unless you have a group your with you have to eat with your family only or different people each day.

I don't quite understand anything you've just said.....except you don't like kids. It is a know fact that an NCL mini suite is not a true suite with suite VIP privileges. So you now know that and will not expect VIP privileges. However, NCL does let persons needing special assistance boarding (wheelchairs), through the non VIP boarding area, board ahead of persons not needing special assistance. And even if you were not given special consideration for using a wheel chair, there is no way you would find yourself ever waiting "hours" to board. Actually, I disagree with your husband and don't think not permitting guests who have NOT PAID for VIP privileges to have those privileges is a "stupid rule". If you actually do, you may just not be happy with NCL and should try another cruise line you like better.

I don't recall seeing a mini-suite on RCCL but they do have a junior suite, which just like NCL's mini-suite gets no privileges - including priority boarding.

I don't think it's very nice to call rules that are made for people who pay ALOT of money for special privileges "stupid".

I would love to buy a full suite, but you can’t get one unless you pay for butler and concierge service. I wouldn’t let the butler in my room and have no use for his or her services. We prefer privacy. I tell the maids on the first night when it’s ok for them to come and give them all instructions so I don’t have to see them the whole trip so no way I could live with a butler bothering us. Concierge is something that wouldn’t help me at all. If I want a reservation on the boat I can pick up the phone.

John is right I do not need special assistance, I use to help with travelling. I have a shock button John and just shock them if they try and push it. You haven’t seen the new one, nobody would try and push it and if they do it locks down.

I don't quite understand anything you've just said.....except you don't like kids. It is a know fact that an NCL mini suite is not a true suite with suite VIP privileges. So you now know that and will not expect VIP privileges. However, NCL does let persons needing special assistance boarding (wheelchairs), through the non VIP boarding area, board ahead of persons not needing special assistance. And even if you were not given special consideration for using a wheel chair, there is no way you would find yourself ever waiting "hours" to board. Actually, I disagree with your husband and don't think not permitting guests who have NOT PAID for VIP privileges to have those privileges is a "stupid rule". If you actually do, you may just not be happy with NCL and should try another cruise line you like better.

It is not kids the OP doesn't like, it is seniors, beause it wouldn't be fun for OP's kids or for the OP.

Not sure if it's a mini suite or a junior suite but was on them last summer from NJ (near NYC) and the year before from Florida and both times we had VIP boarding. I did book both online and that was a deal breaker so it's possible the salesperson did something (used the same one both times), unlikely though......

I tell the maids on the first night when it’s ok for them to come...

Not sure if it's a mini suite or a junior suite but was on them last summer from NJ (near NYC)...

Ships do not have maids; they have stewards. NCL does not sail out of NJ. You may be misremembering.

Oh what I said about kids is I wanted to make sure there was a high percentage of kids travelling the week after Labor Day from NYC. NYC/LI public schools and many surrounding areas are not starting school until Sept. 9th this year due to the Jewish Holidays. I won't travel if there is not alot of kids onboard because our kids would be boarded to death without kids to play with.......

Oh what I said about kids is I wanted to make sure there was a high percentage of kids travelling the week after Labor Day from NYC. NYC/LI public schools and many surrounding areas are not starting school until Sept. 9th this year due to the Jewish Holidays. I won't travel if there is not alot of kids onboard because our kids would be boarded to death without kids to play with.......

Yeah, bored to death by all those seniors.

I would love to buy a full suite, but you can’t get one unless you pay for butler and concierge service. I wouldn’t let the butler in my room and have no use for his or her services. We prefer privacy. I tell the maids on the first night when it’s ok for them to come and give them all instructions so I don’t have to see them the whole trip so no way I could live with a butler bothering us. Concierge is something that wouldn’t help me at all. If I want a reservation on the boat I can pick up the phone.

John is right I do not need special assistance, I use to help with travelling. I have a shock button John and just shock them if they try and push it. You haven’t seen the new one, nobody would try and push it and if they do it locks down.

Wow.

We always book the suites just for the priority boarding, and of course to have access to lounges and areas that are more private.

You don't have to use the butler and concierge.

I don't hate seniors but I want my kids to have kids to play with. We normally travel on school breaks or summer. School breaks often have more kids then adults, it's great that way for the kids and for us..... Seniors are great too and when my kids have all moved out I will gladly travel with them.....

Not sure if it's a mini suite or a junior suite but was on them last summer from NJ (near NYC) and the year before from Florida and both times we had VIP boarding. I did book both online and that was a deal breaker so it's possible the salesperson did something (used the same one both times), unlikely though......

I am Platinum with RCCL, and I get priority boarding no matter what cabin type I book. Is it possible that you are Platinum or higher and maybe that is why you were given priority boarding?

She doesn't need special assistance............ Just because she uses a wheelchair to travel doesn't mean she needs assistance. If they try and push he chair she will get up......

My friend walks with a cane, and he is allowed to board before anyone else - along with the wheelchairs, etc. That is what I meant by "special assistance". It's easier to board when you don't have masses swarming behind you.

You don't have to buy butler and concierge service if you book a suite. It comes automatically at no additional charge. If you prefer no interaction with either, just let them know, as you do with your steward on other lines, and they will honor your request.

Enjoy your cruise, in any case!:D

Archived