Best way to do the Biobay on our trip?

divinmule

We will be in PR Aug 10th arriving at the airport about 3:30 pm. I am trying to figure out the best way to do the biotour that night.

I really don't want to get into renting a car and driving that far late at night after a long day traveling. I went to PR about 20 yrs ago and I remember the driving was very aggressive there. Maybe it has changed by now but I still wouldn't want to make the long drive back.

So I figure we have three options....

Stay near the airport, check in quick, then get a cab or preferrably shuttle to Fajardo for the tour, then the next morning get a taxi to the port.

Stay near Fajardo so our cab from the airport gets us pretty close to the tour location, then take a local shuttle to the tour, and then take a taxi to the port the next morning. (Sounds like alot of money for the taxi drivers)

Finally, arrive at the airport, taxi to a hotel near the port, then catch a shuttle to Fajardo for the tour. (assuming the shuttle fills with enough participants) I just worry we might lose too much time driving to Old San juan and checking in before we can head on the tour.

Anybody have ideas about these options?

Recommendations?

Thanks so much

We went to the biobay with East Island excursions and they picked us up at our hotel about 2:30. Seems like you would miss that shuttle if thats the company you were going with.

Probably your best bet would be to rent a car and get there fast, just find out the latest you could arrive for the trip. Seems far for a taxi ride, don't know what that would cost.

We did the biobay from our cruise this past November. We wanted to do the electric motor tour instead of the kayak tour so we had to do it on our own as the ship only offered a kayak tour. We used the tour guide recommended by the electric motor company. He picked us up outside the ship and waited for us while we did the tour. It was $150 for the driver. It would have been great had we found others to share the cost with.

We did the biobay from our cruise this past November. We wanted to do the electric motor tour instead of the kayak tour so we had to do it on our own as the ship only offered a kayak tour. We used the tour guide recommended by the electric motor company. He picked us up outside the ship and waited for us while we did the tour. It was $150 for the driver. It would have been great had we found others to share the cost with.

Hi there, please would you be able to tell me was that 150 the return price? Also how long was the drive to the electric motor? Is it a very windy road? Thank you.

We will be in PR Aug 10th arriving at the airport about 3:30 pm. I am trying to figure out the best way to do the biotour that night.

I really don't want to get into renting a car and driving that far late at night after a long day traveling. I went to PR about 20 yrs ago and I remember the driving was very aggressive there. Maybe it has changed by now but I still wouldn't want to make the long drive back.

So I figure we have three options....

Stay near the airport, check in quick, then get a cab or preferrably shuttle to Fajardo for the tour, then the next morning get a taxi to the port.

Stay near Fajardo so our cab from the airport gets us pretty close to the tour location, then take a local shuttle to the tour, and then take a taxi to the port the next morning. (Sounds like alot of money for the taxi drivers)

Finally, arrive at the airport, taxi to a hotel near the port, then catch a shuttle to Fajardo for the tour. (assuming the shuttle fills with enough participants) I just worry we might lose too much time driving to Old San juan and checking in before we can head on the tour.

Anybody have ideas about these options?

Recommendations?

Thanks so much

I was struggling to figure out the logistics when we arrived in March as well. We landed a little earlier than you, and I felt pressed for time before we got there too. We rented a mini-van from Charlie's, ($80) who picked us up at the airport & shuttled us to the rental car location in Isla Verde. We checked into our hotel and left there about 4:15 to head to Fajardo. There was a terrible rainstorm as we drove, and I worried about the tour taking place. The drive after leaving SJ proper was easy, even with the torrential rain. We did the early tour with check in at 6pm. It did not take an hour to get there, so we were plenty early, & as my directions were a little off, it was nice to have time to find the location.

We went with Kayaking Puerto Rico and they offered transportation with an extra fee but you had to have a minimum to qualify. It is a great time, and there was a bunch of booths set up selling trinkets and food. The guy who is selling the kabobs has great food. But the spicy is really spicy, so be warned! :eek: The experience was very cool, it was myself, DH & our 2 sons 18 & 10. Everyone thought it was amazing, even though myself & oldest son ended up heading into the mangroves more than we should have! ;)

We stayed in Isla Verde, and the drive back took about 40 minutes, and there was not really any traffic. The next day, Charlie's shuttled us to the ship. BTW-if you forget gas, it is just a little further north of the Rental Lot, and they will let you go get it rather than over charge you for their gas...Not saying I forgot!! :o It was great to have a car, and it made it easy to pick up water & a few snacks for our excursions, along with any other items you may need or have forgotten.

It was a great experience, and I hope it works out for you!! :D

Hi there, please would you be able to tell me was that 150 the return price? Also how long was the drive to the electric motor? Is it a very windy road? Thank you.

The $150 price was round trip no matter the number of passengers. Our tour guide waited for us while we did the electric motor. I am glad we did not do the kayak tour as many people were struggling and getting caught up in the mangrove trees.

The drive to/from the cruise ship to the Biobay was about 1.5 hours each way. I don't remember any weather issues at all.

Thanks for the replies.

So far I haven't made up my mind. I just don't want us worn out before the cruise even begins trying to hurry here and hurry there.

We will be staying at the comfort inn and it sounds like renting a car would probably be best. How was it driving around PR? When I went years ago I just remember the driving to be very bad but that was mostly in town.

How was the drive back at night? Did you use a Garmin? was it pretty reliable?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

So far I haven't made up my mind. I just don't want us worn out before the cruise even begins trying to hurry here and hurry there. I get that...We flew to ATL and got to our hotel around 10pm, up and out by 5:30 (2:30 am in AZ) to fly out at 8am. We arrived in SJ around 12:45pm, and I didn't sleep at all that day. Somehow, it worked out that I didn't feel exhausted! :D

We will be staying at the comfort inn and it sounds like renting a car would probably be best. How was it driving around PR? When I went years ago I just remember the driving to be very bad but that was mostly in town. Around town was a little aggressive, no doubt about it! :eek: I ended up driving, and DH was the passenger! :p

How was the drive back at night? It was really easy & not a lot of people on the street.

Did you use a Garmin? I used my iPhone to get back was it pretty reliable? It was pretty easy to navigate back, I didn't actually need any direction until we go close to Isla Verde, just to be certain what exit to take.

Thanks!

I agree with others, though check the moonphase...http://www.calendar-365.com/moon/moon-phases.html It was great for our arrival night prior to the cruise, but not best the evening folllowing our cruise. Even though I didn't want to "rush" around, it really did work out better to go the night before. I think the excitement from the impending trip was enough to keep us going.

Safe travels & warm memories to you!

Does the moon have to be full? What timetable do I have if I arrive in SJ on Thursday, July 18th? I would like to go to Biobay that night, because I would rather a relaxing evening the night before the cruise. Full moon is July 22, according the calendar link posted.

Thanks so much for your input.

Does the moon have to be full? What timetable do I have if I arrive in SJ on Thursday, July 18th? I would like to go to Biobay that night, because I would rather a relaxing evening the night before the cruise. Full moon is July 22, according the calendar link posted.

Thanks so much for your input.

you do not want a full moon. No moon is best.

I would highly recommend the kayak trip. It was so serene and peaceful, and it was nice to be so low and close with the water. Dipping your paddle in and seeing the bioluminescence is an experience that won't be forgotten.

It was a very very easy paddle- so much so that my husband and I found that in our tandem kayak only one of us could paddle at a time, or else we would end up ahead of our guide who was moving so slowly to allow us all to have a peaceful, relaxing trip.

We did it at no moon, and it was amazing. Since there is already 'light pollution' from a nearby town- I do think, if you will ever be in Puerto Rico again, waiting if you go at full moon is a good idea. If this is your one and only trip, I'd ask the company to tell you what kind of visibility you should expect at a full moon. (And then hope for a cloudy night!)

Archived