Rome Hotel experience?

drcandon

Hi Folks

We are going to book the Voyager, Oct 23 Rome to Venice. I am curious for any who are on or have done this general cruise before what they think of the Intercontinental de la Roma. It is where we are for the pre-night stay and are considering flying in a day earlier (using Regents agenda) and staying an extra night before the cruise. And yes, I asked if I could take a cheaper hotel, but still be under the Regent guidance (so to speak) and for Cat we booked that is the one we have to take, or we suffer the deviation blues. Since this is our first Mediterranean cruise, we are nervous and want to be hand held through it all. So if someone messes up, it won't be us..if you know what I mean..

So I know the price pp is ridiculous.

But does anyone have any experience with the hotel, the location...how far from stuff..like the coliseum.

Any recommendations for dinner?

Anything, please..and thanks

Several years ago we stayed at the Intercontinental before a Seabourn cruise, The location is wonderful...just down the street from the Spanish Steps and the Trivi Fountain. The HOP bus is on the corner. The hotel at the time was very nice (really can't comment on it's current condition.) However, from our recent experience I have found that Regent puts you up in very nice hotels. Maxine

DRCANDON - We are booked on this same cruise, as well. Oct 23 Voyager - Rome to Venice. And we are also really looking forward to it! I'm sure it's going to be great. A very good time of the year and a very comprehensive itinerary. We've been to Italy several times but never "from the sea". We look forward to chatting with you over on the Regent Roll Call thread - when one is established. We chose to arrange our own flights and hotels. We'll be arriving in Rome on the morning of Oct 20 and staying an extra day in venice at the end of the cruise, departing venice on Nov 3. You can go on "TA.com" and read many reviews of the Intercontinental Hotel. It's right downtown in the middle of all the most popular sites. Yes - it's "over the top" expensive, as most places in Rome are - compounding that is when Regent charges you "per person/per night" instead of "per room/per night". We will be staying at the Adriano Hotel for our 3 nights in Rome prior to the cruise. It's not too far from the Intercontinental - and half the price. But if you want the "comfort level" you mentioned by sticking with Regent's accomodations and their included transfer to the ship, then that's the way to do it. It will not be a mistake. It's never a mistake visiting Rome! :) We look forward to meeing you in person in October. Best Regards.

pingpong1...the cruise is booked and we decided to go with Regent for the entire program, including one night "pre - pre" as it where. As I stated since this is our first time to the Mediterranean, so if there is a problem, then we will leave it to Regent to figure out..

Certainly if we don't connect on the roll call, just look around the ship for the guy with the camera glued to his head..at least that is what DW thinks..

thanks to all that responded

• 6 months later...

Hello all!

Well, the excitement is mounting. The "staging area" looks like a war zone with suitcases, piles of clothes and such. We are staying at the Hotel Hiberia "pre-pre cruise", and the Carlton on the Grand Canal "post-post". We look forward to meeting up with everyone onboard, or before. We finally got our cabin assignment: 642. the last time we were in Venice, we experienced the "aqua alta". This time I downloaded an app that let's you know about the tides and possibility of flooding. Let's hope for dry feet.

Judy

A couple of months ago we had an overnight stay in Rome in order to get a decent flight to Vancouver. We stayed at the Hilton - Airport. The room was nice -- the food was overpriced.......BUT, there was a free transfer to downtown Rome. We had a wonderful meal at a local Trattoria and were able to enjoy dinner at the airport.

There is a place in terminal 2 that has fresh mozzarella sandwiches/pizzas for a very low price. In the morning it was a fairly short walk to the terminal where we departed to Vancouver. We hope to be able to eat at the same place when we return to Rome next year.

And here we leave tomorrow to go to Orlando to fly to Rome for our 10/23 cruise. What have we packed? NOTHING! What is DH doing this AM--playing golf!!! I think while he plays golf and I wait for the fish pond man to come and clean the filter I may just pack a few things!!! Sometimes I think we carry this way too far the other way!!

Now I am beginning to get excited!

The Intercontinental is just OK IMHO. Don't get a room on the street side; it will be very noisy until very late at night. Also, don't get a room near the entertainment; the band plays until late at night and you'll hear it in your room.

Is anyone familiar with the Sheraton Golf Parco de' Medici Hotel & Resort in Rome?

We are on a cruise that starts in Rome and Regent has us booked here for our included pre-night hotel.

Does anyone know if there is a store within walking distance to buy hair spray and other large liquid items we can't take on the plane?

It is very far from downtown, but does mention on the website that they have a courtesy bus to the city.

Thank you!

Archived