Question about tipping on European Cruises

lkmamom

I asked at the purser's desk if it's better to do cash tips in US dollars or British pounds. They said dollars because the staff gets paid in dollars. It didn't make any sense to me at all--what does the currency used to pay their salary have to do with the best currency to tip them in?--but that's what they told us.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I would agree with you Beth, I would think that the staff would rather have the ponds or euros. It just helps to know ahead of time what cash to have available. I was reading above where cruisers were charged extra for room service, did anyone encounter that on their recent cruise?

Linda

Room service accepts ANY currency. I remember one morning which we ordered just coffee, and I had nothing smaller than a $20. I gave the service guy a 2 euro coin. He seemed pleased. Me, I felt kinda sheepish, it looked something like a big quarter (those susan b anothony dollars that i hate!) So whatever you have, if you give it, will be appreciated.

Archived