Category X

Sandy1975

Has anyone ever booked a cruise without knowing the actual cabin number?

We are going to Bermuda in August but I was looking around and found a good price for a June sailing. The only problem is that it says the following:

"Category: Y

Deck:

This category can be booked for a special rate, guaranteed to you. Please note that the category is not associated at the time of booking with a specific stateroom, deck, bedding configuration or other particular settings. The assignment of an actual cabin will be performed during your check-in. The cabin can be anywhere on the ship. "

I am looking at either an Ocean View or Balcony and both options have this category X / Y.

If booked, are the chances pretty high that we will get the worst cabin left?

Prepare for the worst hope for the best! :)

I've done it twice, both were inside gty. The first time we got an oceanview assigned :eek: which was great as we upgraded that to a balcony days before sailing at low cost.

Our next cruise in 2weeks is also was a gty inside, we've been assigned a cat 9 mid ships cabin which is as good as it gets for an inside so pretty pleased :)

I always assume it will be bad then don't get disappointed, but any cabin on a Celebrity ship is better than not cruising at all :D

We have done that quite often in past years. What we usually ended up with was a Deck Two or Three ocean view room. Once we were really fortunate to receive a forward facing room with a very large window and we really liked that cabin.

Finally, however, we have decided we are quite particular about where we want to be on the ship and the kind of cabin we want to have. I do ask the difference in price to do a guarantee, but the difference is seldom worth it to us to not choose our own cabin location and class.

You have to decide if the price differential is important to you...more important than having a cabin in a bad location either for noise or long walks or chimney smoke or small size.

Thanks for the replies.

These are GTY category I guess for either Ocean View and Balcony.

The difference for the Ocean view ones between assigned and unassigned is $500 total and for the Balcony is only $300.

My only fear with getting the Ocean View unassigned will be ending with Cabin 2181, which is horrible! We stayed in that cabin before and the Normandie prep kitchen is on top. Pans and pots were banged every day from 3-5 am. Chairs dragged, horrible headache inducing experience. Luckily Customer Service moved us to a different cabin after we complained for 2 consecutive days.

I will see what my husband thinks and if he thinks the price differential is worth the gamble.

One more thing to consider: For US/Canadian bookings, once a cabin is assigned, I believe celebrity generally allows passengers to move to another cabin in that exact same category. So once assigned if there is an available cabin you like better in that category, call your TA (if you used one) or Celebrity (if you did not use a TA). Of course, there may not be any cabins or any desirable cabins left by the time you are assigned.

Archived