Help me understand this package/coverage

OnTheBrink

I have never purchased trip insurance before. For this trip, my husband and I will be traveling without our kids. My primary concern is the idea of cancelling the trip if something happens with the kids - sick, etc - that would keep us home or need us to get back to them.

Can anyone take a peek at this and tell me what all this means? Will it cover what I need? I booked 10 days ago, so I feel like I need to get it nailed down ASAP.

verage limits are per person. Plan cost is for all persons.

Company

Plan Name Gold

(ProtectAssist)

Plan Terms Full Details

Plan Type Package

Total Policy Cost $154.60

Available to Travelers from U.S.

Customer Rating

362 plan reviews

Trip Cancellation $695

Trip Interruption $1,043

Financial Default 14 day wait

Terrorism in Itinerary City Foreign & U.S. Domestic

Cancel For Any Reason 50% of non-refundable trip cost (+$44.60)

Travel Baggage $1,000 2

Travel Baggage Delay 24+ hours

$300 max. 2

Travel Delay 5+ hours

$150/day; $750 max. 2

Medical $25,000 2

Dental $500 Incl. in Medical 2

Emergency Medical Evacuation $500,000 2

24-Hour Emergency Assistance Yes

Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver Included

Pre-Existing Condition Period 180 Days

Insurance Company National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh

A.M. Best Rating A

Refund Policy 15 Day Review Period

Rental Car Collision/Loss (per policy) $0

$35,000 ($250 ded.) (+$48)

Accidental Death - 24-Hour Optional

Accidental Death - Common Carrier Optional

Accidental Death - Flight $50,000

Flight Upgrade

$0

$100,000 (+$21)

$200,000 (+$39)

$300,000 (+$57)

$400,000 (+$75)

$500,000 (+$93)

Policy Fulfillment Email

Postal

Domestic Next-day

Express - Overnight (+$15)

Additional Options Cancel For Work Reasons (+$51)

Umbrella Package (+$37)

Travel Supplier Restrictions Details

Additional Notes Identity Theft Services

Total Policy Cost $154.60

Plan Name Gold

(ProtectAssist)

Company

Coverage limits are per person. Plan cost is for all persons.

The summary you posted didn't give enough information. You need to look at the definition of "family member" and "pre-existing condition" to see if cancelling due to injury or illness of a non-traveling family member is covered. You also need to look at what the definition of "need to cancel" is - for example, is it enough that your kids are sick, or does a doctor have to certify that you must be available to care for the kids?

You also have "cancel for any reason" which of course would cover the kids, if you cancel within the appropriate timeframe. But it only returns 50% of the cost of the cruise.

You would be better off to talk to a representative of the insurance company or an agency that sells it. We purchase our travel insurance thru tripinsurancestore.com and have never had a problem. The reps are all very knowledgeable and helpful. They will advise you on the best plan and coverage to meet your specific needs. Good luck;)

After you talk with the representative have them send you an e-mail detailing what you discussed. If you should ever have a problem, you would then have written documentation.

Very good point;). I usually do a "live chat" and there is the option to have the recorded session emailed to you. I will then save the email in case needed for reference or documentation.

Please contact them, I found them on CC This is the first time that I have purchased trip insurance from them. They were very helpful in finding me a policy for what I needed for our family of 12 we needed to have a policy that covered pre-exiting condition(our Granddaughter has asthma) Hopefully we won't have to use it for that but they were able to tell me what policy I needed to buy.

I have used another insurance comparision website before but I really liked The Trip Insurance Store.

Please contact them, I found them on CC This is the first time that I have purchased trip insurance from them. They were very helpful in finding me a policy for what I needed for our family of 12 we needed to have a policy that covered pre-exiting condition(our Granddaughter has asthma) Hopefully we won't have to use it for that but they were able to tell me what policy I needed to buy.

I have used another insurance comparision website before but I really liked The Trip Insurance Store.

Agree.....use them all the time and they are totally the best:):):). Even if you are on a trip you can call them with any questions or help.

Archived