Dubrovnik with young lazy kids!!!

Hi All,

We will be visiting dubrovnik in June and it is the one port that I am most looking forward too!!! My only concern is I will have a just 4 year old and a 6 year old who aren't the most active kids!!! For them to walk a half a mile is allot!! Im starting to think walking the walls will just be a dream.

Has anyone else done this with kids??

Hi All,

We will be visiting dubrovnik in June and it is the one port that I am most looking forward too!!! My only concern is I will have a just 4 year old and a 6 year old who aren't the most active kids!!! For them to walk a half a mile is allot!! Im starting to think walking the walls will just be a dream.

Has anyone else done this with kids??

The wall is 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 1080 steps. Do you believe your children would be able to make the trek which could take up to 2 hours? Is it possible that your ship may have any type of activities for children who might be better off staying onboard. The old part of town is car free, walking is the only way to get around.

How obedient are your children? The top of the walls are not even and there are no railings. There are some places with shear drops. If your children will cope with having their hands firmly held for that length of time it is well worth the visit as it is spectacular.

How obedient are your children? The top of the walls are not even and there are no railings. There are some places with shear drops. If your children will cope with having their hands firmly held for that length of time it is well worth the visit as it is spectacular.

YES!! Excellent point above. It's not just the distance and steps, but some kids and adults do not do as well with dealing with heights. Personally, I super loved the wall walk. Would not have missed it for anything!! The idea of leaving them on the ship might have good merit. Below are some ideas for how the wall walk looks, etc. Discuss it more with your kids to see if they can get motivated for this type of experiences. What else is liked and/or viewed as exciting by your kids?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! Why?? See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 14,555 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 127,810 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

Here is a view along a portion of the Dubrovnik wall as it sits on top of the rocks, overlooking the water of the Adriatic Sea.: Facing the Adriatic Sea, this is one of the gates and passages along the walled walk. Very scenic!!:

4aDubrWallWalkGateWaterView.jpg

From high above Dubrovnik, here is a top view of a portion of the wall. You don't need to walk the whole wall. You can do the portion closest to the water/sea, get great views, etc.:

DubrWallsFromHighView.jpg

Thanks for the response all. Have decided that maybe DH and the kids can do the cable car while I do the walk. Not comfortable in leaving them on the ship so my DH will just have to come back to Dubrovnik on another cruise or holiday!!! Beside he is getting to climb the leaning tower so its my turn;).

Thanks for the response all. Have decided that maybe DH and the kids can do the cable car while I do the walk. Not comfortable in leaving them on the ship so my DH will just have to come back to Dubrovnik on another cruise or holiday!!! Beside he is getting to climb the leaning tower so its my turn;).

mairead224: TLCOhio great review there!!!

Appreciate your kind viewpoint and comments on my pictures. Glad to know you're a person of such high class' date=' great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

Sounds like you are being creative and coming up with good options to make it "ALL" work with your family. Keep up the good planning, research and preparation. Let us know any added questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 127,810 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We went with our children when they were 13 & 10 & we had a great day out on a boat trip exploring the Elaphite Islands do Lopud, Sipan & Kolocep. We were picked up by the boat which sailed round the the walls of Dubrovnik - we got a great view from the sea then we sailed to the 3 islands in turn, spending time at each stop, swimming in the sea & exploring a little - it was a lovely day or us, included lunch & drinks & entertainment by a Croatian Band; would thoroughly recommend to any family!

Another idea may be to visit Lokrum Island. We took a taxi into the town with our children - we did then walk the walls but they were older. We then got a boat from the harbour out to the island and spent the rest of the day swimming etc. If you took a taxi you could then just walk down the main street - buy an ice-cream en route to the harbour to catch the boat. However, If I recollect correctly the beach was stony not sandy.

Another idea may be to visit Lokrum Island. We took a taxi into the town with our children - we did then walk the walls but they were older. We then got a boat from the harbour out to the island and spent the rest of the day swimming etc. If you took a taxi you could then just walk down the main street - buy an ice-cream en route to the harbour to catch the boat. However, If I recollect correctly the beach was stony not sandy.

There are no beaches on Lokrum, just a rocky coast which might prove difficult for very small children.

• 2 weeks later...

We travelled with our children (aged 3 and 5 years) last year. We went on the cable car first thing in the morning (which the children absolutely loved) and then went for a light lunch in the old town.

We then took the children back to the ship and they had a great time in the Fun Factory (Celebrity) while we went back and did the wall walk.

This worked out great!

It is possible to just walk 1/2 the wall. We were just there and I was suprised how many families I saw with young children. I think children would love it if you were not in a hurry. There are cannons, and turrets like mini jails. There is also 2 cafe's with tables, umbrella's and bathrooms. The first part of the wall is the most scenic, with lots of town life going on the other side. We exited and took the cable car at the midway point, then rejoined the wall. The cable car was very busy with a long line, (45 min)we were there around 1030 I think. There is also a marina near the 1/2 way point with boat rides and lots of restaurants. Hats, and sunscreen are a must. Met a young lady 87!!! who walked the whole thing.

It is possible to just walk 1/2 the wall. We were just there and I was suprised how many families I saw with young children. I think children would love it if you were not in a hurry. There are cannons, and turrets like mini jails. There is also 2 cafe's with tables, umbrella's and bathrooms. The first part of the wall is the most scenic, with lots of town life going on the other side. We exited and took the cable car at the midway point, then rejoined the wall. The cable car was very busy with a long line, (45 min)we were there around 1030 I think. There is also a marina near the 1/2 way point with boat rides and lots of restaurants. Hats, and sunscreen are a must. Met a young lady 87!!! who walked the whole thing.

Having young children myself (aged 3 and 6 years), I would not do the wall walk with this age group. Maybe from 10 years old, you could do it. We never saw any children doing it - plenty children on the cable car and I would still definitely recommend this for young children.

Hi all

Thank you so much for the replies. We have decided after much debate that we are going to try and walk as much of the wall as possible and then do the cable car. Probably not ideal for us but my husband really wants to try and walk the wall as well so considering we are not in a rush we will give it a go. If all comes to all and I know it will, my husband will turn around and head into the town with the girls while I continue some of the way.

Hi all

Thank you so much for the replies. We have decided after much debate that we are going to try and walk as much of the wall as possible and then do the cable car. Probably not ideal for us but my husband really wants to try and walk the wall as well so considering we are not in a rush we will give it a go. If all comes to all and I know it will, my husband will turn around and head into the town with the girls while I continue some of the way.

The wall is walked counter clockwise only, once up there he must continue until he reaches the halfway point at the Maritime Museum. You also must understand the wall was begun to be built during the 11th Century and the steps are small in many places. Trying to carry two children could prove to be dangerous for you, your husband and other guests. Perhaps he can do the wall on his own and and you and the girls can wait at one of the local outdoor cafes nearby the exit.

• 1 month later...
Hi all

Thank you so much for the replies. We have decided after much debate that we are going to try and walk as much of the wall as possible and then do the cable car. Probably not ideal for us but my husband really wants to try and walk the wall as well so considering we are not in a rush we will give it a go. If all comes to all and I know it will, my husband will turn around and head into the town with the girls while I continue some of the way.[/quot

I've been curious to how your day on the wall went?:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Having just got back from The Carnival Sunshine I thought it'd be useful to reserect this post.

My children are nearly 4 and 6 and a half. I doubt anyone would describe them as active!

We walked the walls from the pile gate to the exit just passed the harbour, so probably about 1/2th to 2/3rds of the way round. Despite the heat and the lack of shade they manged it fairly comfortably. Apart from the initial steps ( carried the 3yo old up there) the walk is reasonably steady. The wall was always high/ safe enough to not need to hold their hands. They enjoyed the cannons and the little jail cell like turrets.

We stopped at the first kiosk for drinks- man you'd happily pay a kings ransom for a cool drink at that point, and then had a proper sit down at the cafe with the canopy's later on.

Views were breathtaking

We then pottered around the town for a bit and walked to the cable car and had another ice cream and drink at the panorama cafe before heading back to the cruise shuttle.

Archived