Vancouver Start of 2013 Season

Scott - do you know why the Zaandam has come in so early - the next ship isn't until the 29th and the Zaandam isn't back until May 5?

Might try and get down there later today to welcome her.

Cheers

Dennis

Scott - do you know why the Zaandam has come in so early - the next ship isn't until the 29th and the Zaandam isn't back until May 5?

Might try and get down there later today to welcome her.

Cheers

Dennis

The Zaandam is doing a RT to Hawaii. Wish I was on it instead of in the office.

I gleamed this from the Port Metro Vancouver cruise listing;

This ship was apparently berthed at Canada Place from Feb 25 - 27, 2013

Amadea 00:01-18:00 Feb 25

Amadea 00:01-23:59

Amadea 08:45-18:21 Feb 27 - can't get the PDF to copy and paste properly.

Here's the link:

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/ShowFile.aspx?VesselName=

That was while i was away - any one know anything about that ship and why it would be in Vancouver during the winter.

Cheers

Dennis

A little Google search answered my own question:

http://fotoeins.com/2013/02/27/amadea-vancouver-canadaplace/

So just to stir the pot a little - wouldn't it be the first ship this cruise year and not the Zaandam.

The round trip to Hawaii was what I suspected.

Cheers

Dennis

A little Google search answered my own question:

http://fotoeins.com/2013/02/27/amadea-vancouver-canadaplace/

So just to stir the pot a little - wouldn't it be the first ship this cruise year and not the Zaandam.

The round trip to Hawaii was what I suspected.

It all depends what you count as the first

First ship to dock?

First ship to arrive that will be based here for the summer? (hence the beginning of the season)

I would think the latter, but I suppose the Amadea visiting back in Feb was the 1st of the year.

Does the season begin with the first ship that arrives in port in the new year?

Does the season begin with the first ship that sails from Vancouver to Hawaii in the new year?

Does the season begin with the first ship arrives from SOCAL and repositions from Vancouver to Seattle?

Or does the season begin with the first ship that departs from Vancouver to Alaska?

It's really a matter of semantics but in my opinion the season begins with the first cruise ship and the Alaska Cruise season (generally referred to as the "season" by Vancouverites) begins with the first ship departing from Vancouver to Alaska.

I did preface my post with a reference to stirring the pot and to have a little bit of fun and for the record I would concur with Putterdude that it should be the first ship to home port for the season and start it's home porting to Alaska not a trip to Hawaii and back so the first one to do that when I look at the port schedule would be the Voledamn starting on May 1, 2013 - those before that are making the Vancouver stop for regulatory reasons and are not home porting here.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Cheers

Dennis

I did preface my post with a reference to stirring the pot and to have a little bit of fun and for the record I would concur with Putterdude that it should be the first ship to home port for the season .....

Zaandam is home-ported out of Vancouver as of yesterday. It just so happens its 1st cruise is RT Hawaii, not RT Alaska. Given it leaves and returns back to Vancouver on a round-trip itinerary; I'm pretty sure you can call it the beginning of cruise ship season

But then, you don't have to take my word for it, you can take the port's, who held a press conference in honour of the start of the season.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1148063/media-advisory-port-metro-vancouver

Wow people can be a bunch of grumpies in here, in response to a nice photo and happy announcement.

There never was any question that the Zaandam will be returning in some 18 days to be home-ported in Vancouver for the Alaska Cruise Season...we all can read the port schedule. The question is did its arrival herald the beginning of "cruise season" .... some don't think so any more than the arrival of the Amadea did back in early February. However, I am the first to admit that weather aside it did make a great photo op breast beating event for the port and tourist folks. As for being "grumpies" we would need to take a number and stand in line for that designation.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived