Infants and Cabins

Baxter

We're looking for advice from those who have sailed with infants. We are thinking of taking a cruise with an infant who would be in a crib. If you have done the same, what cabin category would you recommend?

We're not looking for responses like "don't take an infant on a cruise". We've have read all of those comments, and they're really not helpful. Don't worry...I'll announce the sailing far enough in advance so that you can book at another time ;)

Thanks in advance :)

If you can afford it, get the largest cabin you can... one of the suites. At the least, book a mini suite. You are going to need all the room you can get. The balcony will be a plus so that you and your DW can relax while the baby naps inside.;) Also, you are going to need a bathroom with a tub.

We managed fine with our 7 month old in an outside cabin. Of course it would have been nicer if it was a bigger cabin...Perhaps a balcony cabin would be better as you can still enjoy the view when your baby is sleeping.

How old is your little one? Crawling? Walking?

Hi, I have sailed with my daughter at 4 months and 11 months old, and will be on the Sun with her at 13 months old. We have had inside cabins all 3 times, and it worked nicely for us. We used the crib/pack'n'play provided by the cruise line and it fit into the standard room with a little re-arranging of the bed. My tip is to move the queen bed all the way to the wall and then there should be enough room to put the crib between the wall and the side of the bed. You will need to climb in and out of your bed via the foot end, but it's worth it as otherwise the crib would seemingly take up the entire cabin space. I also suggest taking your own crib bedding (sheet, blanket) in case your little one is sensitive to the soap that the cruise line washes their bedding in. Also, wipe down the crib with a disinfectant wipe the first time, as they are stored in sometimes dirty places on the ship when not in use.

As far as the shower/bath issue is concerned, if you can't afford a cabin with a bath, just have your little one get used to having a shower with you before you cruise. When our daughter was 4 months old, we just put a washcloth over the drain in the shower and took the removable shower head down to her level to wash her, she didn't mind at all. The last time, we just held her in the shower and quickly washed her off before she got too slippery.

Another good tip is to take a good, comfortable stroller with you that reclines and has lots of storage space. There are no change tables in the washrooms onboard, so we just changed her in the stroller, in a handicapped stall, in the public washrooms, when our cabin was too far away. Also, she can sleep though anything, so when she was tired, we just reclined the seat back and went on doing whatever we were doing.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Jenn

Cruised on Carnival Victory over Thanksgiving. We had an outside room but not a suite. It worked O.K. but we don't have anything to compare it to. He did fine and the space was reasonable. This is the first Princess ship we'll be on so it should be interesting. Leave on 6/25...there's everyone's "fair warning"...HA. The baby is now 14 months and I'm sure it will be interesting.

As far as the shower/bath issue is concerned, if you can't afford a cabin with a bath, just have your little one get used to having a shower with you before you cruise. When our daughter was 4 months old, we just put a washcloth over the drain in the shower and took the removable shower head down to her level to wash her, she didn't mind at all. The last time, we just held her in the shower and quickly washed her off before she got too slippery.

Great tip for bathing in the shower! i forgot that most of the ship showers have the removable wand. One thing that would bother me with that trick is the extra leaning over with a bad back. The ship tubs are really set up high and would make easier bathing IMO. If your infant is very tiny, then bathing in the sink may work.

I would never recommend holding an infant in the shower. It's bad enough that the baby would get slippery, but the ship sways somewhat and you could lose your balance easily. Hard enough to hold on yourself, but to hold your infant at the same time...:eek:

Does Princess provide babysitting for infants. Thinking about cruising on Princess with an 8 month old. Also what kiind of experiences have you occured with infants at dinner shows etc....

One last question how infant friendly really is Princess in comparison to say Disney?

Princess does not provide 'in cabin' babysitting. But they do provide for older children.

From the Princess website:

A $5 USD per child per hour group babysitting charge is applicable from 10 p.m.-1 a.m. for youth passengers ages 3-12.*

Archived