Graffiti is already all over the Breakaway, before it even comes to NYC!

rydan

Any tribute to Coney Island? (Gosh, they should open a Nathan's stand....)

Does anyone else see the hidden mickey in this pic? LOL

97jp8y.jpg

I thought it was a heart, but I love Mickey!!! All the art is great! Thanks to whoever posted pics!!!!

We cant hold places as hallowed ground every time because something bad happened there.

Painting a mural depicting names of places that are still there, but damaged and calling it insensitive is like forgetting a loved one who has passed on, and never showing a picture or talking about them because it is too difficult to deal with.

I think it's nostalgic and wonderful, please rethink your feelings on this.

It's the fond memories of the past people or events in our lives that make us who we are.

Embrace what you had, not what you lost...

Warmest regards,

Rydan

Well said!

These are great!

I'm on the fence though about a few. Both Rockaway Beach and Fire Island sustained substantial damage during Sandy. As a Native New Yorker (but not of either town), I initially got pangs of pain because it reminded me that Rockaway and Fire Island got really slammed (decimated in some spots). Perhaps some consideration may have been given.

Thoughts from fellow New Yorkers' are welcome.

I saw the painting of Rockaway Beach and wanted to burst into a Ramones song. lol.

Looks great, can't wait to see it all in person in November!

What I can't understand is why anyone wants to be reminded about "back home" or terra firma in general when on a cruise. On a ship, I don't want to see a Starbucks, a Harley Davidson T-shirt, nor an impression of the Statue of Liberty or a sign for Rockaway Beach. For that matter, let's get away from the increasingly common background 80s music, which provides all of the sailing ambience of The Home Depot or CVS.

What I can't understand is why anyone wants to be reminded about "back home" or terra firma in general when on a cruise. On a ship, I don't want to see a Starbucks, a Harley Davidson T-shirt, nor an impression of the Statue of Liberty or a sign for Rockaway Beach. For that matter, let's get away from the increasingly common background 80s music, which provides all of the sailing ambience of The Home Depot or CVS.

Breakaway is "the best of NYC"

I guess the Breakaway is not your ship of choice.

We cant hold places as hallowed ground every time because something bad happened there.

Painting a mural depicting names of places that are still there, but damaged and calling it insensitive is like forgetting a loved one who has passed on, and never showing a picture or talking about them because it is too difficult to deal with.

I think it's nostalgic and wonderful, please rethink your feelings on this.

It's the fond memories of the past people or events in our lives that make us who we are.

Embrace what you had, not what you lost...

Warmest regards,

Rydan

Rockaway Beach and a good chunk of Fire Island weren't damaged, they were destroyed. I never said it was insensitive but perhaps some may be oversensitive. Someone will board Breakaway that may have lost everything on Rockaway. Good Logic Rydan and I agree to keeping the memories of good things, places and people alive (to a certain extent), then why no reference to the most iconic symbols of a bygone era ... The Twin Towers. I watched them get built. I have so many fond memories of going there for lunch, to shop, etc. But the memory of that area is being systematically wiped from our memories, like they never existed.

btw I just love the artistry!

Rockaway Beach and a good chunk of Fire Island weren't damaged, they were destroyed. I never said it was insensitive but perhaps some may be oversensitive. Someone will board Breakaway that may have lost everything on Rockaway. Good Logic Rydan and I agree to keeping the memories of good things, places and people alive (to a certain extent), then why no reference to the most iconic symbols of a bygone era ... The Twin Towers. I watched them get built. I have so many fond memories of going there for lunch, to shop, etc. But the memory of that area is being systematically wiped from our memories, like they never existed.

btw I just love the artistry!

Good observation, But the Hull Art was approved and work started WAY before Sandy hit, the art is lighthearted whimsy from the mind of a colorful artist.

Depicting buildings that were destroyed by murdering A--HOLES, is a far cry from a natural disaster. It would be like depicting a murder scene.

The scars run much deeper then the twin towers for everyone. So, I disagree with the logic as to why the towers not being represented. Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Rydan

These are great!

I'm on the fence though about a few. Both Rockaway Beach and Fire Island sustained substantial damage during Sandy. As a Native New Yorker (but not of either town), I initially got pangs of pain because it reminded me that Rockaway and Fire Island got really slammed (decimated in some spots). Perhaps some consideration may have been given.

Thoughts from fellow New Yorkers' are welcome.

I feel proud to know all of our wonderful towns and cities are represented on the Breakaway. People from all over the world will get a piece of NY when they sail on this boat. Plus, I won't be so home sick ;)

I love NCL's painted hulls, especially the ones in the public areas, like the promenade and pool decks. I think these look great and continue the NCL heritage. Do they have this kind of art on Epic?

And add me to the list of folks who wish this company had been hired to do the signature hull art, too. :p

Graffiti4hire is a UK based group of artists that have been commissioned to paint the murals on most of Breakaways outside public spaces. Enjoy;

Maybe by the time we board on 5/19, NCL/DPW will have cleaned up all the Graffiti!!

Wow...this great..such a tribute to NYC,not to mention seeing CT on the map of LI SOUND AND BEING ABLE to pick out the areas that are important to all of us...this ship is def the ship for NYC and the whole tri-state area...

[quote name='Sauer-kraut']Any tribute to Coney Island? (Gosh, they should open a Nathan's stand....)

Does anyone else see the hidden mickey in this pic? LOL

[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/97jp8y.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

The company's latest branding frontier is the Norwegian Breakaway, a New York-centric ship debuting in May. It has formed a number of partnerships with New York institutions large and small to help recruit first-time cruisers from the area where it will homeport.

A high profile example is the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, who will serve as godmothers to the ship. [B]Breakaway will also have Sabrett hot dog stands[/B] and a pastry shop based on the reality show "Cake Boss."

[url]http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/All-brands-on-deck/[/url]

Dirty water dogs!!

Archived