Suddenly Paranoid about Flying with Alcohol

Rick&AJ

We’re leaving in 36 hours for our long awaited cruise and are now in the midst of packing. If I pack wine or (especially) champagne, wrapped in bubble wrap and secure within our stowed luggage, how great a risk is there of this breaking (or exploding) during flight? What kinds of problems might I be setting myself up for? We’re just trying to decide if it’s even worth the hassle, so greatly appreciate any advise from all of you "seasoned smugglers". :p

We’re leaving in 36 hours for our long awaited cruise and are now in the midst of packing. If I pack wine or (especially) champagne, wrapped in bubble wrap and secure within our stowed luggage, how great a risk is there of this breaking (or exploding) during flight? What kinds of problems might I be setting myself up for? We’re just trying to decide if it’s even worth the hassle, so greatly appreciate any advise from all of you "seasoned smugglers". :p

You DO NOT want to put it in with your stowed luggage, you want to put it in your carry on. Unless you like your clothes doused with champagne. You're not setting yourself up for anything, screeners see it all the time. Usually they'll just ask if they can come to the party. My classic example is 14 bottles a couple of years ago after a cruise. I just wrapped them tight and stuck them in my carryon. No problems.

Dana

You DO NOT want to put it in with your stowed luggage, you want to put it in your carry on. Unless you like your clothes doused with champagne. You're not setting yourself up for anything, screeners see it all the time. Usually they'll just ask if they can come to the party. My classic example is 14 bottles a couple of years ago after a cruise. I just wrapped them tight and stuck them in my carryon. No problems.

Dana

I have put it in checked luggage for years, nothing to worry about. Just bubble wrap it and ziplock it.

If your biggest worry is about the possibility of the bottles breaking in flight, you may want to consider buying your wine after you arrive at your departure city. I would not try to bring any alcohol aboard in my carryon luggage...there is a good chance it will be confiscated. Paul

I have put it in checked luggage for years, nothing to worry about. Just bubble wrap it and ziplock it.

Does the same thing apply to electronic equip? (radio/cd player)

My boombox is too bulky for my carry-on, and wondering of it's safety in my checked bag. If I wrap it in bubble-wrap, in the original carton, with the styrofoam, will it be safe from the bouncing at airports? .... and satisfy the TSA folk?

Either way will work, no problems, I brought a full case of micro brew beer back from vermont for a friend here in Florida. The security screeners had fun guessing what kind it was and joked about a one beer toll to let it on the plane, so no worries there. I would as posted above buy it on the other end though. I pack a suit case in a suit case then at my destination use the empty for booze and you are good to go. No worries about leakage in transit.

Smooth sailing

buy the booze when you land

Get Plastic bottles of booze! I brought a couple of 5th's.:eek: I did have my luggage inspected by who ever.. There was a note in my luggage. This was on my was home but you never know when it will happen.. I din't think the airlines will take it but I might be wrong...

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005fed3

spacer.gifTravelers & Consumers printer_button.gifPrintable Version spacer.gifTransporting Special Items Transporting Alcoholic Beverages

Alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage. Up to 5 liters of alcohol with alcoholic content between 24% and 70% are allowed per person as carry-on or checked luggage if packaged in its retail container. Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcoholic content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

Please check with your airline for any further restrictions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Having said that, I usually transfer mine to appropriately sized platypus bottle. They don't add any taste and the suitcase will vaporize before they will.

http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=2

The tubes are cardboard cores from the shrink wrap at work. I cut them a little longer than a fifth, cut them down the middle so they can stretch over a bottle and wrap them in bubble wrap. I have used them for several years and even loaned them to friends to carry booze back from the islands since those are always glass bottles.

just wrap the bottles with tee shirts rolled tight or your pj's. I agree, go plastic when ever you can. Walmart sells a rubbermaid clear seal quart and pint bottle with pour spout. they fit nicely in freezer zip locks for extra leak proof protection.

And if you have very littleones disposalble diapers make nice cushions ;)

Thanks for the great suggestions! And for not frying me for asking a stupid question...:p I'm thinking I will just buy it on the other end, provided we've got time on Sunday morning. I really like the suggestion of putting a suitcase inside of a suit case! I'll try to make that work.

Our flight leaves in only 8 hours so guess I better finish packing. (It's already past midnight, but I never can sleep before a trip.) This is our first cruise and these boards have really helped to increase the excitement and anticipation. Now what am I going to do for fun when I get back from this cruise???:o

just returned from a week cruise and packed only one bottle of wine wrapped in a towel. Champagne I heard may pop due to pressure on the plane. I highly suggest you bring on your carry on. They do not care if you have 20 bottles stowed away in your carry on. Its only when you reach port you have to stowe liquor till the end. In San Juan there was a duty free liquor store 20 feet away from boarding and the store said you can bring as many bottles as you'd like. I stocked up and worked best for me were the mini bottles of malibu rum and bacardi which I conveniently poured in my 1.75 cokes are all day or pinneaple juice. Now I'm not sure whre you're leaving from but your carry on is your best bet...

We packed champagne in a suitcase to take to our son's graduation from college. We traveled by automobile and handled the baggage ourselves. Still, when we got to our hotel room, the jiggling of the suitcases was too much for the bottles, and the champagne exploded...smelled like champagne all weekend! Oh well.....

Archived